Cove Balcony- Should I be nervous?

mcgore83

I am booked in a cove balcony for my next cruise on the Vista (so excited!). I have sailed in regular balcony cabins, but never a cove. Can someone tell me what to expect. Anyone have pictures? Thank you in advance for your help. I know I will get great advice here.

There are tons of photos in reviews people have posted. I think if you just search the different dream class ships and cove you'll be able to find them.

From what I have seen, they seem like biggish balconies, with the cut out of the ship offering decent views. It sort of reminds of the grand suite balcony on the Fantasy Class ships where the open area is just a cut out of the steel, and then it's pretty private.

The reason I haven't, and won't, book a cove balcony is because in a storm or rough weather they will close it up tight. I totally understand why, but I live on the balcony, and would hate to lose access to it.

I am booked in a cove balcony for my next cruise on the Vista (so excited!). I have sailed in regular balcony cabins, but never a cove. Can someone tell me what to expect. Anyone have pictures? Thank you in advance for your help. I know I will get great advice here.

This is on the Dream in a cove balcony (not me)

I almost booked one but read too many reviews about the balcony decks staying wet or salty from all the water coming up on them. I like to go out barefoot and don't want my deck all gritty or wet when I do. I also think it would be too shaded for me.

I just kind of went through what was most important to me in a balcony and compared it to what I would get in a cove and decided a cove wasn't worth it right now. Although the view from a cove is amazing. I'm trying a Lido balcony for the first time this cruise. Have never had one on the Lido deck so we'll see what it's like being right up where the action is. Although I switched from one just inside the doors to a junior suite way up at the front of the ship so it will be a bit different. Now I have to walk down the long corridor to get to the Lido. I haven't been that forward on a balcony before either so that will be new.

In April we will be on the Lido closer to the deck doors and be able to compare which we like better. You never know until you try. I'm sure I will try a cove some day, who knows I may wind up loving it.

We have a cove on the Vista. The thing we like most during our cruises is looking down at the water and just seeing the ocean. The upper balconies look down to a deck, and you can't see straight down to the water. I like hearing the ocean so I know that being that low will allow us to hear it plenty loud.

Ours is further back (in the Family Harbor area) so I don't think spray will be as much of an issue as forward coves.

They are a bit more "enclosed" because of the steel but they are more private and more shaded which is fine with many sunny days at sea.

Biggest downsides to most Cove balconies is their location under the galley (about 2/3 of them) meaning potential noise. Lucky for me, early reviews of my particular cabin appear to not be too bad with regards to noise...so crapshoot it seems.

We loved our Cove on the Dream last month! Even so, it did have some drawbacks that may be an issue for some people.

The balcony area did tend to have a lot of salt spray. Just wipe off the chairs a bit and you are fine. However, there was the occasional wetness on the balcony floor, so if you go out barefoot you are fine. If you go out in socks like my DH, then you will have squishy feet when you go back inside! :p

We had cabin 2330 and it was quiet as can be. No noise from above, and it was great to be able to step out and not only see the ocean but to hear the waves as the ship was sailing.

The balcony was a bit smaller IMO than regular balconies, but not much. The view made up for it however. We had two chairs and a small square table on our balcony.

I would definitely book another Cove balcony in the future!

Nah. Nothing to be nervous about, unless you see this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf3evLKtVSsKgpmBb7lNLIavX30CslsbjsOKCkTW9jtmeWFgax

Edited by beachbum53

If you don't mind the evaporated salt from the ocean spray, you are not prone to motion sickness, and you have smooth seas, cove balconies can be a fine choice.

I thought the golden rule for motion sickness was middle and low. Doesn't that make a cove balcony perfect?

I thought the golden rule for motion sickness was middle and low. Doesn't that make a cove balcony perfect?

While your logic is sound, if there were rollers and you were close to them (height wise) it might be an impediment. Of course you can always pull the drapes.

The only time I have read here of closing of the coves is when the Dream was new and in New York and they had a sailing into a tropical storm. Probably have been other times but that is the only one I have read about.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

We've had coves on the Dream 2x & the Breeze 1x. We always book those when available. We really enjoy being close to the water & liked the fact that they are built into the hull of the ship-metal instead of plexiglass. The down side is the sea spray & wet floor, but I just pack a pair of flip flops to wear while out there.

The coves are definitely a fan favorite. I'm in the small minority that doesn't care for them. They're on deck 2 which is so far away from the action. They also don't get any sunlight. The awesome thing about them though is coming back from port- just a couple flights of stairs and you're back home while mostly everyone else is waiting for the elevator. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums