Lanai Cabins on Maasdam

baja mama

We have booked a OV cabin on the lower promenade deck for a 20 day cruise. I see they have Lanai cabins that have doors right out to the deck and you have your own lounges. This cabin is $1000 more total, my question is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

We have booked a OV cabin on the lower promenade deck for a 20 day cruise. I see they have Lanai cabins that have doors right out to the deck and you have your own lounges. This cabin is $1000 more total, my question is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

I loved the lanai I had on Veendam. If you decide to get one, just make sure it's not under the galley area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Umm? You did not say where you were cruising to?

We too loved our Lanai on the Veendam & would take one again in a heartbeat! We had it going to & from Bermuda out of NYC one year..

We would gladly pay $50 per day for our own lounge chairs if we were going to a warm climate but it depends on where your cruise is going?

If it's a cold climate area it would not be worth it to us..

We had an ocean view cabin on the promenade deck on the Veendam. Yes, there were noise problems. You will hear the deck chairs being moved to be put away late at night and hear them being placed around 5 AM the next morning. You will hear anyone talking outside your cabin on deck (especially if they decide to sit and chat outside your cabin) and some people are out there very early.

For a Panama Canal cruise, you will not want to be on the promenade deck while going through the locks as you will spend a lot of time staring at the concrete walls of the canal. You will need to be higher to have a view of the process.

I have a question which I will use this thread to ask. With the elimination of smoking on the balcony, the next best thing would be a room near the smoking section of the ship.

Is there a smoking area on the verandah deck? and if so are any of the Lanai cabins located near the smoking area?

Did you have any problems or noise with people walking the deck?

I didn't notice a noise problem and I'm a light sleeper. We had a lanai on a Canada New England cruise. There are people out walking the deck but most are courteous. We enjoyed people watching from our room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question which I will use this thread to ask. With the elimination of smoking on the balcony, the next best thing would be a room near the smoking section of the ship.

Is there a smoking area on the verandah deck? and if so are any of the Lanai cabins located near the smoking area?

No smoking at all on the promenade deck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a lanai room on the Veendam for the Mexican Riviera #365. I like being on the promenade deck and really enjoyed the view and the deck chair outside our sliding doors. You will not have a cooler and there is not much room to add one.

The lanai is an upgrade to the ocean views on the promenade. The ocean views on lower decks are larger but don't have the easy access to the promenade, the views, or the deck chairs.

Be sure to choose a lanai that is not under the kitchen (empty area on the deck plan). Our last cruise (Maasdam) we chose the lanai room we wanted and said we would accept an upgrade. We were upgraded to a verandah spa room. They had oversold the lanai guarantees so we got a free upgrade.

Google the Holland America stateroom pictures fact site for Veendam #365. The Maasdam and Veendam are very similar and there will be other stateroom info.

We had a lanai on the Maasdam on our Alaska cruise last June. It was wonderful. It was nice having lounge chairs right outside our doors. I'm a very light sleeper and I was not disturbed at all by any noise. I was also worried that it might be too bright to sleep at night but the curtains kept out much of the light.

I would get another one!!

Thanks so much. I called my TA today and upgraded to a Lanai cabin. I got the only wheelchair cabin because my husband has Parkinson and even though he is not in wheelchair now the cruise is not until April 2018 and I do not want to take any chances. Also the chair in the shower is a real plus.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Lynn

I think you'll be happy you upgraded. We had lanai cabins on Veendam and Masdam and loved the easy access to the promenade deck. we did have an issue with paint smell when they painted the railings of the deck on both cruises, but that can't happen on every cruise.

We had a wheelchair accessible lanai on Veendam last year and loved it. We had the steward change the beds to twins however as the side of the ramp out to the deck would be a trip hazard during the night. Noise from outside was never a problem. DH uses a scooter and there was plenty of room to park it next to the bathroom and still easily walk by it.

• 2 years later...
On 11/1/2016 at 5:37 AM, oaktreerb said:

We had a lanai room on the Veendam for the Mexican Riviera #365. I like being on the promenade deck and really enjoyed the view and the deck chair outside our sliding doors. You will not have a cooler and there is not much room to add one.

The lanai is an upgrade to the ocean views on the promenade. The ocean views on lower decks are larger but don't have the easy access to the promenade, the views, or the deck chairs.

Be sure to choose a lanai that is not under the kitchen (empty area on the deck plan). Our last cruise (Maasdam) we chose the lanai room we wanted and said we would accept an upgrade. We were upgraded to a verandah spa room. They had oversold the lanai guarantees so we got a free upgrade.

Google the Holland America stateroom pictures fact site for Veendam #365. The Maasdam and Veendam are very similar and there will be other stateroom info.

We have unfortunately got a lanai cabin underneath the galley on the Maasdam (CA370)!!!  We have paid in full - what would our chances be of changing it for another cabin?

Are you sure it’s under the galley and not the Hudson Room? If it is, it looks like it is under the Pastry Kitchen. 

Check out Maasdam’s sister ship’s plans:  http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Veendam-Kitchen-2013.pdf

To help you line it up, 390 is directly under the dishwasher station. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser

1 hour ago, Jacaluke said:

We have unfortunately got a lanai cabin underneath the galley on the Maasdam (CA370)!!!  We have paid in full - what would our chances be of changing it for another cabin?

Call HAL to ask for a different stateroom but have in mind what you would accept.  Or if you booked with a TA you will have to explain the situation to the TA and have them act on your behalf.    On the other hand if you said you would accept an upgrade you could be upgraded but more likely HAL would try to upsell you to a verandah.  What did you pay for the lanai?  maybe veranda cabin asking prices have gone down to a lanai rate?

It never hurts to ask.  

On 10/30/2016 at 5:56 PM, baja mama said:

Thanks

If you don't mind a small room (the ones I saw would be perfect for a single person, a bit tight for two),  the lanai cabins are a nice idea, with immediate access to the outdoor deck.  Assuming the $1000 is actually $500 per person,  that's $25 more per person, per day. If you'll use that sliding glass door every day to get outside, and sit in the lounge chairs,  only you know if it's worth the $50 more (for two people). Or,  would you rather spend that on something else ? 

We had a Lanai cabin on the Rotterdam.   The cabin is the same size as the OV cabins, but the bed is moved away from the window area and places like it would be in a Veranda cabin.   This reduces the space available due to the small couch, desk and sliding glass door.   There were 2 of us in the Lanai cabin for 14 days, and it was tight, but OK.  Our only issue was the early morning noise from the dish washing section of the MDR kitchen directly above.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:42 AM, oaktreerb said:

Call HAL to ask for a different stateroom but have in mind what you would accept.  Or if you booked with a TA you will have to explain the situation to the TA and have them act on your behalf.    On the other hand if you said you would accept an upgrade you could be upgraded but more likely HAL would try to upsell you to a verandah.  What did you pay for the lanai?  maybe veranda cabin asking prices have gone down to a lanai rate?

It never hurts to ask.  

We got the lanai cabin on a cheap rate - it was actually cheaper than the OV cabins at the time.