Warning - do not sail Celebrity with young children

Thorpeys

Now this is REALLY out of bounds. How do you know they haven't tried and can't? How do you know they haven't lost a child? Whether it's the case that it's their choice or not, you're hitting below the belt here.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Spookwife indicated that she had no kids, which I simply accepted at face value.

"It is apparent to me now the massive cultural differences in childcare and safeguarding practice between the UK and Florida."

I don't know how you alone can speak for the standards of all of the UK or all of Florida. Celebrity has offered a service to parents of children sailing with them. If you don't appreciate that service then don't use it and entertain your children the way you would elsewhere. I, for one, have seen so many bored, acting out children on some of our cruises instead of being at a beach or elsewhere geared to children. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with our children at various Caribbean islands, sharing the history and culture and just plain fun stuff offered there. When they are little, they don't really understand the hard-scape of a ship even if they have a playground available. Older children seem to adjust and enjoy the programs and the formality of sailing. Just my opinion so please don't flame me.

Edited by oceangoer2

IMO taking young kids on cruises is just asking for trouble.

Leave the kids home with a friend or relative. Somebody will watch them. They'll survive without you. When you get home the kids may appreciate you more.

Adults deserve adult time too.

There are many other times during the year for child enrichment. There's a reason Disneyworld and theme parks and museums exist. Maybe just try taking your kid to a park or the beach or the zoo or fishing. The idea is to spend normal time with them.

Sorry if you think it's an old fashioned view.

Cruise ships and Celebrity are just another of those options, perhaps some should come into this century.

Your comments about leaving the children home with friends or relatives reminds me of a post a number of years ago. A poster told someone to leave the kids home with the grandparents and was immediately told they were dead. Point is you don't know the circumstances.

By the way can't wait until I can take my grandchildren on Celebrity cruise and help to make them Elite like my kids are.

Edited by dkjretired

Not old fashioned at all. Many of us feel exactly that way. So it should not come as a surprise at all. We do our best to avoid all the school holidays but as you see on this thread, it is impossible to avoid all the holidays or parents just plainly seeing a cheaper cruise being more important than their kid going to school.

I am very glad that the original poster had the courage to post that Celebrity is not ideal for children. I am also happy with so many of you that have said that cruises in general are not for children. Unless on a special ship with special amenities, like Disney etc.

Please keep this topic polite, so as not to give any reason for it to vanish.

It is old fashioned, no question about it. Would it be impolite to mention that some of us know your posting history on this subject.

Cruise ships and Celebrity are just another of those options, perhaps some should come into this century.

Your comments about leaving the children home with friends or relatives reminds me of a post a number of years ago. A poster told someone to leave the kids home with the grandparents and was immediately told they were dead. Point is you don't know the circumstances.

By the way can't wait until I can take my grandchildren on Celebrity cruise and help to make them Elite like my kids are.

Re read; stated as " friends or relatives' not just grandparents.

BTW I'm not that old. I have children in their 20's. I know when we cruised my sisters were happy to watch them and we reciprocated. Adults need adult time so they stay together for their own sake and for the kids sake. Don't tell me they have absolutely no one that could watch the kids, I don't believe that.

It is old fashioned, no question about it. Would it be impolite to mention that some of us know your posting history on this subject.

Yes, it would be impolite -- and you KNOW IT, which is why your passive-aggressive question was typed to begin with.

Why must you insinuate that his OPINION is wrong?? It is not wrong, it is obviously different from YOUR OPINION, but it doesn't make it wrong. You make think it's old fashioned, he does not. The funny thing about opinions -- they are neither right or wrong, they simply are opinions.

Ugh, we wonder why political discourse has gotten so nasty in this country -- just read an internet forum and you can see why. It's not enough to debate, one must vilify, destroy and "show the world that only my opinion is the "right" one".

Bottomline -- some people would rather not cruise with a ship full of children. Other people want to bring their children on cruises with them.

Mike

I'm taking my four year old in two weeks on the Reflection. It will be three adults plus her. I could have left her with my parents (as I am with my one year old) but I know she'll love cruising. I also think she'd thrive in the ratios described considering her preschool is about the same. We are both working and she's a joy to be around and will be in kindergarten next year so I'm enjoying this time while I can. This is my right as a paying customer on a family friendly line. As is the right of the curmudgeons to avoid family friendly lines.

This thread in general is horrifying (not the OP who is more than entitled to her opinion).

