Crab in PG

dee2673

The three main kinds, in price order are: Sevruga, Osetra, and Beluga. The pearls of Beluga are a little smaller and the taste is a little more delicate. When we buy caviar, it's usually Osetra because it's what we prefer. In my opinion, the caviar in the Pinnacle is a great value. I can guarantee you that a portion of our OBC going towards caviar on our cruise in December.

Thanks, POA1. I intend to try it in approximately two weeks.

Thanks for the reply. I usually order the bisque but that crab cake has caught my eye. Sometimes I just want to order appetizers and no entrée when we go out to eat.

You are most welcome :)

I am the same way - have ordered appetizers and skipped the main course :)

the crab cakes are good. One time (a few years ago) I said I preferred the appetizers and the waiter asked which I would like served for my main course to match my table mates. I chose the crab cakes and they gave me a lovely huge serving and had me order a couple of sides. Perfect.

I like small tastes and cannot finish even the small filet:eek:

Not sure if it can be done still or not, but I am might be very tempted next year. We have several pinnacles booked.

I think it is still $45? Appears to be on the menu linked and the others I have seen. I do like the stuff so I care :)

Like POA1, I think it is good value IF you are a caviar lover :)

As I said, we were in the PG just last night and the menu indicated it was $70. I only noticed it because I thought the price was less.

As I said, we were in the PG just last night and the menu indicated it was $70. I only noticed it because I thought the price was less.

Sorry I misread your post. I thought you were referring to the menus that were posted. I forgot you were on board (and have been enjoying your LIVE from) It's gone up that much? YIKES :eek:

And yes, the price was always less. Wow, at $70 I don't know if we will do it next year.

We ate crab in the PG this past May on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was just ok and definitely not worth the cost if there is an upgrade charge. The crab cakes are very good and meaty. The steak is excellent so that is usually what we get. We just go for the ambience and service.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com.../PG-Dinner.pdf

YUM.... I shall have NO TROUBLE, :D finding wonderful things to EAT :D

Am I correct you can order 2 starters if you choose?

I normally get lobster bisque and the shrimp cocktail.

Sounds like it will be crustacean fest for me in March!

Edited by TiogaCruiser

We ate crab in the PG this past May on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was just ok and definitely not worth the cost if there is an upgrade charge. The crab cakes are very good and meaty. The steak is excellent so that is usually what we get. We just go for the ambience and service.

We had crab last night in the PG. Definitely no extra charge. It was good but not great. I did previously pay extra for crab in the PG, when they first had it on the menu; then I did think it was worth the extra charge. I don't now. Last night's crab was what they used to serve in the MDR on a formal night (like ten years ago) - with the bowl of broth and boiled potatoes.

We had crab last night in the PG. Definitely no extra charge. It was good but not great. I did previously pay extra for crab in the PG, when they first had it on the menu; then I did think it was worth the extra charge. I don't now. Last night's crab was what they used to serve in the MDR on a formal night (like ten years ago) - with the bowl of broth and boiled potatoes.

I can't speak personally on the crab legs, but on our last cruise we became friends with a couple. She complained about the crab legs because they added garlic to the butter and she did not like them at all. I wouldn't either. Lemon and butter only, please. We aren't that enamored with PG and only did Canaletto last couple of cruises as we enjoy that more than PG. May try PG again on next cruise this Dec. as need to spend some OBC.

Jane

I can't speak personally on the crab legs, but on our last cruise we became friends with a couple. She complained about the crab legs because they added garlic to the butter and she did not like them at all. I wouldn't either. Lemon and butter only, please. We aren't that enamored with PG and only did Canaletto last couple of cruises as we enjoy that more than PG. May try PG again on next cruise this Dec. as need to spend some OBC.

Jane

There was no garlic in the butter that we were served. DM would NOT have liked that (I would have). It was served with a wedge of lemon (DM likes that; I give mine to her!).