Road to Hana - which side of the bus

Dreamer115

The tour that I took went all around the east end of the island and then up through the middle and back down to Kahului, so I was on the coastal side the whole way. It didn't go to Hana and back, if it did then it probably wouldn't matter what side of the bus you sit.

Honestly...unless you've seen everything else Maui has to offer, you will waste an entire day on this trip. Hana is ok...but ONLY if you have an entire day to "kill"... Maui has so much to offer...riding thru the "outback" of Maui seems a waste of your limited time. The beginning of the trip is "tropical"...the rest is moonscape....bumpy and desolate.

We are going to be there for 2 weeks so it won't be a wasted day. Looking forward to it and want DH to enjoy it too that is why we are taking a tour rather than driving

Agree with the recommendations for sitting on the left side if it's a tour that returns via the other side of Haleakala...i.e. a loop vs. just to Hana & back.

A disadvantage to doing a tour is not being able to hike the Pipiwai Trail ... but if hiking isn't of interest, then it's not an issue.

Doing the RTH will be a day well spent during your two weeks on Maui ... enjoy.:)

Edited by Susan-M

Thank you Susan, I think it will be very worth it. Going in December and can't wait. We spent 2 days in Maui on a cruise 3 years ago and this time is a flying in trip so we have more time to see everything. I just wish that Iao Valley was open but unfortunately it will be closed for several months.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Connie