Are drink packages worth it?

Sun Lover

Remember it's not just alcohol though - would you drink juice or coffee or soda? Bottled water? My figures above included at least 1 coffee daily, 3 sodas and 3 bottles of water (maybe more if I take some on an excursion).

Edit: sorry I see you did mention bottled water already in another post - but so much more is available than just bottled water :)

It is tempting. I don't drink much coffee, soda or juice at home so it wouldn't be a big draw for me unless the price was less, but I do think it's a good deal for most people. For me I need it to be just a little cheaper, and then I would enjoy drinking those things without feeling like I am forcing myself to do it just to get my money's worth. Having the package would be fun and I would drink juices and sodas just because I could and am on vacation, as long as it's just a little cheaper than it is now. I'll keep my eye on the package, maybe they'll put mine on sale for 30% off. The other deterrent for me on my next cruise is that we only have 2 sea days and we'll be going to southern ports where I'll be off the ship almost all day, so that's why I don't want my "break even" point to be as high. Maybe I'll just buy the refreshment package because that's 30% off and it's reasonable; I bought that one for my daughter already.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I agree with the idea of there being some value in being able to just grab drinks and not worry about cost. At a certain price I would start to find value in that too, even if I didn't break even on the actual price.

At the current $46 (20% off) price, I personally still can't justify the value because I would never drink that many drinks in a week, but if my deluxe price went down to $38 (30% off) I would consider it, because at that point my break even is 3 drinks a day, and even if I only drank 2, I could justify sacrificing that third drink and trade it for the value of being able to just buy what I wanted without keeping count. Even then I might not buy it, but that is the price where I could start to see the value in the package. Anything more for me would just be completely throwing money away. I realize I can get bottled water and count that towards my drink count, but because I can drink water for free on board, and bring on my own bottled water for about $6 a case, I wouldn't find value in that.

This is exactly the math I did and why I picked up a deluxe package for my husband and a non-alcoholic package for myself when the price dropped to $38 and $18. I am still sure I won't "break even." At $2/can I am not even sure I could drink $8.50 of soda a day. But I want access to the Freestyle machines so I figured I'd get the soda package anyway. That makes the incremental cost of the non-alcohol package $10/day. That seemed like a fair price for feeling like I can have anything I want.

One issue regarding the beverage packages that comes to mind. Yes, one needs to determine how much they would order with no drinks package.

We drink the ship's tapwater and only a cup of coffee with breakfast.

My physician advises me that moderate use of red wine or brandy is actually good for my circulation. However, at some point a person should consider their health.

Even drinking diet sodas can lead to acid reflux. I had a friend that drank 6-7 diet cokes a day and had to stop due to acid reflux.

Oh look, another drink package thread. LOL...anyway it looks like all the major points have been hit, but what the hell....we enjoy it because:

-unlimited drinks

-fresh juice and coffee (wife loves the coffee)

-not worrying about the bill

-makes it easier to try new drinks without the risk of not liking it

-on labadee and that other island the drink package is good

-as far as drinking enough to "break even" we have no problem easily hitting 5-6 when spread throughout the whole day , but for me it/s easily double that and that's still without getting drunk.

so maybe it's for you, maybe it's not. Number 1 rule, just have fun.

I was looking at purchasing the deluxe drink package at 20% off, which is $46/person. Can someone who has been on Allure recently give me an idea of what a typical alcoholic drink costs? For example, a frozen type drink, a beer, etc? I'm just trying to figure out if we would drink enough each day to make it worthwhile, especially considering we'll be in ports 3 days and won't be on the ship for several hours those days. Thanks.

I'd definitely recommend a drink package with that price. Considering just a soda package is $9-$11 (I forget the particulars), that means it's all the alcohol and bottled water you want for about $36. Since, in April on the Allure OTS mixed drinks were all $12 each, and bottled water was several dollars (can't recall), you're looking at 3 drinks a day to break even.

With the drink package they also let you "call" liquor, so you could specify Blackwell's rum, for example. They let me have Grey Goose with my package, I don't know if that was a nice bartender or typical.

How easy is it to fully take advantage of the Refreshment Package?

That is, I see they offer fresh squeezed orange juice. In the Windjammer, does this become a hassle to order? Is this available all day or just at breakfast?

Can non-alcoholic cocktails be ordered from every bar on the ship? Does that include frozen drinks?

