10/8 Sailing on Oasis / Smell of Mold And Mildew

tgloersen

Hello all,

So just returned back from our trip, i will write a review shortly but just wanted to provide some information based on our cabin experience during this cruise.

While i will be describing the problem understand that the rest of the trip was fabulous even if the service in the WJ was lacking a little

So got on the ship and to the cabin around 1:30pm and as soon as i walk through the door there was a very strong Mold and Mildew smell present.

Cabin was 12198 Balcony on the hump.

Immediately went down to CS and voiced my concerns.

So starts the clock of waiting for a nice clean smelling cabin, they wanted to call house keeping to have them check, than maintenance to check HVAC system, all said they could not find anything wrong.

Now going on 430pm after muster i went and checked still same issue, went to CS again found a manger and voiced my concern again this time a little more stern but not loud. Finally pleaded with her to go with me to the cabin and all others from maintenance so she can smell for herself. Sure enough she agreed that there was and issue, maintenance wanted to clean all the duct work, so reluctantly i went to the MDR to eat while they did this.

As i expected i came back and guess what smell still present. Went down to CS for third time and said that they needed to move us and at this point i did not care what cabin they gave me, i just cant deal with the smell.

I figured they would have some available as this was just after the storm. Since the ship was leaving late 7PM (again because of hurricane) she could not check for another cabin until 8pm, so now were going on 7 hrs with out use of a cabin.

Finally at 8:30 they assigned me another cabin 7632 a JS on the 7 deck. I have never been in any suite on a ship and i must say these are nice cabins, walk in closet, bath tub was nice gesture on RCI's part.

I write to inform my fellow cruisers that if your not happy, you should say something and keep on following up, don't act like a jerk but be stern when you have to, usually both parties can come to reasonable solution even if it meant just another balcony cabin with some sort of OBC.

Other than that it was a fabulous trip, and the ship was nice on all other fronts, but for a ship that i think is like 6 years old, maintenance seems to be lacking for sure, we smelt the same odor in many of the corridor's and bars it has to be an issue with the HVAC maybe needs some sort of descaling or something.

I do not write to talk RCI into the garbage i think the end solution was fair based on us being without a cabin for almost 8 hrs, but if there is a chance that an RCI rep reads this and fixes the issues it is worth it.

I would go on this ship again.

Nice that they handled the situation to your satisfaction, but I have to wonder how they didn't know it was an issue before. If's not like mold and mildew just suddenly appear and there is at least one crew member in that cabin every day.

Either he/she could not notice a persistent smell, he/she noticed it and didn't tell anyone or he/she reported it and nobody did anything about it. None of those options, in my opinion, speak well of the people in charge.

Nice that they handled the situation to your satisfaction, but I have to wonder how they didn't know it was an issue before. If's not like mold and mildew just suddenly appear and there is at least one crew member in that cabin every day.

Either he/she could not notice a persistent smell, he/she noticed it and didn't tell anyone or he/she reported it and nobody did anything about it. None of those options, in my opinion, speak well of the people in charge.

I spoke with the cabin attendant as he was there while i had a CS manager present, he said he did not smell anything but the CS manager noticed right away that there was a problem. Don't know what to say, other than that JS was pretty nice, just not sure if i be willing to pay double for it.

and again we noticed it in certain corridors on the ship especially when we went to Blaze for Bingo, it was very bad smelling there on deck 4. So its a shipwide problem that they really need to address.