Question on Additional Tips to Crew

crooser888

Just got off the Star Princess yesterday. In addition to the auto-tip of $12.95 per day per person, we also tipped extra to our waiter and asst waiter for Anytime Dining since we managed to get both of them looking after us all week. We also give an extra tip to our cabin steward.

When we gave our envelopes to the MDR staff on our last night, we were asked for our cabin number as other wait staff from other tables looked on. Our cabin number was then written on the envelopes. Was there a reason for this? I mentioned to our wait staff that we did not reduce or remove any of the auto-gratuity and that this was extra for them for doing a great job. I think I have read elsewhere that they are supposed to declare these extra tips and only get to keep them if the customer has not reduced or removed the auto-tip. Is this information right? Anyone else have knowledge and would care to comment?

Thank you.

Yes, I believe they require the cabin number to check whether the tips were removed or not. If they were removed they have to hand over the tip to go into the pool but if they haven't been removed, as in your case, they are allowed to keep the extra tip.

Yes, I believe they require the cabin number to check whether the tips were removed or not. If they were removed they have to hand over the tip to go into the pool but if they haven't been removed, as in your case, they are allowed to keep the extra tip.

Exactly this. They write your name and cabin number on the envelope. After the tally, if you have not removed your auto tips your waiter, assistant and cabin steward gets all the extra you gave. It protects the people you are rewarding.

I agree. That is also what we were told by the waiter whom we gave, even if their name is on the envelope.

If we have "gratuities included" from a Princess Promotion will our steward and waiters see us as paid on their "list"? We like to give "extra" at the end and would like them to be able to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we have "gratuities included" from a Princess Promotion will our steward and waiters see us as paid on their "list"? We like to give "extra" at the end and would like them to be able to keep it.

They are only informed of the cabin and passengers who cancelled the gratuities. They presume then that passengers not on the list paid their gratuities and are not aware if it was thru a free-gratuity promotion.

They are only informed of the cabin and passengers who cancelled the gratuities. They presume then that passengers not on the list paid their gratuities and are not aware if it was thru a free-gratuity promotion.

How do you know that and can you prove it? Did you ever see a list with the passengers names on it that cancelled there gratuities? I never did.

Tony

How do you know that and can you prove it? Did you ever see a list with the passengers names on it that cancelled there gratuities? I never did.

Tony

The supervisors will have access to the list, not the waitstaff and not the passengers.

Of course, if the tip is handed back to the waiter, he/she knows the passenger did not reduce or eliminate the auto-tip. He/she would not know if the suto-tip was taken care of by a promotion.