Labadee Protesting again?

Just had a friend come off Freedom of the Seas and they were unable to dock at Labadee this past week because of protesting again?

Boats full of locals preventing docking so they had to turn away....

Can't find anything about this on any forum. Anybody know what is going on again in Haiti?

Just had a friend come off Freedom of the Seas and they were unable to dock at Labadee this past week because of protesting again?

Boats full of locals preventing docking so they had to turn away....

Can't find anything about this on any forum. Anybody know what is going on again in Haiti?

Don't know where your friend was, but I was on Freedom last week and we DID dock at Labadee as planned......I went to Nellies Beach all day.......no problems at all.....still on Freedom this week...eastern itinerary, and will be on again next week western and Labadee again.

The Allure (Oct. 2) dropped off 50 tons of emergency supplies in Haiti. The Captain said that for 9 mts. after the last hurricane in Haiti, every Royal ship that docked in Haiti delivered 150 tons of supplies for relief.

Surely, there must be some recognition of these efforts--I would assume protests would be short lived.

As was posted above, Freedom spent a lovely day at Labadee. No protests that we know of, the local vendors were polite and seemed happy to have us in their shops. I bought quite a few Christmas gifts while there, love the paper mache sculptures.

There were some motor boats about and a couple of fishing boats out while we were docking but didn't seem like any kind of protests.

I wonder if your friend was watching the parade of jet skis, para sail boat and others that were greeting us as we arrived.

The Allure (Oct. 2) dropped off 50 tons of emergency supplies in Haiti. The Captain said that for 9 mts. after the last hurricane in Haiti, every Royal ship that docked in Haiti delivered 150 tons of supplies for relief.

Surely, there must be some recognition of these efforts--I would assume protests would be short lived.

I was also on Allure's 10/2 cruise and saw the donations, which were offloaded for Haiti.....mattresses, blankets, sheets, rice, beans vegetables, fruit, drinks, and bottled water.

I sent the following off to RCCL Corporate, maybe they can organize something along the lines of my suggestion..

"After many cruises to Labadee on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity going back

to before there was a dock and we tendered from ship to shore, I feel that

something might be done to help Haiti.

After the Earthquake we saw a great amount of charity from RCCL to the Haitian

people and large amounts of lifesaving supplies off loaded in port.

Now after yet another devastating hit by nature the people who have never

recovered from the earthquake are faced with even MORE hardships from the

hurricane.

Although we are not booked on a cruise ( The Navigator of the Seas ) that will

be stopping in Labadee until March of 2018 we would like to think many fellow

cruisers would be interested in donating towards a Help Haiti type of fund.

Passengers on RCCL (all lines) could add a donation to the price of their booked

cruises which would go to supplies that would help the people of Haiti.

A small Help Haiti type event on each Caribbean sailing could be organized to

recognize those who contributed or wish to do so to the fund. We do use a part

of Haiti and this could be OUR way of expressing our appreciation to those less

fortunate.

Please think about this and the people of that struggling country.

Thank You "

(any thoughts on the idea?)

bosco

It's a horrible idea. From an obviously kind hearted soul.

Unfortunately the Haitian govt. is way too corrupt to give money to. It's a dictatorship led by inhuman bastards.

It's a 3rd world country. And Labadee is leased by the cruise line. There is nothing you can really do to help. Unless you go to Haiti and get involved the with habitat for humanity. At least then you will know that your donation of time will truly help those that are in need. But sending money won't do anything to help the innocent citizens of that horrid country.

However, I commend your humanity, but it is out of your control. God bless you, we need more people like you around that show compassion to those less fortunate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately the Haitian govt. is way too corrupt to give money to. It's a dictatorship led by inhuman bastards.

So you are saying there is NOT ONE agency operating in Haiti that could accept a few truck loads of rice, beans, dry milk, water and other supplies, and manage to deliver it to the people who need it most??? What about arrangements with Franklin Graham or one of the other recognized groups. THERE HAS TO BE AT LEAST ONE.

