Appropriate tip for butler in Haven

LuvTheSea14

Cruise critic does have a suggested amount. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

Appears to $3-5 pr day per person for the butler. Which is comparable to a different article I read in the past.

But again it depends on how much service the butler or concierge provides. Our May cruise was the first time for me, my wife and our two sons to experience one of Gem's two bedroom family suites.

Our room steward was wonderful. He would seemingly make up our room the minute we left. I requested two bathrobes for my sons and they were delivered later the same day. He was frequently seen in the hallway and always greeted us cheerfully. He provided extra towels, and replaced a robe that must have gotten removed with the used towels. Our room was always spotless.

Our interactions with our butler were minimal. She did not offer any explanation of what she was available to do for us. From Cruise Critic I know, for example, that we could have had meals in our suite, but she never mentioned that. She did provide a pitcher of orange juice for the refrigerator, but did not refill it when it got low. She did deliver the daily snack, but she never asked if we had any preferences.

I had made all of my dining and excursion reservations in advance of the cruise, so again, we didn't really need to use the concierge. I believe I asked her a total of three questions the entire cruise - one in person, and two by phone.

I tipped our steward an extra $100. The butler and concierge received less. I always left a small tip for our waiter at dinner - even in the main dinning room - and bartenders were usually handed a dollar for their trouble whenever I ordered a drink. So I agree that, while there are general guidelines, you should tip based on how much service you actually receive.

But again it depends on how much service the butler or concierge provides. Our May cruise was the first time for me, my wife and our two sons to experience one of Gem's two bedroom family suites.

Our room steward was wonderful. He would seemingly make up our room the minute we left. I requested two bathrobes for my sons and they were delivered later the same day. He was frequently seen in the hallway and always greeted us cheerfully. He provided extra towels, and replaced a robe that must have gotten removed with the used towels. Our room was always spotless.

Our interactions with our butler were minimal. She did not offer any explanation of what she was available to do for us. From Cruise Critic I know, for example, that we could have had meals in our suite, but she never mentioned that. She did provide a pitcher of orange juice for the refrigerator, but did not refill it when it got low. She did deliver the daily snack, but she never asked if we had any preferences.

I had made all of my dining and excursion reservations in advance of the cruise, so again, we didn't really need to use the concierge. I believe I asked her a total of three questions the entire cruise - one in person, and two by phone.

I tipped our steward an extra $100. The butler and concierge received less. I always left a small tip for our waiter at dinner - even in the main dinning room - and bartenders were usually handed a dollar for their trouble whenever I ordered a drink. So I agree that, while there are general guidelines, you should tip based on how much service you actually receive.

Great post. Totally agree!

100% agree, I wish the butlers would be clear about what they can be asked to do! Our first time in a suite, we were offered an upgrade 2 days before sailing (before bidding) on the Dawn. We had no idea we were going to get snacks, much less that we could choose, dining table in our suite - didn't like the room service menu - didn't use it. We loved the room but didn't think having a butler or Concierge was worth much.

On the Jewel, the Butler delivered dinner, I said we wanted to eat on the balcony to watch sailaway, he still cleared the table, brought out the table cloth, set up dinner service (as soon as he left we took our plates to the balcony). Concierge was amazing, checked on us every morning to see if we needed anything from him, found us at night asked how our day was, when I mentioned I was adjusting to 2+hour dinner service, he asked where we ate, next time in MDR it took one hour & we didn't feel rushed. Bowen is the standard I will expect from a small ship Concierge.

On the Bliss, both Butlers talked to us, asked us our preferences, let us know he couldn't deliver raw fish (no sushi or oysters) but anything else, just ask. One even offered packing tips at the end, the other took our shopping from hubby (Butler insisted) and delivered it to our room. We did 2 separate trips, the first butler gave more service on the 2nd trip, when he wasn't responsible for us) than the concierge from the Dawn. Adrian, concierge on the Bliss has Bowen's best qualities and he was able to organize staff, inspections and keeping 80 cabins happy! I don't know how he does it!

Do you think that Thurston Howell III tips the same amount as Mary Ann Summers?

No, he probably tips less. Many ordinary working stiffs are more conscientious about tipping because they, or someone they know well, have been on the other side of it.

No, he probably tips less. Many ordinary working stiffs are more conscientious about tipping because they, or someone they know well, have been on the other side of it.

The question was, does Thurston Howell III tip the same as Mary Ann Summers. You say no, then go on to show that in fact the correct answer is yes.

• 2 weeks later...
The question was, does Thurston Howell III tip the same as Mary Ann Summers. You say no, then go on to show that in fact the correct answer is yes.

just watched the pilot of gilligan....amazing how many original cast members didnt last