Tipping on board brittania?

kandgm2006

So doing it your way P&O would receive the same amount of money, but need to advertise higher headline fares. And the additional revenue would feature in its accounts for taxation, etc.

I think they will pass on your idea.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Tax, a good question. All tips have to be reported to Inland Revenue and the tax paid on them. If this doesn't happen on cruise ships it's worth asking why I have to pay my taxes in full but ships staff don't. Another reason why they are laughing, in this case all the way to the bank.

DAVID

Tax, a good question. All tips have to be reported to Inland Revenue and the tax paid on them. If this doesn't happen on cruise ships it's worth asking why I have to pay my taxes in full but ships staff don't. Another reason why they are laughing, in this case all the way to the bank.

DAVID

Nothing has to be reported to Inland Revenue because the staff that receive gratuities are not UK citizens and do not pay tax in the UK. Those onboard that are UK citizens i.e Captains, Entertainment Managers and team and other officers have a different way of paying Income Tax than the rest of us because they are out of the country for so much of a tax year.

Edited by majortom10

Why would you tip twice? Madness!!! I bet the stewards have a right laugh at your expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If a steward or a bartender has gone above and beyond they might get an extra 10 or 20. That's all. (I would also fill out the card recognising good service, which is probably more important).

BTW - I am quite sane and in complete command of my faculties.

If the odd tenner here or there bothers you that much...

It makes me smile how quick some folk are to pass criticism at what other folk do. Since P&O give passengers a choice then surely it's up to each of us to do as we wish to. The only thing that grates with me is when this type of thing becomes a topic for discussion around the dinner table, possibly fuelled by a glass of wine or 2 ... then it can get exciting and only second to "how much or little did you pay for your holiday?".

The funniest sight I saw was a passenger who obviously wanted to make a great show of handing over an envelope to the wine waiter with a captive audience, on the last evening. As they stood at the table, they stumbled during their theatrical drink assisted performance sadly taking out another poor waiter carrying a tray of deserts. Funny because no one was hurt ... this is apart from said passengers shirt being just a little covered.

No, they would advertise as "all gratuities included". I don't believe the quoted price is the main priority with most customers: ship, itinerary, and preferred line are what most look for before price.

I have sailed on no tipping ships and the whole atmosphere was more relaxed both for the staff and the passengers with not having this unfair and decisive system in force.

DAVID.

If only there was a like button! Couldn't agree more. At the tipping level P&O charge the amount added to the headline fare would probably only have to be about £10 per person for a 7 night trip, not a massive amount. However, the benefits of being 'gratuities included' would be big to me and many others like me.

If only there was a like button! Couldn't agree more. At the tipping level P&O charge the amount added to the headline fare would probably only have to be about £10 per person for a 7 night trip, not a massive amount. However, the benefits of being 'gratuities included' would be big to me and many others like me.

I think it will require everyone to write to Pando stating they want the fare to include grats , and on the end of cruise questionnaire, and if we ever get anyone appearing on here, for them to pay any attention.

So many people say on here include it...but they only seem to pay attention when it is knocked into them again and again and again. Oh and again

You don't think the staff laugh at the passengers then?

David

I hope they don't laugh at the passengers who tip, just maybe those who don't when they use their toothbrushes!:p

DAVID

I doubt that crew members who are not UK residents will pay any tax to the UK authorities, whether it is from tips or wages.

I think it will require everyone to write to Pando stating they want the fare to include grats , and on the end of cruise questionnaire, and if we ever get anyone appearing on here, for them to pay any attention.

So many people say on here include it...but they only seem to pay attention when it is knocked into them again and again and again. Oh and again

I had not thought about it before, last weekend we filled in the online questionnaire and one of the questions was about "all inclusive" being important. We always respond that it is not important to us but maybe we need to starting to say that it is very important if we want to have the tips rolled up into the headline price. Just a thought.

Edited by Josy1953

This could be partly what they are getting at, but also may refer to the offering of a drinks package to have a more all inclusive cruise.

I really hope they switch and include the tips in the cruise fare - better for the crew as well to know that they are going to get a regular salary and are not relying on whether they get a 'payer' or 'non payer' in the cabins they are looking after.

I do sometimes wonder whether the people who run cruise lines actually go on cruise holidays or read forums....probably not unfortunately.

This could be partly what they are getting at, but also may refer to the offering of a drinks package to have a more all inclusive cruise.

It could also just mean a fully inclusive cruise holiday with all meals and entertainment provided; as opposed to a room only hotel holiday, and they are looking to see which is your preference.

Just as a matter of interest, I wonder what happens when cruise lines do a 'free gratuities ' promotion. Do the crew still get their tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course they do. The cruise line just puts all the fares up a little bit to compensate, which begs the question, why not have the 'free gratuities' promotion running permanently ;)

Similar to 'children go free' - no they don't, they are paid for by all the adult fares.

Free drinks package? - not free just included in all the fares.

Hello everyone. This has made for a very interesting read. There are some fors and againsts in my opinion.

Here's my view on the subject, having spoken to various cruise staff on various lines. No matter which line you travel on, there will always be some staff who say they don't receive tips on the auto tipping scheme. We have become very friendly with some of the staff who used to work on the cruise lines. They were very happy to work with the cruise line for the wages paid, in many cases the final wage inc the tips were a lot more than they would have got working in their country. As they said " Why would anyone who wasn't happy with what wage they received, sign up to do another contract?" many of the staff sign up time and time again.

We cruise with a line that includes a NON removable daily service charge. We prefer it that way. IMO that's the fairest way and it means we don't have to worry about extra costs. We have been told that the service charge gets shared between ALL non salaried staff.

As for those who feel that tips/service charge are too high, that's your prerogative. Again there will ALWAYS be somebody who won't tip. that's just human nature. We knew a Lady who after having spent 101 nights on a world cruise, handed in an envelope after each segment with just a thank you note. She made no bones about it, it was just her way. There is no wrong or right, just do what your conscience tells you. Happy cruising. :)