Opinions on Wow, Icelandair or Norwegian

cocacola86

WOW and Norwegian are both low-cost carriers who have stormed into the transatlantic market with low fares to capture market share. The operate outside of traditional alliances and interchange agreements, so you are pretty much on your own if they have a problem - not a lot of excess equipment in the system to cover major problems. Also, the North American markets are generally served no more than once a day, so any delay may be problematic.

They also charge for luggage, meals and other items. See their websites for details.

Personally, I would never fly them on a "need to be there on a specific day" basis. Flying in several days before a cruise, I'd be more receptive.

As for comfort, check websites to see what seat pitch is offered and how that fits your own definition.

Any thoughts on Iceland air or would it be better to fly to like UK and take the eurotrain

How do you define better?

Personally I don't see a reason to go into a mixed mode transport nightmare (you might want to research that "Eurotrain" a little more) when you can fly non-stop or with about a bazillion straightforward one stop connection options.

Any thoughts on Iceland air or would it be better to fly to like UK and take the eurotrain

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Personally, I'm a big fan of flying to where you can get the best flight and taking the train to your final destination - but you MUST allow yourself plenty of time if doing this.

The main problem with flying into - and especially out of - UK airports is the high taxes charged. If your final destination is Amsterdam and you're looking at alternatives to AMS, I'd be looking at flying into BRU, FRA or CDG - all have direct train connections to Amsterdam. If you're really adventuresome, you can go further afield - this summer, we flew into Barcelona and spent a couple of days before heading by train to London (via Paris).

What dates are you looking at?

We flew Norwegian out of LAX to AMS august 2015 with no problems. I would say definitely they are better then the US main carriers. We drove all over Western Europe and over to England. If you have questions, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My parents would be coming and there in 60s

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey, be careful there! I'm in my 60s and I have no problems traveling multiple airlines, trains, busses, taxis, foot, to get where I want to go ;)

I've been known to look at esoteric routings to get from home to where I want to end. Multiple airline connections to different airports and then land-based transportation. I've ben known to take a connection at an airport merely because I have never been through that airport. I've taken the train from Paris to Munich, Rome to Florence, Milan to Venice, CDG to London, Brussels to Maastricht...

It's not the age, but the ability!!!

I haven't had the opportunity to fly on those 3 airlines yet. I have 3 friends who flew Icelandair last year - outside of the lightning strike on the descent back into DEN, they said their flights were just fine.

We flew Norwegian out of LAX to AMS august 2015 with no problems. I would say definitely they are better then the US main carriers.

Better how? A statement like that is pretty much useless unless you qualify it. Was it cheaper? Was the service better and if so how? The food? the purchase process? the frequent flyer program? It also helps as a point of comparison if you indicate which US carriers you have flown on transatlantic flights recently and thus gotten an apples to apples comparison.

We just found our relatives in the Ukraine so want to visit them

Well goodness, now your're really mixing things up. Ukraine isn't exactly right beside The Netherlands. Flying into London and taking the "eurotrain" to AMS is one thing (not the best option as previously explained) but now to add Ukraine into the mix?

OP: May I suggest 2 things. 1. When you reply to someone please quote the post you're replying to. It makes it easier to follow than just posting a random phrase that appears several posts later. 2. Give ALL of your details in one post. When are you going? How may days pre-cruise can you do? What about post cruise? Does the cruise also end in AMS? How much experience do you have with international travel? Are there other places besides Ukraine that you want to see? That came out of left field, but you did mention something about other cities so fully understanding your travel plans or desires would help people give you good information.

Just thinking of different options, other airline I was looking at for cost was airtransat and they came in at 1900 with extra features into AMS, the cruise leaves out of AMs and ends there, but we would spend about a week before the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app