Back to back and changing cabins ?

JennJohnNYC

We have done one other back to back cruise where we had the same cabin and all was great. We have another back to back scheduled for December on the Summit but different suites for each sailing. Can anyone share how this works? I know we have to gather in the morning to get off the ship with other back to back cruisers and then proceed back onto the ship. Since new cabin won't be ready, when would we move our belongings out of the old suite and into the new one? Thanks!

You will get full instructions by the night before. We actually had to attend a briefing and we got a packet the night before disembarkation.

Talk with your butler and steward about getting things transferred to the new cabin early in the cruise. They will help you move as soon as your new cabin is ready for you - it is in their best interest to get you out of you first cabin as quickly as possible so they can prepare it for the next cruise. I think the previous occupants vacated about 8:15 and we were in our new cabin by 8:45.

The debarkation/embarkation process varies from port to port. When we did a back to back, we got our new seapasses and transit passes for the terminal the night before and we had to go to Quasar to have photos taken on embarkation morning. We could have stayed on board but we opted to play tourist. The transit pass allowed us to skip all (except security screening) the lines in the terminal when we came back. Our changeover was in Honolulu and we didn't have to go through immigration since we had gone through US customs in Vancouver prior to boarding.

Edited by cruzzzinma

We have done one other back to back cruise where we had the same cabin and all was great. We have another back to back scheduled for December on the Summit but different suites for each sailing. Can anyone share how this works? I know we have to gather in the morning to get off the ship with other back to back cruisers and then proceed back onto the ship. Since new cabin won't be ready, when would we move our belongings out of the old suite and into the new one? Thanks!

From my reading and my limited experience, it will vary from ship to ship and port to port. And probably also depends on how many other B2Bs there are on your ship. We just did a B2B with a turnaround in Vancouver. We were the only B2Bs aboard. We received a Transit Pass the night before. We packed our loose stuff, left the cabin, left the ship for the day. Came back aboard, bypassing the check-in lines with our Transit Pass, picked up our new door cards, and went aboard. Went to the new cabin. Unpacked and went for a drink.

In any cabin but especially in a suite, you will not move your belongings yourself. The hanging items will move on their hangers, any loose items will be moved for you. Do empty your safe. And if you are bit compulsive like me, you may want to drop your loose items from drawers and shelves into your suitcases. But the butler(s) will take care of that for you if you like.

It is a relatively common occurrence and the system seems to work.

We had the pleasure (!) of doing three in a row in three different cabins. It wasn't all that bad, except for the need to gather/pack all the things that can't be hung and moved n a trolley. We were told to gather in one of the lounges and after a fairly consiferable wait we were led on shore and processed through customs. That was quick and easy and we were then led back on board. Very simple. Between the first and second cruises, we dined in a restaurant set aside for B2Bers and I had one of the great filet mignons I have ever had. I was really looking forward to a repeat performance between the second and third trips, but friends persuaded us to eat elsewhere. Drat.

We were in Florida and well acquainted with things, so we saw no need for sightseeing. Maybe a more exotic port would have lured us off the ship, but I doubt it.

On our B2B cruise the room stewards were fantastic.

We didn't even have to empty the drawers,

they just swapped them over, I think

All our stuff was moved and in the new cabin

By 9 am. It helped that we were on the same floor.

We had the pleasure (!) of doing three in a row in three different cabins. It wasn't all that bad, except for the need to gather/pack all the things that can't be hung and moved n a trolley. We were told to gather in one of the lounges and after a fairly consiferable wait we were led on shore and processed through customs.

Was it customs or was it really immigration?

Since we live in the middle of Alaska and fly to every embarkation port we almost always to B2B or B2B2B series as airfare frequently costs the same whether we do one cruise or a B2B. While we have a times stayed in the same stateroom we also frequently change as a more desirable stateroom becomes available.

