Money for Vietnam /Dong not available in Uk advice please Bonnie.

welshfamily

The Dong is not available for purchase in the Uk.

Does anyone know if Azamara have the Dong onboard.

We are looking at doing excursions with Azamara but will obviously need money for extras.

Bonnie. I have added your name to the post as ours is the first cruise this year which visits Vietnam and things can change from year to year.

Thank you.

We are looking at doing excursions with Azamara but will obviously need money for extras.

Bonnie. I have added your name to the post as ours is the first cruise this year which visits Vietnam and things can change from year to year.

Thank you.

I bought Vietnamese Dong last year from my high street bank and have just checked and they still sell them so don't panic, try your bank. I hope you enjoy Vietnam as much as we did.

USD work in Vietnam most vendors accept them We are travelling HK to Sing this December managed to order Dong Via our bank

QUOTE=welshfamily;51471969]The Dong is not available for purchase in the Uk.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Can be bought online from the Post Office as well as several other reputable Travel Exchanges. As someone already mentioned all high street banks can also supply (they may not have in stock in the branch but most will order in no problem).

Thank you all.

I have been to my bank....Nat West .....they said Vietnam no longer allows the Dong to be supplied externally.

I have been to our main post office who looked in their currency book and read out the page to me confirming that they can't supply the Dong.

After reading your posts I went online the Dong is not in the list of currency which can be bought on line with the Post office.

I have googled travel money and the comparison site does not list Vietnam as a

choice.

Trip advisor states that the Dong is non convertible. The article goes on to say Sterling, the Euro and the Dollar must be clean and undamaged and advises travellers to be very carefully when exchanging money. It goes on to state it is illegal to list prices and ask for payment in any currency which is not the Dong.

The Dollar is accepted by major shops and restaurants but the vendor sets the rate and change is given in the Dong.It warns travellers to only accept change in clean, crisp undamaged notes.

However a search on this site gives a review saying they got some from Guest services hence my original post.

Once again Thanks to all who answered. My question is now tigger tom please will you be kind enough to tell me which bank you checked with.

I will buy some Dollars as well.

Getting really excited as only 3 weeks to go.

Thank you

Thank you all.

I have been to my bank....Nat West .....they said Vietnam no longer allows the Dong to be supplied externally.

I have been to our main post office who looked in their currency book and read out the page to me confirming that they can't supply the Dong.

After reading your posts I went online the Dong is not in the list of currency which can be bought on line with the Post office.

choice.

Trip advisor states that the Dong is non convertible. The article goes on to say Sterling, the Euro and the Dollar must be clean and undamaged and advises travellers to be very carefully when exchanging money. It goes on to state it is illegal to list prices and ask for payment in any currency which is not the Dong.

The Dollar is accepted by major shops and restaurants but the vendor sets the rate and change is given in the Dong.It warns travellers to only accept change in clean, crisp undamaged notes.

However a search on this site gives a review saying they got some from Guest services hence my original post.

Once again Thanks to all who answered. My question is now tigger tom please will you be kind enough to tell me which bank you checked with.

Thank you

Thank you welshfamily for the info. We too are doing same trip in January 2017 and was not sure regarding the dong. We do have dollars that we will also take and I'll see what response you get regarding guest relations, I hope you have a great time.Triona

Thank you all.

choice.

Thank you

HSBC https://www.tmo.hsbc.co.uk/hsbc/JSMain.asp

Good luck and have a great trip

There are plenty of cash machines in Vietnam.

I have long since stopped buying currency before getting to a foreign country. At the first port (or airport if I'm flying) I just go to the nearest ATM. Never had any problems and much cheaper than obtaining before I leave home.

I have long since stopped buying currency before getting to a foreign country. At the first port (or airport if I'm flying) I just go to the nearest ATM. Never had any problems and much cheaper than obtaining before I leave home.

Ditto. We have a segregated bank account for vacations, with no fee ATM usage, and with the good exchange rates - makes the most sense for us. Business and leisure travel, this is our SOP.

Thank you all.

choice.

Thank you

I purchased my Dong from Marks and Spencers yesterday, so they are definitely available in the UK. I also bought them from Marks and Sparks last time I went to Vietnam (3 years ago) so it's not a new thing.

Yes, M&S have Vietnamese Dongs, according to their website today. We bought them from M&S last October. However, I agree with some of the answers here, i.e. that USD may be ok for you. We've just returned from the Arabian cruise and took 4 local currencies. We managed to spend one lot, but have 3 to take back to M&S, and so will lose out on conversion back to GBP. I wish I'd taken the advice of others to stick with USD!

Thank you

Yes Marks and Spencer's have them.

A friend of a friend teaches in a international school in Vietnam so I have emailed him today with the question which is best Dong or Dollar.

I will post the moment I hear back.

For all those yet to cruise this year I will do a review of the cruise. Hopefully the wifi will be good enough to post but if not if anyone has any questions Please post and I will endeavour to answer them.

3 weeks tomorrow and we will be on our way to Singapore.

Thank you

Yes Marks and Spencer's have them.

A friend of a friend teaches in a international school in Vietnam so I have emailed him today with the question which is best Dong or Dollar.

I will post the moment I hear back.

For all those yet to cruise this year I will do a review of the cruise. Hopefully the wifi will be good enough to post but if not if anyone has any questions Please post and I will endeavour to answer them.

3 weeks tomorrow and we will be on our way to Singapore.

A lot wil depend on where you go and what you do. We went to Vietnam three years ago and generally they wanted Dong, some of the larger places would take dollars but I've no idea of what the exchange rate would have been. In Saigon (HCMC) you may find they take dollars more readily than in Hanoi where we were. In any case we're going back to Vietnam (Saigon and Hoi An) after our Azamara cruise later this month and are taking Dong to be certain.

A lot wil depend on where you go and what you do. We went to Vietnam three years ago and generally they wanted Dong, some of the larger places would take dollars but I've no idea of what the exchange rate would have been. In Saigon (HCMC) you may find they take dollars more readily than in Hanoi where we were. In any case we're going back to Vietnam (Saigon and Hoi An) after our Azamara cruise later this month and are taking Dong to be certain.

We changed to dong in the main post Office in Saigon some years back with no problem at all. I think it was an atm.

Sent fra min GT-I9305 via Tapatalk