For those that don't like children, P&O have 2 'Exclusively For Adults' ships. We were on Cunard Queen Elizabeth 3 weeks ago, and we only saw 2 under 5's all cruise, and the youth centre appeared deserted. We typically sail during the school term time, school holidays are taken up looking after our children's houses, our grand children (nine!) and assorted dogs and cats!

This thread in general is horrifying (not the OP who is more than entitled to her opinion).

HUH? I don't understand. Are you saying that only people you agree with are entitled to an opinion, but those you don't agree with are not entitled to an opinion contrary to yours?

BTW I'm not that old. I have children in their 20's. I know when we cruised my sisters were happy to watch them and we reciprocated. Adults need adult time so they stay together for their own sake and for the kids sake. Don't tell me they have absolutely no one that could watch the kids, I don't believe that.

If you would read my first paragraph I said friends and relatives

Yes, it would be impolite -- and you KNOW IT, which is why your passive-aggressive question was typed to begin with.

Why must you insinuate that his OPINION is wrong?? It is not wrong, it is obviously different from YOUR OPINION, but it doesn't make it wrong. You make think it's old fashioned, he does not. The funny thing about opinions -- they are neither right or wrong, they simply are opinions.

Ugh, we wonder why political discourse has gotten so nasty in this country -- just read an internet forum and you can see why. It's not enough to debate, one must vilify, destroy and "show the world that only my opinion is the "right" one".

Bottomline -- some people would rather not cruise with a ship full of children. Other people want to bring their children on cruises with them.

Mike

I have in previous posts said someone's opinion is okay and should be respected but there is a history and asking to be polite is funny if you know that history.

A large part of the ugliness of political discourse is that people very often don't know both sides of the story or care to know.

Edited by dkjretired

Well we have just left same cruise and our 9 year old would give anything to get back on board .

We have sailed Celebrity for a few years now, we tried RCC and we didn't enjoy it , and neither did our son. he much preferred Celebrity.

So to get the facts into perspective as I would hate people to disregard Celeb as a family cruise line

on board for this particular cruise there were only 70 kids age range 0-17 , fun factory up to age 11 is all in same huge room but is split by dividers , the under 8 go in the area that is secure and children are booked in via a locked gate. therefore there are always a couple of counsellors in that area , just not in the designated 3-8 bit.

There are set times for club and if its not open you cannot play. once children are over 9 it is up to the parents if the kids sign themselves in and out.

The shows are excellent and the kids love them , obviously there are some just for adults and that is explained on planners , on the Cruise director channel , and at the end of shows for the following evening.

I was extremely worried when we got on board and realised it was mostly 65+ I have never seen so many mobility scooters , zimmerframes ,and walking sticks in my life, but I have to say we all had a great time.Every activity was packed , the theatre was packed both shows. Apart from a few people who disliked children we really had a fabulous time,

The fun factory staff did a brilliant job and the kids talent show on the last night just proved this, Us parents all turned up , the kids enjoyed and so did the staff.

I know we all see things differently and yes mine is older , but i am defo a helicopter mum, but i felt very safe leaving him there.

Have you ever thought that many people WANT to cruise with their children? Just because YOU do not want to cruise with children does not mean that cruising with them is wrong; it's just wrong for YOU, and that is your prerogative. Doesn't mean that everyone agrees with you.

It never ceases to amaze me at how vitriolic people can be towards other posters, in this case towards the OP...................

My thought precisely.

Your kids are your most valuable asset, should be your raison d'etre and they are not to be left in unsatisfatory conditions. We too prefer not to have too many kids around and deliberately avoid school holiday windows when we cruise but that doesn't mean that kids aboard shouldn't be absolutely safe.

Having a single person in the room, regardless of how many kids they are caring for is asking for trouble. What if one of the kids, or even the responsible adult was suddenly taken ill? Not so long ago there was an issue with a child supervisor on Cunard ships - it ended up with him getting a four year jail sentence. Those spraying the vitriol at the OP should bear that in mind - a single person in the room is unacceptable in any circumstances.

As for kids with Lego in the Martini bar, well it's hardly the busiest place on the ship during daylight hours is it?

Fact is, on any of these cruise line forums there are some people who just won't hear a bad word about their favourite company. It's a shame that someone's concern about their kids has to engender such responses.