It can be interesting to read other folk's experiences on turnaround day, but the procedures can vary greatly between legs even on the same ship when doing a B2B2B. Influencing factors seem to be the number of B2B passengers, immigration regulations of a specific port and I suspect the manner in which the "stripe" in charge of the procedure prefers to handle turnaround day.

Earlier this month we changed Celebrity Suites on the Solstice while on a B2B. If the OP is in a suite the butlers will coordiate the transfer. In our most recent case the butler assigned to the new suite called the butler assigned to our origingal suite once the occupants were out. The butlers moved our belongings but we followed to put the some items in the safe which we didn't really want to carry around. Then it was down to Michael's Club for a cup of coffee before leaving the ship to spend the day in Sydney. For those who are not in a suite the stateroom attendants will generally do the same, particularly if you make a point of meeting the stateroom attendant for the second leg before turnaround day.

Thank you all! Yes, we will be in Royal Suites for both legs, but not sure if we will have the same Butler. Our turn around port is Puerto Rico and this is where we did our back to back a couple of years ago. We were in the same suite, so our Butler and room stewards actually had our room ready very early and we were able to go back to the room for a nap around 11am. I know rooms are usually ready by 1:30pm but hoping we will be able to get into our new cabin earlier. Thanks again!

I was planning on posting a similar question in a few weeks when I knew if we were going to be dealing with a B2B cruise, and a transfer from one cabin to another. Still don't know, but thought I would mention our potential situation and see if I can get some insight.

Situation:

DH and I are booked on a Western Mediterranean cruise out of Rome next May. We have now offered our adult children to fly over and meet us for the following Greek Isles cruise. If they do not wish to take advantage of our offer, we will fly home after the original Med. cruise. We have been to the Greek Isles a couple of times before. If they accept, great!

Should they accept, the children have never been to Europe, so we would all feel more comfortable having them fly in the day of the cruise. We would pick them up at the airport versus them flying in the day prior and doing Rome on their own. Plus, one daughter/SIL would be leaving their children at home and would want to make the trip as short as possible.

DH and I would have to do some fancy footwork to meet up with children when their flight arrives around 8:30 on the morning of the cruise. Our ship is set to arrive in port by 5:00am. We would like to be off by 6:30 or 7:00 to either meet a driver, or possibly take the train to the airport. (Anyone know if a train goes straight to FCO from the train station at Civitavecchia?) In the past, the Port of Civitavecchia has not had any type of immigration when disembarking. We have simply walked off, grabbed luggage and were on our way. Hopefully, things have not changed.

The reason for a stateroom change?

For the first cruise, DH and I are booked into an Aqua Class, our stateroom of choice. For the following cruise, if we book all staterooms in close proximity... in standard balcony staterooms, the price is considerably less pp for the 3 staterooms we will need. And I think that we will have more fun in the MDR together.:) Yes, DH and I could remain in our AQ and eat with the others in the MDR, but we would be paying an extra $600+ pp for that privilege. :rolleyes:

Question is:

Would Celebrity work with us so that we are able to disembark early enough to go pick up the children? Whether we took a train, or arranged a driver, we would have a driver at the airport to pick up all and take us on a quick tour of Rome or one of the villages on the way back to the port. Then on the return from the cruise we would spend one night in Rome for the children to experience the sites before flying out the following morning.

From my reading and my limited experience, it will vary from ship to ship and port to port. And probably also depends on how many other B2Bs there are on your ship. We just did a B2B with a turnaround in Vancouver. We were the only B2Bs aboard. We received a Transit Pass the night before. We packed our loose stuff, left the cabin, left the ship for the day. Came back aboard, bypassing the check-in lines with our Transit Pass, picked up our new door cards, and went aboard. Went to the new cabin. Unpacked and went for a drink.

This is hopeful! :)

In any cabin but especially in a suite, you will not move your belongings yourself. The hanging items will move on their hangers, any loose items will be moved for you. Do empty your safe. And if you are bit compulsive like me, you may want to drop your loose items from drawers and shelves into your suitcases. But the butler(s) will take care of that for you if you like.

