Disappointed Chef - Let down by Cruise Dictator Ken Mills

DisappointedChef

The whole thing is ridiculous. If the OP wasn't looking for his/her 15 minutes of fame, but was instead interested in satisfying a group of people with culinary skill, he/she should have stayed at home, or moved to Stockholm and opened a restaurant. Given the claim of knowledge of international cuisine, this should have been a winning point for a new dining venue. These chef shows on TV all deal with already proven restauranteurs who want to inflate their rep. OP professes a absolute love of cooking, yet only wants to be recognized in a competition. I know quite a lot of chefs who own their own series of restaurants, Portland is known as a "foodie" city, and their pleasure comes from satisfying each and every customer, not with being praised for being able to "cook on your feet" and think up recipes or cook in an impossible amount of time.

Dear Disappointed Chef,

PLEASE choose any other cruise line other than Celebrity. You clearly do not understand the function of entertainment on cruise ships. The cruise director had no option but to respond as he did when you accused him of being racist. Further, since probably over 95% of the passengers are from the US, it is quite understandable to ask what state someone is from. Paranoia has clearly set in. Also, your obsession with Top Chef is just beyond comprehension and frightening. It's a television show!

No! I'm sticking with pinning all the blame for the disappointment on Ken Mills!

My exact words to him on departure were' "A Cruise Director can make or break the experience for a Cruiser.....and he CHOSE to break it for me!!!!!!"

No - you chose to let it be broken by your victim-hood.

Stuart

What is an OP?

Forgive my ignorance.......but this is my "virgin" attempt at using a Cruise message board.

And no.......I am not an avatar/pseudonym/incarnation of Ken Mills.

I am based in a remote part of Sweden......and made the mistake of pinning too much hope on something I am extremely passionate about.

The number of responses is intriguing!!!!!

Well its nice you FINALLY admit it was YOUR mistake!:rolleyes:

I may be wrong but was this the only component of the "top Chef" cruise. What about the rest of the events.

My thought also. Were there any of the REAL Chefs on board? Many people here have posted about wonderful interactions with the real deal. This was mear entertainment that has been held on each of the last 3 Celebrity cruises we have been on. With only personal from the ships galley, no Top Chef's involved.

This complaint has all the hallmarks of a Chook raffle that used to be held in a lot of Aussie pubs in the outback on Friday nights.

Fifty tickets sold, lucky draw takes place by the barmaid, winner gets the

chook, others get to fight over what is perceived to be a "Cooked" raffle.

Hi Orator,

Here in Sweden we only have broadcasts of older seasons of Top Chef on TV. I just saw one episode filmed almost entirely on a Celebrity Cruise Liner yesterday......but once again......the contestants are all US Based Professional Chefs. I would willingly and happily sign up if the Competition was open to the rest of the world.

If I was one of the 4 selected for the Top Chef @ Sea.....I can assure you I would have requested the Ship's Chefs to take a back-seat and let me do justice to the job at hand.....as that would have injected a lot more creativity and originality to the "entertaining of the masses" aspect that you have referred to.

It's hard to describe and quantify "passion" in words......because actions speak louder than words......and plates please palettes better than words satiate hunger! LOL! That's an original quote!!!!:)

My husband was selected for this competition on a cruise in February. He wasn't a part of a large group, in fact was by himself in the Theater.

He loves to cook but we have seen the Top Chef competition on other sailing so he knew this wasn't a serious competition it is entertainment. While he is an excellent cook as was partner they were closely "supervised" by the Chef who oversaw their selection of ingredients and preparation.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, but this activity isn't one that is geared to showing one individuals creativity, originally and culinary skills. Had you been selected you would have had a partner, who may or may not have known how to cook, and along with the Chef ALL if you would have prepared the food.

This whole thread was hilarious to me! I really think he was trying to be funny (and he was). Even the repeated "remote part of Sweden" cracked me up! As if a person from a remote part of anywhere should have more of a chance to be "picked". It did not sound to me like English is his 2nd language either. (Or am I naive and is English the 1st language in remote areas of Sweden).

The other think that made me laugh was when he keeps saying how far he traveled, lol. He said nothing about the cruise other than wanting to get picked for Top Chef. That in itself makes me laugh, because are there really people like that?

All in all, I think maybe he is a remote Swede laughing at our current rigged political system or something!

Dear Disappointed Chef,

It appears that the responses to your situation is that either they do not take you seriously or they think you are wrong to be so disappointed.

I find both types of responses to be condescending and lacking in true empathy. Such lack of empathy is so easy to find in online posting.

