RIP - Parmesan basket with fettuccine alfredo in MDR

cruiseesusee

It has joined the list of a number of other things that have disappeared from Princess:

o Welcome aboard cookies in your stateroom

o Chocolate pops at the Champagne Waterfall

o Godiva chocolate on the Love Boat Dream dessert

o Sesame seeds on the dining room bread sticks

o Chocolate covered strawberries for Elites on formal evenings

o Canapes at the Captain's Circle repeat passenger gettogether

On our recent cruises on the Caribbean Princess and Royal Princess, we had canapes. Those delicious small cheese filled quiches, and a couple of other canapes that were good. Also on each table was a jar of a mixture of rice crackers and wasabi peas. On Royal we asked for Sauvignon Blanc and the waiter brought us nasty horrible Moscato. We left the full glasses sitting there and they ignored us because we refused to drink it.:mad:

On our recent cruises on the Caribbean Princess and Royal Princess, we had canapes. Those delicious small cheese filled quiches, and a couple of other canapes that were good.

They must have changed their mind.

In April and May on the Caribbean Princess they did not have the canapes and that is when we were told they were being eliminated fleetwide.

In April and May on the Caribbean Princess they did not have the canapes and that is when we were told they were being eliminated fleetwide.

As mentioned, the Royal had canapes but they were nothing to get excited about. Same old tasteless hot dogs, cheese & dried out something.

I passed on all of them.

I've had staff tell me stuff, but I have the old grain of salt handy. I have had the canapes twice this year, on the Diamond and on the Grand.

• 2 weeks later...

We embarked on the Regal on the 18th. There were Parm baskets for the fettuccini only once--at embarkation lunch in the dining room. I was surprised to see it and even snapped a pic. My husband didn't eat it because it was rubbery--not at all like the crispy goodness we've had in the past. The boys we were with ordered fettuccini at least once for every dinner meal and we never saw baskets again.

There were canapés at the Captain's circle get together.

Her Godmother gave me her recipe for Marinara and it says start with a big pot at 700 in the morning.

Sounds like a similar process for making Pho. It takes my MIL all day to make the broth for it.

Too bad about the Parmesan bowl. It will be missed. It sure make the presentation attractive.

Was on the Emerald Princess previous 2 weeks.

In Club Class Dining, I noticed the Fettuccine Alfredo on the Princess favourites as usual, and mentioned to my waiter that I miss the Parmesan Basket. He said he notice it hadn't been on the menu for a while, but, "If you like it, I will have chef make it". In 5 mins, I had my Alfredo Fettuccine in a Parmesan Basket on my table. I didn't realize it was that quick and simple to make.....

How's that for service..:D

Was on the Emerald Princess previous 2 weeks.

In Club Class Dining, I noticed the Fettuccine Alfredo on the Princess favourites as usual, and mentioned to my waiter that I miss the Parmesan Basket. He said he notice it hadn't been on the menu for a while, but, "If you like it, I will have chef make it". In 5 mins, I had my Alfredo Fettuccine in a Parmesan Basket on my table. I didn't realize it was that quick and simple to make.....

How's that for service..:D

Hope it's not only for Club Class dining.

On the Regal in May they had the basket but it wasn't the same. What they served me was on the orange side and very oily. Gross doesn't even come close. These are so easy to make not sure why they would not do this any longer as it seemed to be a favorite.

Oh well guess I don't need all that extra salt a few nights a week on vacation.

Edited by latebloomer56
spelling

We were on the Crown in October when there was no fettuccini basket. I asked our waiter if they could make it for me then following night. The answer was no. I suppose I could have asked the Head Waiter but I didn't. We sail again in April. I may ask the Head Waiter next time just to see what his answer is.

I too am SO sad to see the Parmesan Cheese Basket discontinued. I am a very picky eater, and I usually order it 3 to 4 times per cruise with a chicken breast. I eat every bite of it!

I have had a hard time getting the basket on my last few cruises, but I had been told to be sure to order it as a main course instead of the appetizer to get the basket. Now I guess the real reason is that it is no longer available.:(

We were on the Crown in October when there was no fettuccini basket. I asked our waiter if they could make it for me then following night. The answer was no. I suppose I could have asked the Head Waiter but I didn't. We sail again in April. I may ask the Head Waiter next time just to see what his answer is.

Same answer on Emerald last month.

"sorry but no".

...mentioned to my waiter that I miss the Parmesan Basket. He said he notice it hadn't been on the menu for a while, but, "If you like it, I will have chef make it". In 5 mins, I had my Alfredo Fettuccine in a Parmesan Basket on my table. I didn't realize it was that quick and simple to make...

They are actually quite simple to make. There are YouTube videos that show it, if you are interested. I'm guessing it is the relatively high cost of parmesan that is the reason behind the elimination, not the labor to make them. I imagine the food cost for the basket is greater than for the rest of the Alfredo dish itself.

They are actually quite simple to make. There are YouTube videos that show it, if you are interested. I'm guessing it is the relatively high cost of parmesan that is the reason behind the elimination, not the labor to make them. I imagine the food cost for the basket is greater than for the rest of the Alfredo dish itself.

I think you've hit it.

They've cheapened up the cheese mixture years ago they use on the fettuccine .

They must be easy to make if it was so quick and no trouble at all..?? I'll check out those youtube vids.

I'm actually interested to see over time if any other Parmesan Basket Mourners in club class get the same response as me over time if requested, or if I just got lucky. The waiter(s) were brilliant the whole cruise in Club Class, no request to great...

Just order it as an additional main course to be served first & tell them to hold the fettuccine. :rolleyes:

That wasn't the case last October on the Crown when I asked for the fettuccini as a main course. Hope Princess had a change of mind since so many passengers were disappointed. I enjoyed it with the basket as a main course when nothing else on the menu was to my liking.