Booking while on board ... what are the current perks?

Travel Pat

We'll be on the Nov 5 Reflection and will be looking to book another cruise while we are onboard. Looking at Europe in 2017 on either Celebrity or RC. Can someone tell me what kind of perks are currently being given for booking onboard? Also are the perks generally better for the Celebrity cruise vs the RC since we are on Celebrity? Thanks for any info you can share!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think when we booked in Feb this year we got an extra $170 OBC. We transferred the booking to our TA when we got home for extra benefits which will vary between TA's. Some are very generous to get your business some will give you nothing so it pays to shop around

Edited by Beanb41

We just got off the Summit and booked a cruise...pick 2 of 4 perks unless you book a suite, which will get you all 4 perks. There is additional OBC based on the room booked and length of cruise. We got an extra 200 for booking a 12 night cruise in Aqua. The maximum additional OBC was 500.

When you get the extra OBC do you have the option of using it on the current cruise or the new cruise? Is it better to take it on the current cruise? I have read some complaints that if you decide to move the new booking you could lose the promotions if they are not still available for the new booking. I am not sure if this means you could potentially lose the extra OBC.

We always choose to take the OBC on the future cruise. If you decide to do that and cancel the cruise the deposit will be refunded. The future OBC is one perk that you will not lose if you transfer the cruise to another one. The amount might change if you book a longer or shorter cruise, or upgrade or downgrade your stateroom.

Our upcoming Alaska cruise was booked on board as a Panama Canal cruise and moved 3 times until we settled on Alaska. The OBC dropped slightly because we went from a 15 day to a 7 day cruise. The other perks changed based on the offer at the time we decided on Alaska.

It said for use on the current cruise, but we didn't book until the end of the cruise so they applied to the next cruise. We were told that if we needed to change the cruise, all of the perks would be transferred to the new booking and the only way to lose them was to cancel the cruise all together. We knew we would spend more on a longer European cruise than a 7 day Caribbean cruise with just 1 sea day and a drink package. Depends on what and how you spend your OBC.

We just got off the Summit and booked a cruise...pick 2 of 4 perks unless you book a suite, which will get you all 4 perks. There is additional OBC based on the room booked and length of cruise. We got an extra 200 for booking a 12 night cruise in Aqua. The maximum additional OBC was 500.

And the PDF that cruizzzinma linked to is the experience that we had on the Summit this month. However, we were under the impression that the amount of OBC equaled the amount of the deposit pp. Here's why:

We booked 3 future reservations/staterooms (AQ on 11 night cruise) for the same cruise. One for DH and me, and one for each of our daughters. When first making the booking, we were not sure if my daughter's husband/friend would accompany them in their staterooms, so we only assigned one name per stateroom. One daughter didn't think her DH would be interested in a cruise, and the other daughter doesn't currently have a significant other. Those reservations had only a $100 deposit and only received $100 OBC for booking onboard.

After talking to the children, we went back to the Future Sales office and added 2nd passenger names to both the girls reservations. The reservations now say $200 OBC. Funny thing is, they did not charge a deposit for the 2nd passengers on those two bookings. That will catch up with us eventually. LOL

Another weird occurrence... Twice, we received a flyer in our stateroom that was different from what cruizzzma linked to. The flyer clearly stated that only 1 Perk, plus the OBC was to be given. When making our reservations, I was only expecting the 1 Perk. When the rep said 2 Perks, I questioned her and told her about the flyers. She seemed mystified that we had received them and that they were incorrect. In fact, I don't think she believed me (why would I lie about that!) until I produced the flyer. I told her that Celebrity's communication seems mixed up, both on shore and now onboard, and that someone should probably get their act together. If the correct flyer was being distributed, perhaps they would be getting more onboard bookings.:rolleyes:

Finally, to answer the OP's question...what is/was being offered in October, may very well change for November. So don't count on what you read here, and don't rely on any flyers you may receive. Ask directly in the Future Cruise office.!

Edited by Iamthesea

And the PDF that cruizzzinma linked to is the experience that we had on the Summit this month. However, we were under the impression that the amount of OBC equaled the amount of the deposit pp. Here's why:

We booked 3 future reservations/staterooms (AQ on 11 night cruise) for the same cruise. One for DH and me, and one for each of our daughters. When first making the booking, we were not sure if my daughter's husband/friend would accompany them in their staterooms, so we only assigned one name per stateroom. One daughter didn't think her DH would be interested in a cruise, and the other daughter doesn't currently have a significant other. Those reservations had only a $100 deposit and only received $100 OBC for booking onboard.