I myself have had a similar experience to yours. No, I do not want to be a recognized chef it is enough that I eat my own cooking no one else should be required to do so. Rather as a result of obvious discrimination I have never NOT ONCE won the powerball. I am the first person on Wednesday and Saturday to buy a lottery ticket and I do so each and every week but do I ever win. NO!! I use the local minimarkets to buy my tickets so I am obviously doing the right thing but somebody does not like me otherwise I would win. I cannot blame it on my having Asian features (Actually I am a tall dark and handsome American also erudite and even easy to dance to) but I am sure there is something about me that leads to my rejection as a winner of the powerball.

Like you I would like to show the world what I can do. For you it is showing the world how good a cook you are; for me it is showing how flamboyant a spender of money I could be.

Still I have not given up my dream that someday I will win the powerball and my advice to you is not to give up on your dreams either.

This is written with all the empathy one man can have.

This whole thread was hilarious to me! I really think he was trying to be funny (and he was). Even the repeated "remote part of Sweden" cracked me up! As if a person from a remote part of anywhere should have more of a chance to be "picked". It did not sound to me like English is his 2nd language either. (Or am I naive and is English the 1st language in remote areas of Sweden).

The other think that made me laugh was when he keeps saying how far he traveled, lol. He said nothing about the cruise other than wanting to get picked for Top Chef. That in itself makes me laugh, because are there really people like that?

All in all, I think maybe he is a remote Swede laughing at our current rigged political system or something!

I would like to have thought that this was just an edgy attempt at humor, except for the pointed (repeated) attacks on the cruise director. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a huge fan of CD's (in general), or Mr. Mills (in particular). But, I don't see any ad hominem attack on someone who is not here to defend themselves as falling with in the letter or spirit of the CC guidelines. Just my $.02. :rolleyes:

I think you will find He is a She

I would like to have thought that this was just an edgy attempt at humor, except for the pointed (repeated) attacks on the cruise director. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a huge fan of CD's (in general), or Mr. Mills (in particular). But, I don't see any ad hominem attack on someone who is not here to defend themselves as falling with in the letter or spirit of the CC guidelines. Just my $.02. :rolleyes:

I do agree with you on that! He shouldn't have talked about someone by name if he was trying to be funny.

OP, please walk us through what you think would have happened had you been picked. Walk us through what would have happened on stage, what would have happened after the show was over, and how this "once in a lifetime opportunity" would have changed your life.

OP, please walk us through what you think would have happened had you been picked. Walk us through what would have happened on stage, what would have happened after the show was over, and how this "once in a lifetime opportunity" would have changed your life.

A date with Anthony Bourdain??

Or lost the competition

This complaint has all the hallmarks of a Chook raffle that used to be held in a lot of Aussie pubs in the outback on Friday nights.

Fifty tickets sold, lucky draw takes place by the barmaid, winner gets the

chook, others get to fight over what is perceived to be a "Cooked" raffle.

Betcha the 'chook' was "finger lickin' good"...

I think maybe the OP should consider contacting Celebrity to see if he can possibly get his cruise fare and airfare back - this discrimination has clearly caused the OP significant distress and suffering. It seems to have been the sole reason they have endured a journey from the wilds of Sweden to the USA, a journey previously thought as insurmountable to all but the bravest dare doers.

It might also be worthwhile discussing with celebrity to see if they can perhaps guest chef on future Celebrity Baltic Cruises that call in at Sweden. I'm sure it would be bring much joy for the other cruisers and adulation as they marvel at their cooking skills.

I have a lot of sympathy for the OP, I have recently contacted Celebrity to discuss a similar disappointment on our recent cruise and how I might be compensated. The grass was far too long at the Lawn club and it made the putting competition a complete lottery. Imagine my disappointment when I was unable to show my renowned putting skills and the actual competition was won by someone with no putting skills who was obviously on friendly terms with the Activities Manager. Fix I say. It was a complete waste of my time bringing my Scotty Cameron putter and Stimpmeter all the way from the Wild West Midlands. Some of the people taking part weren't even wearing proper golfing attire!

I never expected to find myself feeling sorry for Ken Mills, but I think Ken can expect to find himself being teased about this one for a long time to come.

You have replied to so many other posts and ignored mine.....Are you the Swedish chef from the Muppets? Please now just apply for something like 'strictly come dancing'.

No! No! Bad idea. Chemmo, please do not suggest this. :eek:

If you have ever seen Dancing With the Stripes, you should already know what the outcome would be.

The OP would return from the next cruise passionate about dancing and post here expressing extreme disappointment at not being selected to participate in the Dancing With the Stripes competition.

We will then need to get out the popcorn to wade through another long, passionate thread complaining how all the participants chosen were terrible dancers who reduced the decorous character of Dancing With the Stripes to farcical buffoonery. :D