I am sure a large number of people are willing to help in some way, but may not be ready to head on over and start building houses, I did that 55 years ago.

bosco

It's a 3rd world country. And Labadee is leased by the cruise line. There is nothing you can really do to help. Unless you go to Haiti and get involved the with habitat for humanity. At least then you will know that your donation of time will truly help those that are in need. But sending money won't do anything to help the innocent citizens of that horrid country.

However, I commend your humanity, but it is out of your control. God bless you, we need more people like you around that show compassion to those less fortunate.

It sounds to me, like he is suggesting services or supplies, NOT money. AND unless you have worked with the people of Haiti, I wouldn't condemn their country. THEY don't think it is horrid.. Or the thousands I dealt with, didn't....

So you are saying there is NOT ONE agency operating in Haiti that could accept a few truck loads of rice, beans, dry milk, water and other supplies, and manage to deliver it to the people who need it most??? What about arrangements with Franklin Graham or one of the other recognized groups. THERE HAS TO BE AT LEAST ONE.

I am sure a large number of people are willing to help in some way, but may not be ready to head on over and start building houses, I did that 55 years ago.

bosco

There is not, I swear. First hand accounts from the USNavy who did spend a week there and received nothing but demands( not requests) for more and more resources and not a word of thanks. As has been said the government is beyond corrupt and the average citizen has no idea how to take any resources or aid and improve their conditions, and have zero desire to do anything on their own. They literally would rather stand in lines to get a daily ration of water and food than clean up their streets and rebuild

SL on Allure has forms to make a donation charged to your cruise account. I'm assuming they also have them at Guest Services. The form says it's also for the Bahamas too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There is not, I swear. First hand accounts from the USNavy who did spend a week there and received nothing but demands( not requests) for more and more resources and not a word of thanks. As has been said the government is beyond corrupt and the average citizen has no idea how to take any resources or aid and improve their conditions, and have zero desire to do anything on their own. They literally would rather stand in lines to get a daily ration of water and food than clean up their streets and rebuild

You saying that leads me to believe that you have never actually worked with the Haitian people. Or you have just seen a limited amount of Haitian people. Not all of them are like that. And it disgusts me that you would think that.:rolleyes:

Well everyone be warned then. They may or may not be turned away. Such a shame too because I'm sure they could use the docking fees after all the damage the country sustained from hurricane Matthew.

since Royal already runs the show there, not sure there are docking fees

You saying that leads me to believe that you have never actually worked with the Haitian people. Or you have just seen a limited amount of Haitian people. Not all of them are like that. And it disgusts me that you would think that.:rolleyes:

I don't give a flying leap regarding your opinion of me. But yes I have and when you go back less than six months after having spent a week building new schools, sheds for protecting generators and chicken coops and find that everything has been torn apart to be sold or bartered and are told( not asked, told) to build new ones you tend to lose all respect for the nation as a whole. I will never spend one red cent or donate my time again to the Haitians. There are a dozen other impoverished islands who not only appreciate what we do, they are right there building next to us and asking for ways to improve their lives with what limited resources they have.

I don't give a flying leap regarding your opinion of me. But yes I have and when you go back less than six months after having spent a week building new schools, sheds for protecting generators and chicken coops and find that everything has been torn apart to be sold or bartered and are told( not asked, told) to build new ones you tend to lose all respect for the nation as a whole. I will never spend one red cent or donate my time again to the Haitians. There are a dozen other impoverished islands who not only appreciate what we do, they are right there building next to us and asking for ways to improve their lives with what limited resources they have.

I'm sad that you are that hateful towards your fellow man.. Hopefully that isn't how you live your whole life.. Good luck and God Bless

I guess SPOOKWIFE has answered my question and then some.

There are NO Charities or Organizations that would be able to FAIRLY distribute any donated supplies to the Haitians.

there are NO Haitians that deserve our help.

I guess the truck loads of water and other humanitarian aid supplies that were off loaded on the newly built dock after the earthquake were all just a waste of time. Funny but the Haitians that were working in the resort ALL thanked us for helping.

Sorry I even started the post. I will wait and see if RCCL has any plans.

bosco