It is a relatively common occurrence and the system seems to work.

No butler, but hopefully the room steward could do the same for us. ;)

We changed cabins while on Infinity in 2013. The change was in Harwich, UK. We took an excursion to Cambridge that day.

We had our luggage packed (no hanging clothes). I had already talked to the room steward and tipped him $20 to move us.

As earlier posters had remarked, X coordinated for the change the day before turnaround day, we got new key cards and were ready to go.

We did a B2B2B and changed cabins for each leg of the trip

Went from Agua to Suite. - packed everything in the suitcases, except for the hanging items in the closet. I took a picture of my bags before we left the room. We were in Southampton, so we had an excursion to Stonehenge. Everything in the safe went in my husbands backpack, along with the laptop. When we got back to the ship, everything was waiting for us in the suite.

On the next move we were in Amsterdam. we were moving from the suite to a Veranda, on the same deck, 100 feet away. We had the same room attendants, so they knew what was going on. We again packed everything except the hanging items. We did not leave the ship, we went to Michael's and had coffee and waited for the announcement that our room was ready.

I was very concerned, but everyone handled it very smoothly. Don't fret

Great tip about tipping! ;)

I agree a tip should be given, perhaps split between the two room stewards that will handle the move for you. A little extra goes a long way. We have done a couple of b2b2 cruises and had to switch rooms. Rather than pack you whole suitcase over again, I went to the gift shop and asked for around six or eight large gift bags and just emptied drawer by drawer into each. Even the bathroom stuff was a breeze and the same with all our shoes. I'm sure you will be very pleased how simple it is Just keep your safe belongings with you till the move is made...... Happy sailing.

luvstosail

Boston Ma

I agree a tip should be given, perhaps split between the two room stewards that will handle the move for you. A little extra goes a long way. We have done a couple of b2b2 cruises and had to switch rooms. Rather than pack you whole suitcase over again, I went to the gift shop and asked for around six or eight large gift bags and just emptied drawer by drawer into each. Even the bathroom stuff was a breeze and the same with all our shoes. I'm sure you will be very pleased how simple it is Just keep your safe belongings with you till the move is made...... Happy sailing.

luvstosail

Boston Ma

Great idea!

Should they accept, the children have never been to Europe, so we would all feel more comfortable having them fly in the day of the cruise. We would pick them up at the airport versus them flying in the day prior and doing Rome on their own. Plus, one daughter/SIL would be leaving their children at home and would want to make the trip as short as possible.

DH and I would have to do some fancy footwork to meet up with children when their flight arrives around 8:30 on the morning of the cruise. Our ship is set to arrive in port by 5:00am. We would like to be off by 6:30 or 7:00 to either meet a driver, or possibly take the train to the airport. (Anyone know if a train goes straight to FCO from the train station at Civitavecchia?) In the past, the Port of Civitavecchia has not had any type of immigration when disembarking. We have simply walked off, grabbed luggage and were on our way. Hopefully, things have not changed.

;)

Rather off the original topic, but I would be very nervous flying in on the day of the cruise. So many things can go wrong. My choice would definitely be for your kids to have the extra day in Rome pre cruise.

As far as I recall you have to change trains to get from the airport to Civitavecchia. When we did this, the train from the airport was replaced by a shuttle bus.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise with your family.

Sheila

Thanks Shelia.

I know, I know... about the risk. :o We would be breaking our #1 rule of not flying in the day before a cruise. However, cruise passengers do it all the time for these European cruises, as well as others. We will check on purchasing their air through Celebrity if/when the time comes. Then Celebrity would get them to the ship. Sicily/Messina would be the next port of call.

Beside's DD leaving the children for several days, she is also a teacher and will already be missing the last 1/2 day that students come to school.

Still waiting on a decision from the kids.