Haiti Protesters again today on Oasis (10/24)

marciemi

Currently on the Oasis and have been waiting at the gangway for an hour to disembark in Labadee. Per the announcements it's an "unplanned protest". They moved us all up away from the gangway a bit ago and we're waiting to hear more. Most people waiting here have early Shore Excursions and no word on those either.

Meanwhile we're getting flyers in our Compasses asking us all to donate to the Haiti relief due to damages from Hurricane Matthew. I realize it's not the same areas or people but seems like the protesters don't realize many of the folks on these ships (and the cruise line itself of course) are providing them with a good deal of support.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok

They are just using the passengers hoping they will take pics/vid and put it on social media since they don't have access. Just ignore them, too late, tell rci cc said to let you off the ship

Edited by setsail

They are selling hand made pepper grinders at the craft market now, be sure to stop by and get yours

Lol!!!

As for the earlier post about asking for donations from passengers while blocking them from enjoying their vacation, my guess is that if they are protesting, then whatever assistance they've been promised (or are expecting) isn't getting to them. If it was, there probably wouldn't be a protest. It could also be issues over employment by the cruise-line, who knows, but if they're protesting then whatever it is they are getting must not be worth it to them to stop the protests. I'd be curious to hear the reason from a local.

Lol!!!

As for the earlier post about asking for donations from passengers while blocking them from enjoying their vacation, my guess is that if they are protesting, then whatever assistance they've been promised (or are expecting) isn't getting to them. If it was, there probably wouldn't be a protest. It could also be issues over employment by the cruise-line, who knows, but if they're protesting then whatever it is they are getting must not be worth it to them to stop the protests. I'd be curious to hear the reason from a local.

The protests have been going on for months off and on. I believe something about their elections. They just hope for world news coverage.

The protests have been going on for months off and on. I believe something about their elections. They just hope for world news coverage.

This. It has nothing to do with donations. They are just trying to piss off the government

Back on the ship now! If it had to do with the prison thing, we weren't told anything about that. All seemed normal in port, other than possibly a high security presence but I haven't been here since 2004 so that may be normal now? We're staying an extra hour in port to give people more time. Not blaming RCI at all - just giving folks a heads up for future cruises.

They are selling hand made pepper grinders at the craft market now, be sure to stop by and get yours

This has nothing to do with what the OP posted, why do you always post when you have nothing to say but mean things that have nothing to do with the original topic! Start your own thread about bitchy stuff that makes me feel superior!

This has nothing to do with what the OP posted, why do you always post when you have nothing to say but mean things that have nothing to do with the original topic!

Ah but it does, if you are a well informed CC reader.

Edited by Biker19