New Sign & Sail card delivery system??

John F

Why is everything a pain for an employee to do the job they are told to do? How is it a pain?

Why can't a person go put money on their account? You go to desk, and say hey, I want to put money on my account, and they look it up and do so.

Getting a drink. Your boarding pass has the same info as the card. Just present the boarding pass to get you first drink.

You don't need the card for any of these items.

How many times on a ship, do you see an employee "write down" you folio number when you buy something. Did you need the card? Not really.

:D

It's passing the buck is what it is. They don't do it at check-in now so someone else has to do it...and at the expense of change, training, uproar from customers, etc.

Personally I don't like the change. I like my picture getting taken in my ugly Hawaii'n shirt, handing each of the kids their cards, getting "dinged" onto the ship and grabbing a drink right away!

We just got off a RCL cruise that did this and it was NO ISSUE at all....

for those worried about buying a drink....on RCL they just looked up your information when you showed them your boarding pass. I am guessing CCL would do the same....I can't imagine them wanting to miss a single drink purchase! LOL

So if you bought the drink package it showed as such to your server.

Cards were available outside the cabins at 1:30....again if they were missing or tampered with (sealed envelope) then you would report it.

Wasn't an issue AT ALL!!!

What happens if someone takes your card and charges 10 drinks on your card?

If the picture doesn't match I am guessing the server would notice then....I would suspect you would have some issues! Like getting tossed off the ship before it even left cause you stole someone's card......

For those not using passports, I assume they are still getting pics taken at port right? Now I'm thinking I should of put BC instead of passport on my info. About time for passport renewal and I hate my passport pic, everyone else going with me will be using BC instead.

Why is everything a pain for an employee to do the job they are told to do? How is it a pain?

Why can't a person go put money on their account? You go to desk, and say hey, I want to put money on my account, and they look it up and do so.

Getting a drink. Your boarding pass has the same info as the card. Just present the boarding pass to get you first drink.

You don't need the card for any of these items.

How many times on a ship, do you see an employee "write down" you folio number when you buy something. Did you need the card? Not really.

:D

Did I say you needed the card to do all the things you mentioned? I didn't mention any of them and that wasn't my point.

It really makes no sense to have them wasting time doing that when they could be getting rooms ready. It's not like it's hard for the person checking you in to turn around, grab your card and off you go.

I imagine this is to speed up boarding. As it is now everyone has to stop, get their photo taken, then cards have to have photos printed onto them which holds the process. With this type of boarding everyone can just walk right on, it makes sense to streamline the boarding process as much as possible.

Also I'm sure someone other than the attendants are verifying the identification on the cards and getting the cards into the envelopes. All the attendants have to do is drop the card into the mailbox along with the funtimes. How is that a hardship on them? They are already dropping a funtime off in the box, so now they drop off the card that goes to your room, that takes what all of 2 seconds to do?

Edited by poobears

While I have no idea on the card trial, when we boarded the Vista, they had pictures already loaded and did not have to take one "unless" the system buzzed when they read your card. Mine was not my passport photo but a photo from a previous cruise. The used iPad's for scanning of cards for entry and exit also.

I imagine this is to speed up boarding. As it is now everyone has to stop, get their photo taken, then cards have to have photos printed onto them which holds the process. With this type of boarding everyone can just walk right on, it makes sense to streamline the boarding process as much as possible.

Also I'm sure someone other than the attendants are verifying the identification on the cards and getting the cards into the envelopes. All the attendants have to do is drop the card into the mailbox along with the funtimes. How is that a hardship on them? They are already dropping a funtime off in the box, so now they drop off the card that goes to your room, that takes what all of 2 seconds to do?

I guess I should of worded my original post better.

By pain I'm not saying it's a pain for the worker to actually put them in the box. More that it's a waste of resources when more ports are doing staggered check-ins and all. Are people getting on earlier with this process? Maybe I've been an exception but I never found the check-in process to take very long at all.

What would you do if you don't have a computer???? Also what would happen if you were using a Birth Certificate in stead of a Pass Port??? That systems sounds like it is full of kinks that need to be worked out. Sounds real dumb to me.

What would you do if you don't have a computer???? Also what would happen if you were using a Birth Certificate in stead of a Pass Port??? That systems sounds like it is full of kinks that need to be worked out. Sounds real dumb to me.

I don't get either of your comments. What does you having computer have to do with anything? If they don't have a photo (in the system) then they take a pic.

