Has Celebrity crossed off Turkey for good?

Florida_cruisers

Most likely they will return when they believe it is safe enough to do so and not rush back...

Which means, that you may want to sail Princess if your bucket list must be done by date certain...

bon voyage

I am waiting for the Summer 2018 itineraries and I am wondering if RCL and Celebrity will bring back two ports in Turkey: Istanbul and Kusadasi. These are both on my list. Princess still goes to these ports, so I don't see why would Celebrity would not.

Most likely they will return when they believe it is safe enough to do so and not rush back...

Yet Kusadasi will be visited November 12, 2016 on the current voyage of the Constellation.

By the way, Princess is not still going to these ports for sure. They are listed on itineraries for 2017 in the expectation that conditions for tourists' safety will have improved by then. However if the ports are still deemed to be unsafe, the itineraries will be altered before the cruises begin.

Yet Kusadasi will be visited November 12, 2016 on the current voyage of the Constellation.

By the way, Princess is not still going to these ports for sure. They are listed on itineraries for 2017 in the expectation that conditions for tourists' safety will have improved by then. However if the ports are still deemed to be unsafe, the itineraries will be altered before the cruises begin.

Well that's the case for any port, but at least Princess is planning for them.

Edited by Florida_cruisers

I am waiting for the Summer 2018 itineraries and I am wondering if RCL and Celebrity will bring back two ports in Turkey: Istanbul and Kusadasi. These are both on my list. Princess still goes to these ports, so I don't see why would Celebrity would not.

Within the past several days, the US State Department issued an order that all family members of its consulate staff in Istanbul leave Turkey... And at the same time, the State Department escalated the language in their long-standing travel advisory--now it's a warning--to Americans considering travel to Turkey...

The issue was widely covered in the press and on TV news... You'll find one related article here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/31/world/europe/united-states-consulate-istanbul-turkey-security.html?_r=0

I recently returned from a cruise on Celebrity Equinox--booked in November 2014; Turkey was on "my list" too and I considered it a highlight of the itinerary--that was supposed to originate in Istanbul [relocated to Athens two days after the attack at the Istanbul Airport in late June and before the coup attempt in early July] and visit Kusadasi [we did do that port call--I'd visited in 2009/was eager to return--as scheduled on 9 September]...

I was initially disappointed by the decision to drop Istanbul--right down to the last detail, I'd planned five pre-cruise touring days there and at Cappadocia--but I, as did the vast majority of my cruise mates, understood Celebrity's position... They were not going to place guests, crew, and/or the ship at risk...

I did not feel uncomfortable/threatened while touring Ephesus but did notice a very palpable difference relative to what I experienced six years earlier; it was no longer bustling... At the House Of The Virgin Mary, military guards--armed with machine guns--were highly visible [perhaps because of the religious association] this time... I didn't see the same military presence at Ancient Ephesus--which is not to say that it wasn't there--but I did note that tourism [as confirmed by my "old" and "new" photos and guide] was down by 75-80%... And the locals--tour guides, shopkeepers, restaurant employees--are now deeply and rightfully concerned for their livelihood as scheduled ship calls during 2017--which may/may not happen--are very few/far between as compared to the past and relative to anticipated tourist traffic [some of which didn't materialize] this year... It's very sad...

I'm sure that Celebrity--and other cruise lines--will return to Turkey if/when safety/security concerns subside, if/when more tourists are eager to visit again [cancellations on my trip were rampant long before the major events of this summer as there had been isolated terror incidents--sometimes with tourists among the injured/killed on a collateral basis--long before] and if/when it is economic to do so [my fare on that sailing progressively dropped by nearly 40% months before the events of this summer and our origination was relocated--at additional significant expense to Celebrity--to Athens]...

Perhaps Princess will go; perhaps not... They may be regarded as planful by some but, with the way things are now, I think that they may be misreading the political situation/market for 2018; their strategy could prove to be a financial boom or bust...

If you go--and I don't preclude that I'll reschedule if/when the time is right for me--enjoy!

We were just in Ephesus right before the consulate pull out etc happened - I'm sure the port visit would have been cancelled if it had happened earlier. We were so lucky to get to see it - stunningly amazing. We did not see a big military prescence - much higher even in Rome. Our tour guide shared some stories with me and based on what he told me the situation in Turkey is much worse that what we hear in the news. He also said that last year there was over 380 cruise ships in Kusadasi, next year 38.... (and that was before the most recent trouble)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In October on the Rhapsody of the Seas. We had a private tour, which was SUPER of the ruins and Mary's last home. I felt no danger from any where. The people/vendors of course were happy we were there. Our tour guide, who has vested interest in tourism, owns B&Bs etc. said that next year few if any cruise ships were coming to Kusadasi.

I would love to do Turkey. Interesting on a spring trip to South Africa, a member of our group, American, had just come to SA from Turkey where she had toured for a month. She did feel any real danger and was traveling. Near the Syrian boarder and could hear the artillery and fighting on the other side of the mountain. Sorry, I never ask her the name of her tour company.

We were speaking to a couple who were looking forward to Athens and Santorini as part of there tour and what they weren't expecting was just how beautiful turkey was. It was actually the highlight of their cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in Kusadasi on October 23, 2016. We did not feel unsafe at any time.

Ephesus was extraordinary and we were very thankful to view the ruins.

What we did notice was that the shops were starving for business.

We felt more of a security presence in Israel (again, we felt VERY safe).

It is a real shame that this wonderful country and their most hospitable people that rely on the tourism industry will be suffering for what seems to be at least 2-3 years (or when ships decide to return).

Heather

DSC_1592-M.jpg

The cruise lines are all caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, customers push the lines to release future schedules more then a year (sometimes 2 years) in advance. If a cruise line schedules ports like Istanbul, they run the risk of later having to cancel the port and disappoint customers (this happened to us in April on the Prinsendam). If they do not schedule a port they also disappoint loyal cruisers.

When it comes to Turkey, DW and I really enjoy the country (have been there many times on sea and land) and have been always treated well by the Turks. What has happened to that country under Erdogan is quite sad and we suspect that Attaturk is truly crying in his grave. Women voters in our country might find it fascinating that woman voters in Turkey apparently have voted to take away many of their own rights. Go figure.

Hank

Hoping and wishing.

I doubt that anyone on this forum can tell you if Celebrity will resume the port at Istanbul. Only celebrity can tell you that. Everything else is a guess.

We loved out Sept stop in Bodrum Turkey and in Kusadasi. I understand the original itinerary had Istanbul as an over night stop ( replaced by Athens before I booked)

I absolutely loved Bodrum...fantastic place and lovely people.