Well, I think SHARE is Great

XBGuy

My poached lobster in Share was the size of one of the broiled lobsters I enjoyed in Crown Grill. It was the first time in Crown grill that I received a "group" of lobster tails, but I have not cruised Ruby before. Mark what did you think of the lobster when you tried it in Share?

Edited by land lover

Actually I found the link you posted, far more appetizing than what we received on Ruby...except for dessert. No to the beets...On my lobster entree were 2 pieces of Endive my taste buds enjoyed their favor more than the poached lobster.

In Contrast I'll post some photos from Salty Dog and Crown Grill same sailing.

Wow! You ate out, didn't you? :) I was curious about the beets because I wondered what it would look like from another angle, that's all.

Wow! You ate out, didn't you? :) I was curious about the beets because I wondered what it would look like from another angle, that's all.

No one at our table tried the beets, but I think we covered all the other dishes and desserts. Surprisingly enough our table mates favorite was

the leeks...my DH and I had no favorites. Since we had enjoyed Salty Dog with the same CC couple and they were foodies! Both of us came to the conclusion that Salty Dog tantalized our taste buds the most.

On our first visit to SHARE on Saturday, my wife ordered the Cavatelli with the beets. (I hate beets, I would never order anything with beets.) When the server brought our appetizer dishes to our table, she took a spoon or fork and, basically chopped up the different components of her cavatelli dish. As a result it looked like her dish was a pasta with some sort of red sauce--think creamed tomato sauce. I think I reported that I did taste her cavatelli that night and was pleased that it did not taste like beets.

Fast forward to our third visit on Friday. I ordered the Cavatelli as my appetizer dish. Interestingly enough, the server (different from our first visit) did not "chop" it up. So I did it myself. I was not going to take a chance of getting a fork full of disgusting beet. It was as good that time. :)

LL, it's a heck of a lot easier to take pictures in the Crown Grill than in SHARE.

We'd planned to try the Salty Dog on Thursday when we made our port stop in San Diego. Well, in San Diego we met my brother and his wife for a very nice lunch at the Fish Market. So, neither of us was hungry enough for dinner, that evening. I have heard some outstanding reports about the Salty Dog and do look forward to trying it, someday.

and the beet goes on...............................;)

As I mentioned B4 I am not a Foodie. But , I have no problem with "hiding ingredients":o.AS I mentioned I though the chicken liver parfait appealed to my taste buds. I go for flavor not the contents.

But, MR. Stone, don't mess with one of my favorite food the versatile potato.

I love potatoes any way they r fixed, however from my experience Peruvians really r the experts in preparation.

So of course when I see potato gratin for a side at SHARE it is a must. My DH is a rice man and loves mushrooms.

The potato presentation brought to our table was beautiful, I immediately dug in......:eek: what is that burned flavor...it was the truffle???? really, DH tries he agrees, table mates do not like the flavor either. Just sayin'

Mark.....did you make mention of the potato side, I think you might of, but how about being a little more descriptive of the your flavor experience.

BTW will drop u an email....

Edited by land lover

and the beet goes on...............................;)

As I mentioned B4 I am not a Foodie. But , I have no problem with "hiding ingredients":o.AS I mentioned I though the chicken liver parfait appealed to my taste buds. I go for flavor not the contents.

But, MR. Stone, don't mess with one of my favorite food the versatile potato.

I love potatoes any way they r fixed, however from my experience Peruvians really r the experts in preparation.

So of course when I see potato gratin for a side at SHARE it is a must. My DH is a rice man and loves mushrooms.

The potato presentation brought to our table was beautiful, I immediately dug in......:eek: what is that burned flavor...it was the truffle???? really, DH tries he agrees, table mates do not like the flavor either. Just sayin'

Mark.....did you make mention of the potato side, I think you might of, but how about being a little more descriptive of the your flavor experience.

BTW will drop u an email....

Lori, I think I did, in fact, report report that we ordered the pototo gratin on all three visits.

Here is a confession. My senses of smell and taste are both pretty poor. Mrs. XBGuy, on the other hand, has superb senses of smell and taste. She detected what she described as a "rancidity" in the potatoes. She is pretty sure that it was the truffles. In fact, I can't think of a time when she has tasted anything with a truffle component that she has raved about. Trader Joe's has an Italian cheese with truffles that I just love. She won't eat it.

(You realize, of course, that Mrs. XBGuy does have that female chocolate gene. So, chocolate truffles are not on her "don't care for" list. On the contrary. . . . ;))

I, on the other hand, did not taste anything untoward in the potato gratin. To me it was just well-prepared creamy, cheesy potatoes. I thought the potato gratin tied with the braised kale as the best side dish. The melted leeks dish was a distant third.

