Disappointed Chef - Let down by Cruise Dictator Ken Mills

DisappointedChef

I think maybe the OP should consider contacting Celebrity to see if he can possibly get his cruise fare and airfare back - this discrimination has clearly caused the OP significant distress and suffering. It seems to have been the sole reason they have endured a journey from the wilds of Sweden to the USA, a journey previously thought as insurmountable to all but the bravest dare doers.

Far too modest a suggestion. How about a class-action suit from the hundred other people who were not selected for the "competition" and were also traumatised by being discriminated against?

Stuart

Everyone disagreeing with the OP is wrong and insensitive. I have had to endure similar treatment on Celebrity Cruises before. Time and time again, I find myself purchasing cards for the Jackpot Bingo, however the person calling the Bingo game has not once called the 5 numbers I needed to win the jackpot (4, if you count the free space). OP, at least you got to stand up when your competition started. I have never had the opportunity to stand up at Bingo. Trust me, I am a serious amateur when it comes to Bingo, and I watch all of the Bingo shows from my remote part of New York. I completely understa......Ok, that's enough.

Seriously? This post is either comedic genius, or the work of a severely entitled person. OP, if you are actually being serious here, you need to get over yourself. If your idea of showing your culinary prowess is by competing in a cooking competition that most people will forget after it's over, then you should re-evaluate your priorities. I happen to like playing bocce, but I'm not going to write off cruising if I don't get to participate in the Officers vs Guests competition. Also, I love how you suggest the top quality TV programming on Bravo, as it isn't "slapstick-horseplay".....have you ever watched anything else on Bravo besides Top Chef? That entire network is trash. Anyway, if you want to cook that bad, then book a cruise on a ship with a Lawn Club Grill. Guess what, they'll let you cook your entire table's meal at that place, and the Silhouette sails from Amsterdam part of the year. That's a lot closer to you than Seattle.

P.S. I love that, if you decide to stay on CruiseCritic, your user name will forever be ridiculous.

Ugh, I have a bad feeling that I just played into the hands of this troll...

Edited by cgags47
  • Like 1

To pick four Americans on a cruise out of Seattle would not be unexpected.

I'm surprised nobody else has picked up on this.

It was the first thing I thought of.

Think of the % of US citizens on board. It's no wonder.

Also no wonder that they introduce themselves with their name and the state they're from. That's what people do.

I'm sure OP doesn't introduce himself in his own backyard as "from a remote part of Sweden".

Hello OP and all, I can't really take this thread seriously, It's a cruise ship and like ALL lines they have their own versions of popular tv shows, and it's supposed to be in FUN.

The cruise line i travel with have just introduced their version of "The Voice at sea." I wouldn't dream of saying the show was fixed simply because i wasn't selected, and to base your cruise on the premise of being selected for this Top Chef, IMO is at best, Naive.

The European equivalant of Top Chef i suppose is Masterchef, in Sweeden (Sveriges Masterkock) which has been running very successfully for a number of years. If i considered myself that good then i'd apply to be selected there (much less travel time and so nearer to home for you,) if you have and were not selected, would you then accuse the Sweedish tv corporation of discrimination?

This post is either comedic genius

I'm voting this. Aside from the content, some of the writing and expressions sounds far more US-ian than would be typical of a Swede, and as mentioned earlier even the show itself is US rather than Swedish; just doesn't add up.

No...anothe cruise won't help....the dream is dead....no options other than to wander the world...a restless spirt befret of a dream or purpose.....lol

I would like to add a comment, but I will refrain. Sorry(?) that you missed the opportunity. I guess you will need to cruise again for another chance to cook on a cruise ship.

This complaint has all the hallmarks of a Chook raffle that used to be held in a lot of Aussie pubs in the outback on Friday nights.

Fifty tickets sold, lucky draw takes place by the barmaid, winner gets the

chook, others get to fight over what is perceived to be a "Cooked" raffle.

Lol!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an ardent fan of Bravo's Top Chef, selecting the Celebrity Solstice was a cherry pick! The Top Chef at Sea competition was on the penultimate day of the Cruise so I waited my turn patiently. I reported to the venue early, sat in the front row....and was confident my passion for all things culinary would stand me in good stead. I was the first one on my feet when Contestants were called for. Imagine my disappointment when Cruise Director Ken Mills picked only contestants who were parts of large groups (because he wallows in applause and attention!). Ironically all contestants were American and the rest of the world was just NOT represented. Ken has no answer when queried why he had picked only Americans. 2 of his picks could barely peel a potato and of the 2 finalists......one couldn't remember the sauces her dish were embellished with, and the other couldn't remember the name of his dish. The Cruise Director and the Executive Chef reduced the decorous character of Top Chef to farcical buffoonery!!! Apart from sullying the good name of the World Class competition, eponymous with the Culinary Artists that frequent it, I was deprived of the opportunity of a lifetime only because of a discriminating Cruise Director! Ken Mills made it very obvious that the "Top Chef at Sea" is nothing more than a tick on his weekly To-Do list, and that lack of empathy unfortunately killed my dream. Cooking, is after all, what I am most passionate about. Regrettably there is no "Undo" button on the damage done.

I sailed with Ken Mills as CD...he is pretty anti-foreigner IMO. On my sailing a few years ago there was a call for blood donations. The next day, Ken made a big deal that it was only Americans that stepped up. Pretty insensitive as other countries have a different process for blood donations and may have been hesitant. He could have just said a nice thank you to those who stepped up instead of singling out the non-US passengers.

I sailed with Ken Mills as CD...he is pretty anti-foreigner IMO. On my sailing a few years ago there was a call for blood donations. The next day, Ken made a big deal that it was only Americans that stepped up. Pretty insensitive as other countries have a different process for blood donations and may have been hesitant. He could have just said a nice thank you to those who stepped up instead of singling out the non-US passengers.

