Uber from Port Canaveral?

beeker23

I have never used Uber transportation and wondered if anyone could tell me if they have had one pick them up at the cruise port (Port Canaveral). I see they are available. I have the app on my phone and am looking to try it when we get off the ship. Would love to hear about experiences with using this service and how it works! The last post I seen about uber was back in 2005 and am a new user here. Thank you everyone for your help!

Edited by beeker23
mis-spelled word

Welcome to Cruise critic!

Where do you want Uber to take you? We have sailed out of Port Canaveral many times. If we know where you want to go then we can help you with other ways to get there, alternatives to Uber. Sorry never even though of using Ube anywhere.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Bonnie, thank you.

have researched shuttles, rental cars, limo, taxi and all pretty pricey. the rental car option is considerably less but we really only need it for the hour drive to our resort at universal. ive heard good things about uber and see they go to the cruise port. I just can't see spending 100-200 on a shuttle! Seems pretty rediculous...thanks for reaching out!

Go to the Uber website from your computer. You can put in your start and end points and get a fare estimate (range) for the type of Uber that you want. Note that it has the usual disclaimers that this is always subject to the actual demand pricing at the time you request your ride and traffic conditions.

I suggest your computer because, although you could do this from your phone, is is far more complex. The phone app keeps trying to use your current location (which is great when you actually ARE calling for a ride) and it is a huge pain and more to get it to show hypothetical bookings for another location.

Depending on your numbers and luggage, you may want to go with UberXL or UberSUV.

Are more UBER drivers arrested than Taxi drivers? Or is it just more "sensational" news when it's an UBER driver?

Actually, far more Uber drivers are arrested per capita. One of the biggest issues in the uber/taxi wars is the perceived unfairness of the added hurdles for licensure to drive a taxi (including, in most major cities, a criminal background check). Also of significant concern is lesser standards for inspection of the uber vehicles.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Actually, far more Uber drivers are arrested per capita. One of the biggest issues in the uber/taxi wars is the perceived unfairness of the added hurdles for licensure to drive a taxi (including, in most major cities, a criminal background check). Also of significant concern is lesser standards for inspection of the uber vehicles.

I would be interested in where I can find this data concerning uber vs taxi drivers arrests. Can you share your source?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Please post your source

Like someone else mentioned, depending on how much luggage you have, you may want to book one of the premium Uber services. Just as an anecdotal example: had a guest book Uber for him, his wife, baby, 2 big (like 28" or bigger) hard-shell suitcases and a big stroller. Uber driver showed up in a Rogue...

Every single Uber I Have been in has been in great shape and typically only a couple yeas old and low mileage. I have been in three accidents while a passenger in a cab, two of the three were because the driver had bad brakes and couldn't stop or bald tires and blew one out at 40 mph, causing us to crash into several parked cars.

Yes, it is anecdotal, but I have taken as many uber rides as cab rides in the past five years, and I have found the Uber vehicles to be in 1000% better shape than the cabs.

I really wish Uber would expand their woman driver program to everywhere they operate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
Welcome to Cruise critic!

Where do you want Uber to take you? We have sailed out of Port Canaveral many times. If we know where you want to go then we can help you with other ways to get there, alternatives to Uber. Sorry never even though of using Ube anywhere.

Bonnie, as a native of the NC coast and frequent CCL cruiser, can you give some info as to delivery from hotel on CB to PC and then rtn from PC to hotel 5 miles away? Taxi, transportation costs seem a bit exorbitant...20 pp each way.

First, I'm not a native NC person, I am a transplanted Northern, left very rural NJ in 1992! Love it here on the coast.

We have stayed in what is now America's Best Value Inn on Cocoa-not Cocoa beach. We started when it was an Econo lodge but has been going downhill. They now charge $5 each way per person for their shuttle to and from the port.

We have met the same couple twice who live in Tampa. It cost them $30 to just park their car here and take the shuttle back & forth. They don't stay there, live too close but can just park there.

The Radisson is in Port Canaveral - you can see the ship from there. They have a BIG parking lot for cruisers and you must sign up for their shuttle. They got pricey so haven't been there in a while, don't know if they charge for their shuttle.

I know there are other hotels that have a free or low cost shuttles.

Ask here on CC for other hotels in the area with free or low cost shuttles!