I'll keep an out out for you in my gmail in-box.

We were very excited about trying SHARE on Emerald in January.

Unfortunately, the food did not taste as good as described.

Ours was served on the cool side of lukewarm. When brought to the attention of our waiter, we were told it was served at the temperature at which the chef wanted it to be served. :rolleyes:

The atmosphere was so hard -- like eating in an almost empty public library -- wood tables & chairs and BRIGHT lights.

We have no desire to go back to SHARE even if free. :(

Amen! When we looked inside the Share's I was very concerned! I have never been one to sit in a chair that looks uncomfortable! (I have a troublesome back.)

As for the "served like the chef wants" :eek: well they can take it back to the kitchen and feed it too the hogs! We are the customers and that should be the driving force!

Does this look comfortable? Classy, YES! Comfortable, NO!

th?id=OIP.M1e5712910fec61a15d177537ad5f4bbeo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=247&h=165

Not to me! I would much prefer Sabatini's where they are extremely concerned if the food is prepared to your satisfaction and the comfort & service is superb! We have never been anything but completely satisfied with the Food, Service and Atmosphere at Sabatini's!

th?id=OIP.M9f31b9cbda6489a18ebb7965979c28eeo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=207&h=163

We are so glad that they have limited Share's to only two ships, however, we wish one of them wasn't the Emerald Princess!

Just Mike

Amen! When we looked inside the Share's I was very concerned! I have never been one to sit in a chair that looks uncomfortable! (I have a troublesome back.)

As for the "served like the chef wants" :eek: well they can take it back to the kitchen and feed it too the hogs! We are the customers and that should be the driving force!

Not to me! I would much prefer Sabatini's where they are extremely concerned if the food is prepared to your satisfaction and the comfort & service is superb! We have never been anything but completely satisfied with the Food, Service and Atmosphere at Sabatini's!

We are so glad that they have limited Share's to only two ships, however, we wish one of them wasn't the Emerald Princess!

Just Mike

I agree! I prefer Sabatiini's.

The chairs at Share are not what you or I would want.

Thanks especially for the Sabatini's picture.

Just Mike

I agree! I prefer Sabatiini's.

The chairs at Share are not what you or I would want.

Thanks especially for the Sabatini's picture.

Don't know what ship this photo of Share was taken on ...but on Ruby, Oct. 21st we sat in a booth with throw pillows one could use for adjustment and it was very comfortable.....I am not saying there was not a section that might have had this set up, but I certainly did not see it and I thought I scanned the restaurant pretty well.

Edited by land lover

Don't know what ship this photo of Share was taken on ...but on Ruby, Oct. 21st we sat in a booth with throw pillows one could use for adjustment and it was very comfortable.....I am not saying there was not a section that might have had this set up, but I certainly did not see it and I thought I scanned the restaurant pretty well.

I think that's a promotional picture published by Princess.

I sat in uncomfortable wooden chairs at Share on the Ruby. My back did not forget.

Did I mention that I liked the gratin at the buffet better than the gratin at Share? Oh! Yes! I had seconds:)

:D:D like your sense of humor....but if you were sitting in a wooden Share why didn't you move..

Any gratin potato would be better than what Share served.:rolleyes::DMHO.

Here is my lobster story. Hope it will make you smile. I shocked the waiter in Share when I told him I preferred the dining room broiled lobster on this cruise to both the lobster I had in Crown Grill(broiled) and Share(poached) Since I only ate one bite of the tiny tail in Share, I think that would have given him a hint. It shocked me 2. But that tail in the MDR was the best tail I have had on a cruise ship in years.

And even better than Sabatini's...which i just had a few months ago.

L:)ri

Sorry about the pictures being stock photos. I didn't take a picture of Share's however, here is one from Sabatini's on our 50th Anniversary back in 2012!

Note: In the picture is our all time favorite Maitre’ D Luegi. :) By the way, does anyone know if he is still with Princess?? He wasn't on the Star this last May???

Just Mike

586182492_85LastFormalNightontheStar@SabatiniswiththeMaitreDLuegi!.jpg.a59719d7e2edfdc6cc6fa30b1538f3f8.jpg

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

LandLover, I think back there, someplace you asked if I tried the lobster.

On our second visit Mrs. XBGuy ordered the lobster and I ordered the turbot. (So, it was a white wine night.) I did not taste the lobster, but Mrs. XBGuy cleaned her plate. So, it is safe to say that she enjoyed it. If she does not care for something, she will leave it on the plate.

