Upgrades or Upsells, which comes first

Cruizann

Having booked many guarantee cabins over the years, our experience is that the upsells come first. Makes sense, they're hoping to get more $$. One time we turned down several upsell offers (ridiculous offers) and then we got the free upgrade anyway. That was a few years ago, it hasn't happened since then but the upsell offers we've gotten haven't improved either! :rolleyes:

I wondered if close to sailing date does the cruise line assign the staterooms to those who have taken a guarantee stateroom, ie HH or VH first or do they offer upsell offers first? Thank you for your advise.

My experience is that upsells come first, which makes sense as why not get more for the cabin?

One time I had an upsell offer from my Signature Suite to a nice SA Neptune in a great loaction. My friend had booked a SC guarantee and he was "upgraded" to a SB a week or so after I had my SA! Not a fair deal to be sure, but that is how it seems to work.

What would you consider a good deal on an upsell for a 7 day cruise, inside cabin guarantee to verandah mid ship?

This was my experience...booked an inside guarantee on the Westerdam for a 7-night Eastern about 7 weeks out for $450pp. Offered an upsell about 10 days later, veranda guarantee (VH) for $150pp. Assigned a VB on deck 5 smack in the middle with a view of the wake and an extended balcony. I considered that a fabulous deal, but even if I had been given a garden variety veranda I'd have been happy since it only cost $600pp or under $100 per day per person.

This was my experience...booked an inside guarantee on the Westerdam for a 7-night Eastern about 7 weeks out for $450pp. Offered an upsell about 10 days later, veranda guarantee (VH) for $150pp. Assigned a VB on deck 5 smack in the middle with a view of the wake and an extended balcony. I considered that a fabulous deal, but even if I had been given a garden variety veranda I'd have been happy since it only cost $600pp or under $100 per day per person.

Now that IS a good deal. Have never come close to an offer like that.