I don't get either of your comments. What does you having computer have to do with anything? If they don't have a photo (in the system) then they take a pic.

Back thread home computer use with another line was mentioned:

" On the anthem we downloaded a current picture of ourselves when we did our online check in at home and they used that for your security photo on the ship. The paperwork had a bar code on it so you could use it to buy drinks before you got your actual card."

The photos aren't printed on to the card. The cards are already done in an envelope the day before you arrive. Your picture is linked to your Folio which is the 4 digit number on your card via computer.

Back thread home computer use with another line was mentioned:

" On the anthem we downloaded a current picture of ourselves when we did our online check in at home and they used that for your security photo on the ship. The paperwork had a bar code on it so you could use it to buy drinks before you got your actual card."

Thanks.... must have gotten lost right after Carnival took over Anthem of the seas....:confused:

I won't say it's a bad idea but I think having to use our boarding pass to purchase beverages is not a good idea. I don't want to have to keep pulling a piece of paper out of my bag just seems dumb to me. If my card is around my neck I just have to flash it at the waiter and not root around my backpack to find my paper and not one of the kids (the don't get to charge).

Inconvenient is the word for those of us who won't be able to get to our rooms right away.

I won't say it's a bad idea but I think having to use our boarding pass to purchase beverages is not a good idea. I don't want to have to keep pulling a piece of paper out of my bag just seems dumb to me. If my card is around my neck I just have to flash it at the waiter and not root around my backpack to find my paper and not one of the kids (the don't get to charge).

Inconvenient is the word for those of us who won't be able to get to our rooms right away.

You make a good point, some people like to get their cards punched first thing to wear around their neck for the times the card is not pre-punched. They'll have to wait and do that later in the cruise now.

Edited by sanmarcosman

The photos aren't printed on to the card. The cards are already done in an envelope the day before you arrive. Your picture is linked to your Folio which is the 4 digit number on your card via computer.

You are right, been too long since I looked at my S&S cards. I do remember standing in line waiting on a pic though. This will eliminate that wait. Not that it was a long wait, maybe 5-10 minutes. I just hate the picture taking part so anything to bypass that will be a bonus :D

You make a good point, some people like to get their cards punched first thing to wear around their neck. They'll have to wait and do that later in the cruise now.

I think I read that the cards will all be punched going forward. It was on JH's page but I don't know if it is fleetwide yet. At least it would eliminate having to find someone to do that for you.

Anthem of the Seas has been using this system since it started sailing and no problems reported. We sailed twice and have not had a problem. Just fold your boarding pass and place in pocket. For those that need it around your neck, you're on your own.

Not much different from traditional boarding, as we just sailed on the Pride.

I don't like it.

What is to stop someone who innocently went to the wrong room, going in? That's the least of it. Not to mention those who do it on purpose. Or people who think its funny to snag the card from someone's room.

I don't want someone having access to my sail and sign card. I've linked my credit card to that.

Just wondered if anyone has news of this new system. Someone just off the Splendor said that they did not get their sign & sail cards at check in and had to retrieve them from the mail box slot beside stateroom door. Had to show their passport and boarding pass along the way just get on the ship. Sounds very funny to me. I bet Carnival did not have the cards ready in time to give them to you at check. Any thoughts?? John F

It's a test only on the Splendor.

If I understand this process correctly, it makes absolutely no sense and creates a large amount of unnecessary risk to Carnival. It's like issuing someone an unlimited credit card and then just dropping it off in an unsecured area for pickup. It's your room key and your credit card for the entire voyage. What happens if someone takes mine out of the box and proceeds to go on a drink and shopping spree?

In any case Carnival has not updated it's webpage. I sail on Saturday on the Freedom and when I looked at the FAQs, it still says that you receive your S&S at check-in.

You are right, been too long since I looked at my S&S cards. I do remember standing in line waiting on a pic though. This will eliminate that wait. Not that it was a long wait, maybe 5-10 minutes. I just hate the picture taking part so anything to bypass that will be a bonus :D

They will use your Passport photo unless it doesn't look like you anymore (hair color, etc), there is a glitch in the system, or you request a pic. All that can be done at the initial security check in as they let you in the building where they scan your Passport/Check your documents.

I see it as a way to eliminate another line as well as agents. It could also be used to keep people out of the hallways if they don't put the cabin keys in the mailbox until all the cabins are ready with the exception of D/P/FTTF who's cards will be waiting for them.

Not sure how I feel about it until I would have the chance to experience it myself.