Hong Kong disembarkation from QM2, shuttles to hotels in Kowloon?

NSWP

G'day, we have been into HK a couple of times by air but not by ship. My question is: Any of you who have done Cunard to HK, does the ship run disembarkation transfers from Kai Tak cruise terminal to Kowloon, re hotel? If so, is that organised on board, or do you do it precruise? I know tour operators like Viator/Tour East do transfers, Kai Tak cruise terminal to Kowloon hotels.

Thanks.

Cunard offer a coach if you book a hotel through them as part of a package before/after the cruise. I do not know if you can purchase a coach transfer on board as we weren't looking to do that.

We booked our hotel separately so didn't use the Cunard option. It was the Shangri La, Kowloon, which was one of the hotels offered by Cunard, but they charged more for a standard room than we paid for a suite.

There were plenty of taxis available when we disembarked and it was only a short journey and reasonably priced. They fitted our 4 large suitcases in the boot (sticking out and tied in with a bungee) and we had the cabin luggage in the taxi with us. It was all very easy.

It was bedlam when we disembarked but much of that problem I think was that the terminal had only just opened and I think QM2 was the largest ship they had handled. It was also raining. There was much confusion when it came to lining up for taxis with staff giving conflicting information so it took much longer than it should have by the time I discovered I was in the wrong queue and then that the queue actually wasn't a queue :mad:

However I finally got to the head of the line and into a taxi (perhaps an hour to 90 minutes). There was a well organised alternative transport to various shopping malls and then into a taxi there but by the time I found out about this I was well advanced in the real queue so didn't bother. Pushka though did use this method and she may post of her how well it worked.

From memory I don't think you could book a transfer on board (except to airport) though I didn't look into this.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Echoing Aussie Flyers experience. It was dreadful. And made worse by the taxi queue trailing across the exit to the actual terminal. Cunard crew were pushing at us to get out of the terminal while terminal staff were closing the doors to move the taxi queue. So we were squashed. I did the alternate that she mentioned - grabbed a bus to the shopping centre - (the bus drivers were touting people to do this for a small fee as they took our luggage :p) then catch a taxi from there. Aussieflyer was allowed to disembark much earlier than me (maybe an hour) but we arrived at the hotel pretty much the same time in doing this. It was an awful end to a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks for all the replies. We are staying at Novotel in Nathan Rd for 3 nights, post QM2.

Hopefully things have improved re ground transportation at the new Cruise Terminal. I reckon it will be a taxi for us or I will book a transfer shuttle bus with Viator/Tour East, done airport transfers with them before. No rush anyway.

Thanks again.

The terminal at the old airport is a disaster, worse than Darling Harbour. You have to walk for miles and miles. Very few taxis in the morning. Poor links to the train at distant shopping centres. Very poor shopping area on roof of the terminal. Poor sinage.

We were there last year on the PACIFIC PRINCESS. I note it is berthing at the Ocean Terminal this year right in the middle of town.

We are on the Queen Mary next year but going on to Shanghai.

Looking forward to meting you.

Richard West

We found there were plenty of taxis just outside the doors as you came down the escalators; the problem was that Cunard staff were telling us one thing and port staff another. There was a long wait for taxis but the the main issues were that over half the ship were disembarking and many wanted a taxi, the terminal was very new and it was a rainy day. There were plenty of shuttle buses to shopping malls as Pushka said. I would have said it was better than the tent set up at Darling Harbour but I only did that once.

The terminal at the old airport is a disaster, worse than Darling Harbour. You have to walk for miles and miles. Very few taxis in the morning. Poor links to the train at distant shopping centres. Very poor shopping area on roof of the terminal. Poor sinage.

We were there last year on the PACIFIC PRINCESS. I note it is berthing at the Ocean Terminal this year right in the middle of town.

We are on the Queen Mary next year but going on to Shanghai.

Looking forward to meting you.

Richard West

G'day Richard... are you saying QM2 next March is berthing at the Ocean Terminal or Kai Tak (old airport?) We were in HK last year, stop over from UK/OZ and stayed at Salisbury Hotel, on Kowloon waterfront, we saw a small cruise ship berthed just up from Star Ferries, but surely that berth would be too small for QM2?

Edited by NSWP

What is the latest time you can disembark from memory at Kai Tak. We have a hotel room near the airport, but are in no hurry....

Thanks

I think 10? There are chairs in the luggage collection area which is before you hit the massive congestion. And you can stay there for some time.