Since the endive foam caused a big ruckas here on Cruise Critic, I had to see what that was all about. I guess foams were "bleeding edge" culinary creations a few years ago, but that was another fad that I missed. Anyway, I stuck my fork into her plate and tried it. I was able to detect the slightest suggestion of endive flavor, but, as you might imagine, it was mostly air.

• 3 months later...

Assuming you are right, that Share is great, why do you suppose it was not added to the new Majestic Princess? And that it was not added to the Royal Princess during dry dock? And that it was not added to the Grand Princess, during her recent dry dock? Not to mention missing Share on the Coral Princess:)

What a quagmire to ponder:)

Assuming you are right' date=' that Share is great, why do you suppose it was not added to the new Majestic Princess? And that it was not added to the Royal Princess during dry dock? And that it was not added to the Grand Princess, during her recent dry dock? Not to mention missing Share on the Coral Princess:)

What a quagmire to ponder:)[/quote']

It could still be great but just not appeal to the average Princess Cruiser. Doesn't make it less great

Assuming you are right' date=' that Share is great, why do you suppose it was not added to the new Majestic Princess? And that it was not added to the Royal Princess during dry dock? And that it was not added to the Grand Princess, during her recent dry dock? Not to mention missing Share on the Coral Princess:)

What a quagmire to ponder:)[/quote']

I can't wait till they announce the SHARE replacement. It shouldn't be to long now.

You guys resurrected my thread from 3+ months ago to ask these penetrating questions?

I do like Cruise Junky's response:

It could still be great but just not appeal to the average Princess Cruiser. Doesn't make it less great

But, of course, I also feel the need to expand.

Like it or lump it, Princess must do things to expand their customer base--their dying away.

I think it's great that the offer multiple dining options. It lets me choose where I am going to dine.

I agree that my characterization that SHARE is great is purely personal. Don't you appreciate the fact that I am willing to pay the fare for the cruise AND pay the upcharge for this restaurant? Every dollar that I spend at SHARE is good revenue for Princess. That means, they can actually charge other travelers less for their fare. OK, I agree that the reduction is pretty small, but the logic works.

I tried to be diplomatic but I guess I was too subtle. Why, I must ask, do you feel that SHARE is any kind of threat? There are multiple dining options available. Why can't you just go to them and avoid SHARE? I'll give another example. I do not understand the appeal of the Pub Lunch. However, it is amazingly popular. If people enjoy it, maybe they have a better appreciation than I have. I think it is great that they have the option of enjoying it. I'll just go my way.

Why is it that my enjoyment of SHARE causes so much grief for others?

"Well, now we can't go to Sabbatini's."

And I get that--to an extent. I enjoy Sabbatini's very much. On ships with Sabbatini's we will dine there 2 or 3 times per cruise. Also, however, I've read enough cruise critic posts to know that there is a fairly large population out there that does not like Sabbatini's, either. I've read comments about "I don't like pasta" or "They have too much seafood." At least people who don't care for Sabbatini's are not shouting, "Die, Sabbatini's."

Here is something else, though, to consider. In this thread I mentioned that I was able to chat quite a bit with the staff. I know this will be characterized as "hearsay evidence," but, heck, this is an internet forum where there is a lot of blurring of the truth.

I was told that Curtis Stone has a five-year contract with Princess. You know that Princess wants this to work. They can't just say, "Nice try, Curtis, but it's not working out. Here is a pile of money for the balance of your contract. Now, go away."

Yes, every contract can be broken. I am also sure that there are performance clauses in the contract. However, if the performance levels are not attained, remedies will be attempted before the contact is terminated. My guess is that the new menu implemented in the fall was such a remedy.

We'll see what happens.

My wife and I are booked on the Emerald in 2018. If there is a SHARE on the Emerald at that time, we will enjoy it. If they change that room to something else, we'll try it (well, if it is English Pub Food, maybe not). Regardless, we'll have a great cruise.

Edited by XBGuy

We will be on the Ruby in a few days. When I found out about SHARE I was very excited. I'm a big foodie. I watch Top Chef Masters. I love Curtis Stone. I'm hoping it will deliver. I find the food on cruise ships very mediocre. They generally cater to a mid-American (as in mid west) and/or British palate. And it is mass produced for thoudands. For example, I find the food aboard Cunard some of the worst, even in Queen's Grill and their specialty venues. I'm glad Princess is having something different than Steak and Pasta. All that said, I look forward to trying this restaurant so I can join the discussion with my own critique.