Edited by Chunky2219
ttpo

Here is my point. If a thread was started about how Celebrity didn't meet the needs of adult paying customers needing special physical assistance (scooters, walkers), I doubt the thread would have devolved into why these customers shouldn't be on a cruise to begin with. Or maybe it would. Either way, that would be disgusting as adults with special needs have the same right to be there as other customers.

Celebrity markets to families by having a free kids club, period. You are welcome to not prefer the choice Celebrity has made but instead to blame parents for believing the marketing is... Interesting.

Also it is absurd to think every family has a trusted relative or family member available to watch their kids for a week at a time. Most of my friends do not. The fact this is brought up repeatedly makes me wonder about empathy.

Well we have just left same cruise and our 9 year old would give anything to get back on board .

We have sailed Celebrity for a few years now, we tried RCC and we didn't enjoy it , and neither did our son. he much preferred Celebrity.

So to get the facts into perspective as I would hate people to disregard Celeb as a family cruise line

on board for this particular cruise there were only 70 kids age range 0-17 , fun factory up to age 11 is all in same huge room but is split by dividers , the under 8 go in the area that is secure and children are booked in via a locked gate. therefore there are always a couple of counsellors in that area , just not in the designated 3-8 bit.

There are set times for club and if its not open you cannot play. once children are over 9 it is up to the parents if the kids sign themselves in and out.

The shows are excellent and the kids love them , obviously there are some just for adults and that is explained on planners , on the Cruise director channel , and at the end of shows for the following evening.

I was extremely worried when we got on board and realised it was mostly 65+ I have never seen so many mobility scooters , zimmerframes ,and walking sticks in my life, but I have to say we all had a great time.Every activity was packed , the theatre was packed both shows. Apart from a few people who disliked children we really had a fabulous time,

The fun factory staff did a brilliant job and the kids talent show on the last night just proved this, Us parents all turned up , the kids enjoyed and so did the staff.

I know we all see things differently and yes mine is older , but i am defo a helicopter mum, but i felt very safe leaving him there.

Thank you for posting your comments and giving another perspective to the FF set up. Also for confirming that there were only 70 under 18s in total on the ship ;). Glad you and your family had such a good time.

Again, not the issue as to whether the kids are off officially or not, would X need to be combining age groups if there are so many kids onboard, and it only resulted in a group of 11?

Merely trying to point out for those questioning why kids were even onboard when some feel school is supposed to be in session. A variety of schedules exist around the world.

We are anticipating our November cruise to have combined age groups - it's something X has said will happen on low enrollment cruises. Right now our rollcall has no other families so we may have very few children - first rollcall in 16 years on CC I haven't seen another family with kids. Friends on a previous X cruise had the only two kids onboard their Transatlanic crossing... And the kids loved it :)

Don,

I am glad you know my posting history on this subject. As you can see, I am very consistent. Thank you for pointing it out. It is not impolite at all.

"It is apparent to me now the massive cultural differences in childcare and safeguarding practice between the UK and Florida."

I don't know how you alone can speak for the standards of all of the UK or all of Florida. Celebrity has offered a service to parents of children sailing with them. If you don't appreciate that service then don't use it and entertain your children the way you would elsewhere. I, for one, have seen so many bored, acting out children on some of our cruises instead of being at a beach or elsewhere geared to children. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with our children at various Caribbean islands, sharing the history and culture and just plain fun stuff offered there. When they are little, they don't really understand the hard-scape of a ship even if they have a playground available. Older children seem to adjust and enjoy the programs and the formality of sailing. Just my opinion so please don't flame me.

Same here, we took our kids to Caribbean islands, renting a villa. We also traveled with another family with kids and all the kids, as well as us adults, had memorable fussfree holidays. We also took them to Europe and elsewhere around the world, they traveled well. In their 30s now, in fact I'm traveling on the QM2 with my daughter and her husband in a few weeks. We have a different rule, she's not allowed to leave the bar unless she finishes her martini :D

It looks like a reason for the conflicting opinions expressed here may be the differing expectations of different nationalities.

Generations of Americans have grown up attending schools where the norm is to have one adult teacher per classroom.

So we do not consider 11 children to one adult counselor to be at all unsafe, unusual or unreasonable, especially on a cruise ship with security cameras and security personnel on board readily available if needed.

As for fear of the responsible adult suddenly being taken ill, there is always that risk, even for a parent home alone with a small child.

To me, the risk of a bus driver, or any parent driving a van full of children out in traffic suddenly being taken ill or getting into an accident poses a far greater risk than a teacher or counselor in a classroom setting.