After talking to the children, we went back to the Future Sales office and added 2nd passenger names to both the girls reservations. The reservations now say $200 OBC. Funny thing is, they did not charge a deposit for the 2nd passengers on those two bookings. That will catch up with us eventually. LOL

Another weird occurrence... Twice, we received a flyer in our stateroom that was different from what cruizzzma linked to. The flyer clearly stated that only 1 Perk, plus the OBC was to be given. When making our reservations, I was only expecting the 1 Perk. When the rep said 2 Perks, I questioned her and told her about the flyers. She seemed mystified that we had received them and that they were incorrect. In fact, I don't think she believed me (why would I lie about that!) until I produced the flyer. I told her that Celebrity's communication seems mixed up, both on shore and now onboard, and that someone should probably get their act together. If the correct flyer was being distributed, perhaps they would be getting more onboard bookings.:rolleyes:

Finally, to answer the OP's question...what is/was being offered in October, may very well change for November. So don't count on what you read here, and don't rely on any flyers you may receive. Ask directly in the Future Cruise office.!

Were the 2 perks offered part of the Go Big promotion or they were just given with the lowest available rates?

Yesterday was the last day to get two perks plus the OBC credit based on cabin/cruise length. Now it is one perk plus same $ schedule for OBC. If you assume most people took a $300 OBC as their second perk then this is the amount you now have potentially "lost" by not booking in October.

Thank you all for sharing the info. I'll find out next week how it will work out for us. The particular cruise that I am looking at is priced really, really well for an inside cabin, so we may try that instead and forgo the choice of perks that come with oceanview and higher cabins. The difference right now would be $699 pp inside vs $1649pp veranda. This is for the 8 night western Mediterranean Silouette in September 2017. With such a port intensive itinerary, I think I'm going to save the $950pp and put it towards excursions. Seems like I'll still get a very small OBC and reduced deposit for booking onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a Jan 2018 cruise 10 night on the Reflection for January 2018 and we booked it here on board Silhouette two days ago. Our perks were both the drink package and a $300 OBC. The cost of booking this was $200 since it was Aqua and a 10 day cruise and we elected to have the additional $200 "On Board booking credit" applied to the Jan. 2018 cruise so we will have a total $500 to spend aboard on that cruise. (Basically you pay this $200 immediately and you can apply the $200 to the current cruise or the future date cruise: we chose the latter.)

If we booked this today while onboard the Silhouette that we are currently on our perks would be the drinks package and then the $200 "On board booking credit" so we would have a total of $200 rather than the $500 we got by booking prior to November 1 (today).

This is the difference that took place 11/1/16 but it only affects people on board the ship. I have no idea what/if the changes might be if not booking on board.

Because of the two types of future OBC's this can be confusing if you have not done it previously while on board.

We booked a Jan 2018 cruise 10 night on the Reflection for January 2018 and we booked it here on board Silhouette two days ago. Our perks were both the drink package and a $300 OBC. The cost of booking this was $200 since it was Aqua and a 10 day cruise and we elected to have the additional $200 "On Board booking credit" applied to the Jan. 2018 cruise so we will have a total $500 to spend aboard on that cruise. (Basically you pay this $200 immediately and you can apply the $200 to the current cruise or the future date cruise: we chose the latter.)

If we booked this today while onboard the Silhouette that we are currently on our perks would be the drinks package and then the $200 "On board booking credit" so we would have a total of $200 rather than the $500 we got by booking prior to November 1 (today).

This is the difference that took place 11/1/16 but it only affects people on board the ship. I have no idea what/if the changes might be if not booking on board.

Because of the two types of future OBC's this can be confusing if you have not done it previously while on board.

I am sailing on Dec 11 so hopefully they will change it back to the 2 perks & extra OBC by then. Can't wait for December.

If you are able, is there any way you can Post a picture of the current obc offer that is broken out by length/cabin while booking on board? I'm trying to do some math to decide which cruise I want to book when I board next week and must be looking at an old grid because I show 10 nights in aqua would get 300. I was looking at the same cruise in concierge class so now I'm thinking I need to update some numbers or wait and do my deciding on board after I see what is offered.

Sent from my D6616 using Forums mobile app

Yesterday was the last day to get two perks plus the OBC credit based on cabin/cruise length. Now it is one perk plus same $ schedule for OBC. If you assume most people took a $300 OBC as their second perk then this is the amount you now have potentially "lost" by not booking in October.

I am not sure who you are directing your post to. :confused: Could you explain a little clearer? Where did you get the information on the onboard booking perks? Are you on a ship, currently? :)

If you are able, is there any way you can Post a picture of the current obc offer that is broken out by length/cabin while booking on board? I'm trying to do some math to decide which cruise I want to book when I board next week and must be looking at an old grid because I show 10 nights in aqua would get 300. I was looking at the same cruise in concierge class so now I'm thinking I need to update some numbers or wait and do my deciding on board after I see what is offered.

Sent from my D6616 using Forums mobile app

Here it is I hope.

I am not sure why the quality is so poor. Aqua for 10 days is $200. This was for the two perks that expired at the end of October.

image.jpg.cae6048872bef2e73738f5764fec4ba9.jpg

Edited by jagoffee