New internet / WiFi packages ?

Southendweather

I do not use streaming stuff but download data (txt files) and generally browse websites, and then upload as well (although the latter not a necessity), so I was wondering whether the £12.50 option is all that I need. If you plan it well you can spread over two days and chose what days, probably a sea day.

Just wondered if anyone had used one of the packages and what they could or couldn't do? On the whole, although a bit slow, I have been fairly satisfied with the reliability in the past. One word of caution, if going to fjords in Norway, the satellite is quite low on the horizon, so once in the Fjords you lose reception, something that shouldn't be a problem in the Caribbean...

Many thanks

Keith (Southend):confused:

<snip>

The Connect Package - £7.75 for 24 hours

A simple way to stay in touch with family and friends through social networks. (Includes internet messaging and social media.)

The Browse Package - £12.50 for 24 hours

Browse the internet as you would usually, plus email and social networks. (Includes web browsing, email, internet messaging and social media.)

The Works - £24.95 for 24 hours

Stream YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music, video call, browse, email, and share via social networks. (Includes YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music streaming services, web browsing, internet messaging, email and social media.)

<snip>

Someone may correct me, but I don't think you can spread it over 2 days, I think it's from when you start. Personally I take my tablet ashore and use the free wifi in most terminals or when I have a coffee.

The wifi is for 24 hours from activation.

In theory you can spread it over 2 days if you don't activate it until the afternoon.

I used it on Azura last week & on Britannia last month & purchased the £12.50 option.

It lets you use one device at a time, however, if you are willing to share your log on details & remember to log out :rolleyes: then you can allow others to share your package. I'm not talking random people here; we travelled with some friends & I let them have my log on details so they could check their emails etc when we weren't using it. It worked very well.

Joan

Yes and no. They use a satellite connection, so in theory, you can get it way out to sea. But the connection can be 'flaky'. One trip, they had to refund a chunk of money because it didn't work for three days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you get internet connection at sea. In January we will have 6 sea days in a row. So it would be handy if I can get internet connection to check e mails etc.

The new system was excellent when we sailed a few weeks ago, whilst it is expensive the speed and quality were excellent, despite a very rough crossing of the Atlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are currently on Britannia and bought the unlimited wifi package for the duration of the cruise. We think it is excellent. We use it for downloading the newspaper, email, browsing the web, my online scrabble games, Facebook and updating the photos we take and generally doing "stuff" that we would do at home. The cost was £175.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Arcadia in Sept the cost of the package was just the daily cost scaled up by the number of days, so there was no incentive/enhancement. You can still get internet every day by buying it at 2pm for 24 hours on alternate days. This means some days you have it in the morning, some in the afternoon/eve. If you have lots of sea days this is a useful strategy, I picked 2pm but obviously you can pick the time to suit you. It was a great service but a bit annoying you could only log on one device so had to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

We are currently on Britannia and bought the unlimited wifi package for the duration of the cruise. We think it is excellent. We use it for downloading the newspaper, email, browsing the web, my online scrabble games, Facebook and updating the photos we take and generally doing "stuff" that we would do at home. The cost was £175.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is that for a fortnight? If it is I consider that a bargain, horses for courses.

I intend to buy a MiFi device for the world cruise and a data sim. These seem to cost around £25 per 30 days - a bargain when compared with P&O and secure unlike free wifi.

But would you get a signal at sea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For anyone on an EE phone contract. You can opt in to a £1 per day Euro Data Pass where you get 50mb of data for £1 per day......just text EURO to 150......opt in once and you will only be charged on the days you use it.....we found this really useful on our recent med cruise for checking emails , updating Facebook etc......only works in port of course and just in Europe but excellent value for a pound.