Having sailed 3x with Ken Mills as the CD (whom I was not at the time overly fond of off-stage, but having sailed now with other CD's, I consider him one of the best) I am quite certain his words are being taken out of context. I also feel confident in saying that his jokes are not always in the very best taste, but he is by no means a person who is likely to discriminate.

I'm voting this. Aside from the content, some of the writing and expressions sounds far more US-ian than would be typical of a Swede, and as mentioned earlier even the show itself is US rather than Swedish; just doesn't add up.

No! I am not an American.......and my spellings of the words "colour" and "programme" should have been a giveaway. I'm am not a Swede either.......but married to a Swedish man. I am a female......but everyone on this forum has assumed that I am a male for reasons they know best.

Everyone disagreeing with the OP is wrong and insensitive. I have had to endure similar treatment on Celebrity Cruises before. Time and time again, I find myself purchasing cards for the Jackpot Bingo, however the person calling the Bingo game has not once called the 5 numbers I needed to win the jackpot (4, if you count the free space). OP, at least you got to stand up when your competition started. I have never had the opportunity to stand up at Bingo. Trust me, I am a serious amateur when it comes to Bingo, and I watch all of the Bingo shows from my remote part of New York. I completely understa......Ok, that's enough.

Seriously? This post is either comedic genius, or the work of a severely entitled person. OP, if you are actually being serious here, you need to get over yourself. If your idea of showing your culinary prowess is by competing in a cooking competition that most people will forget after it's over, then you should re-evaluate your priorities. I happen to like playing bocce, but I'm not going to write off cruising if I don't get to participate in the Officers vs Guests competition. Also, I love how you suggest the top quality TV programming on Bravo, as it isn't "slapstick-horseplay".....have you ever watched anything else on Bravo besides Top Chef? That entire network is trash. Anyway, if you want to cook that bad, then book a cruise on a ship with a Lawn Club Grill. Guess what, they'll let you cook your entire table's meal at that place, and the Silhouette sails from Amsterdam part of the year. That's a lot closer to you than Seattle.

P.S. I love that, if you decide to stay on CruiseCritic, your user name will forever be ridiculous.

Ugh, I have a bad feeling that I just played into the hands of this troll...

Trolls originated in Scandinavia.......but I am not Scandinavian!

I will deal with the "ridiculous" name.........it was the best reflection of how I felt. What is your call sign/user name: "Sour Sarcasm"?!!!!!

What was your purpose in posting your comments here?:confused:

Hi Husky,

Not sure if I replied to your query or I missed it yesterday......

The main reason for posting details of this disappointment was so that future Cruisers will get some insight into what might have been.....or what they should do if they are passionate about somethings.

I couldnt find any back-stories on the Top Chef @ Sea before I set sail......and a thread like this would have forewarned me.....

Having sailed 3x with Ken Mills as the CD (whom I was not at the time overly fond of off-stage, but having sailed now with other CD's, I consider him one of the best) I am quite certain his words are being taken out of context. I also feel confident in saying that his jokes are not always in the very best taste, but he is by no means a person who is likely to discriminate.

Hello again Fishlover,

Ken wasn't discriminating against race/nationality as much as he was picking only members of large groups/families. Most of the non-Americans were only couples (like us) or small families.

If that was in the brief of the event I would have invited all the new friends I made onboard to come and cheer me on. Another reason why I'm posting this is for future Cruisers to have material to research. Celebrity should be a lot more transparent about their selection processes....or a lot more fair.......by raffle draw!!!!

I dedicated a whole evening of my time to answering all the responses.......from the very noteworthy suggestions to the viciously vile (you know who you are!!!!!)

The posts will help any future Cruiser with their research. I did not find anything much, other than empty promises, when I set out to look-into the Top Chef at Sea Competition.

I will try and log on here occasionally to see if I can offer genuine responses and clarification.......

To those of you who have spewed venom my way........my response if "sticks and stones may break my bones........but at the end of the day I can write you off the table and onto the floor.....where you belong!"

I am a real person.....(not some automated call-centre responder).......and the varied responses have intrigued me. Does give one a lot of insight into the human mind.......and how some people can point fingers at you for being "disappointed".......but are so reprehensibly malicious themselves...... it's sad!!!! Are they venting their spleens here in an attempt to let off steam? My heart goes out to them as pressure cookers burst sometimes. Point to ponder eh???

Over and out!!!!!

OP

(Outstanding personality!!! LOL)

No! I am not an American.......and my spellings of the words "colour" and "programme" should have been a giveaway. I'm am not a Swede either.......but married to a Swedish man. I am a female......but everyone on this forum has assumed that I am a male for reasons they know best.

Not everyone see Post 116

This Aussie picked it it one.

But that aside, I am on the Solstice in less than two weeks and apart from now worrying I won't be picked out of the crowd of Poms and Yanks aboard to participate in events, we have sought the advice of others on our wardrobe to take to make us look like a person from the USA or England.

Do you think that will help?

Dear OP:

The Top Chef cooking event is for entertainment of the masses, at least those who show up. The last thing they need is to select very skilled contestants. The fun for the audience is seeing things go wrong. The person who can't peel the potato or separate the egg yokes is real entertainment to many. Besides, the contestants really don't add in a significant way to the dish as the Chef does most of the work. The contestant is at most a Sous Chef peeling, slicing and dicing. Most certainly not something that a fine Chef would want on his resume. Celebrity does have some special Top Chef cruises with stars of the show and you might want to take one of those where you can learn and share.

100% right, no one would have watched it (op Chef) had it been simply a cooking skills competition, I would thing far more important is if the people selected would be entertaining to the audience.