What exactly are premium teas? Is tea not available for free at dinner? If it is available, do you specify you want to browse the premium offerings?

Is bottled water available everywhere? Can you grab a couple to take off ship?

Is there a drinks police? I understand sharing is not allowed, but is taking a sip to try a partners beverage met with any action?

I agree with the idea of there being some value in being able to just grab drinks and not worry about cost. At a certain price I would start to find value in that too, even if I didn't break even on the actual price.

At the current $46 (20% off) price, I personally still can't justify the value because I would never drink that many drinks in a week, but if my deluxe price went down to $38 (30% off) I would consider it, because at that point my break even is 3 drinks a day, and even if I only drank 2, I could justify sacrificing that third drink and trade it for the value of being able to just buy what I wanted without keeping count. Even then I might not buy it, but that is the price where I could start to see the value in the package. Anything more for me would just be completely throwing money away. I realize I can get bottled water and count that towards my drink count, but because I can drink water for free on board, and bring on my own bottled water for about $6 a case, I wouldn't find value in that.

Agreed. I can't justify spending the $48 per day that mine shows at 20% off. I rarely drink at home, and can't imagine I will have more than two drinks per day on board. I currently hope to get the drink card, which DH and I will use, in addition to our gold discount on BOGO beer or wine, our two bottles of wine in our stateroom and our refreshment packages.

How easy is it to fully take advantage of the Refreshment Package?

That is, I see they offer fresh squeezed orange juice. In the Windjammer, does this become a hassle to order? Is this available all day or just at breakfast? Easy to order, there is a large stand in a prominent location in Windjammer. From what I have seen only available in the morning.

Can non-alcoholic cocktails be ordered from every bar on the ship? Does that include frozen drinks? yes and yes. Virgin frozen mojo to is especially good!

What exactly are premium teas? Is tea not available for free at dinner? If it is available, do you specify you want to browse the premium offerings? Regular hot tea is available, but the premium is Tazo branded teas

Is bottled water available everywhere? Can you grab a couple to take off ship? Yes, you can grab bottled water at all bars. I tend to collect a few throughout the day to have in the cabin overnight and take off the ship

Is there a drinks police? I understand sharing is not allowed, but is taking a sip to try a partners beverage met with any action? A sip no, more than that yes. The staff are trained to look out for sharing.

I have had refreshment in the past and I thought it was a good package :)

I have had refreshment in the past and I thought it was a good package :)

Excellent, thank you!

A couple more questions:

Are the Johnny Rockets shakes included?

Is there better quality hot chocolate available?

And finally, the smoothies at Solarium are included as well, correct?

Excellent, thank you!

A couple more questions:

Johnny Rockets shakes are not included. I'm not sure about the other 2.

Thank you all for your input on this thread. I know there are more out there but this is the one I'm reading now.

I am not a drinker and have been agonizing over whether to get this for my hubby for our upcoming cruise. I don't want him to have an excuse to drink more (money's worth) but I also don't want to be agonizing over how much he is spending on alcohol. Our last cruise, every time he came back with a drink I was tallying up our final bill in my head.

After reading through everyone's thoughts, I bought the drink package for him this morning. It was $355 for our 7-day Oasis cruise. Now he can have whatever he wants and I don't have to add it up in my head.

He and I can both enjoy our cruise a little more that way.

Oh look, another drink package thread. LOL...anyway it looks like all the major points have been hit, but what the hell....we enjoy it because:

-unlimited drinks

-fresh juice and coffee (wife loves the coffee)

-not worrying about the bill

-makes it easier to try new drinks without the risk of not liking it

-on labadee and that other island the drink package is good

-as far as drinking enough to "break even" we have no problem easily hitting 5-6 when spread throughout the whole day , but for me it/s easily double that and that's still without getting drunk.

so maybe it's for you, maybe it's not. Number 1 rule, just have fun.

This is 90% of why I do it. I'd rather just fork up the $350 up front. And drink at will.

Excellent, thank you!

A couple more questions:

I had the Royal Replenish package back in June. JR shakes not included, no better quality hot chocolate, but yes the smoothies at Solarium/Vitality Cafe were included. Those I had the most!

If this was clarified earlier on this thread I apologize: my question is- is Starbucks still included in the Ultimate drink package? I heard a rumor it was taken off by RC.

Currently on Allure and the deluxe is $58 plus 18% and it's real clear Starbucks is NOT included. My Bloody Mary would have been $14 this morning. So glad I bought at the 20% off sale for $44.

Currently on Allure and the deluxe is $58 plus 18% and it's real clear Starbucks is NOT included. My Bloody Mary would have been $14 this morning. So glad I bought at the 20% off sale for $44.

Just off the FOS and Starbucks at Cafe Promanade was included in deluxe drink package. We paid $41 each plus 18% gratuity although we don't include gratuity in price as it's a fixed cost.

We also minus the soda/bottle water cost from overall price so it shrinks the cost. Speciality drinks range from 10-12 so that's only a few drinks per day. As many say it allows people to try different drinks without being committed if you don't like it. I worried about drink fatigue as well which was felt on day 6, but being able to change it up with various drinks made the fatigue go away...ha ha.

As many say it allows people to try different drinks without being committed if you don't like it.

I've seen a lot of people mention this. I'd like to know what ship forces you to finish a drink if you buy it a la carte. :confused:

Someone will come by and say "I won't feel like I'm wasting money if I throw away a drink". But if you don't buy enough drinks to match what you paid for the package, you're "wasting money".

Once again, whether a drink package is "worth it" depends on how much YOU drink. Yes, you need to included bottled water, orange juice, coffee, whatever in the calculation, but it still comes down to how much you drink.

PP said they'd have three drinks before lunch. Good for them. That doesn't mean you would have three drinks in a day.

If this was clarified earlier on this thread I apologize: my question is- is Starbucks still included in the Ultimate drink package? I heard a rumor it was taken off by RC.

Oasis class ships have a seperate Starbucks kiosk - it is not included.

Starbucks style coffee drinks at any other cafe or the dining room ARE included. Depending on what ship you're on this can be cafe promenade, Lattetudes and/or park cafe. The coffee may be in Starbucks cups, and even made with Starbucks beans! It just can't be from the seperate Starbucks kiosk.

I've seen a lot of people mention this. I'd like to know what ship forces you to finish a drink if you buy it a la carte. :confused:

Someone will come by and say "I won't feel like I'm wasting money if I throw away a drink". But if you don't buy enough drinks to match what you paid for the package, you're "wasting money".

Once again, whether a drink package is "worth it" depends on how much YOU drink. Yes, you need to included bottled water, orange juice, coffee, whatever in the calculation, but it still comes down to how much you drink.

PP said they'd have three drinks before lunch. Good for them. That doesn't mean you would have three drinks in a day.

We always buy the package- we aren't big drinkers- but we are on vacation and I like the feeling of an all inclusive type rate. I have seen people carry on cartons of water and try to smuggle in alcohol. I do not understand that- you are on a "luxury" vacation and if you save a few dollars is it worth dragging water with you or being caught with alcohol? Not for my back or my DH's. To each his/her own.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Someone will come by and say "I won't feel like I'm wasting money if I throw away a drink". But if you don't buy enough drinks to match what you paid for the package, you're "wasting money.

No ship or any person forces you to finish a drink. The package allows more freedom to chose and try different drinks. I got a speciality drink that I didn't like at all, took 2 sips and couldn't drink it. I just got something else without feeling as if I had to suffer through it at $12.

Yes, you pay both ways but the package gives you options. We never bought drinks just to break even everyday so we could say package is worth it.

It's "worth" is up to each person. For us, the price we received made it worth it.

We always buy the package- we aren't big drinkers- but we are on vacation and I like the feeling of an all inclusive type rate. I have seen people carry on cartons of water and try to smuggle in alcohol. I do not understand that- you are on a "luxury" vacation and if you save a few dollars is it worth dragging water with you or being caught with alcohol? Not for my back or my DH's. To each his/her own.

I think the same way you do. I would rather pay for it ahead of time knowing I won't have to pay anything on board. So, I save ahead so I won't have that bill once I'm on board. I love only having a $200-$300 bill at the end instead of $1000. It adds up! I'm not sure if I get my moneys worth, but it's close and it's "inclusive" so I don't need to worry about the costs onboard.

I read a lot of post on people justifying buying a drink package by comparing it to "x" number of $12 drinks to break even. It wasn't that long ago when drink on Royal ships were around $8 and the break even point for the number of drinks was much higher. I'm sure Royal's plan to raise base drink prices and push selling more drink packages has been very successful & profitable for them. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. The way I see it, the more profit they make on selling drink packages the lower they can keep the the base price of cruising.