Solution to hard mattress: back packers air mattress

We were on the Liberty last week and the mattress was rock hard. We asked but got no topper. My body was pretty sore by the end of the week. Makes me unhappy that I need to spend money and lug an air mattress on board my next cruise just to rest comfortably at night.

So 2 XL mattresses will cover the beds pushed together? And are you asking the stewards to make them up or do you do it? Are they hard to blow up. We are flying next time and no way am I bringing a pump too.

As were we leaving our stateroom most of the cabin doors were open and beds stripped. We saw toppers on at least half of the beds. So it seems to be just luck as who gets them. Some rooms were balconys and some insides. The suites appeared to have pillow tops.

Edited by cruiselvr04

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for something. When we were on the Anthem, absolutely the worst mattress I have ever been on. It was like sleeping on a piece of plywood.

It is a shame that people have to resort to these measures.

On another note has anyone been successful complaining to Royal when onboard. When I mean successful, was anything done?

I'm just off FOS today. I had a solid core foam mattress with a 2" foam topper on top. Very, very comfortable sleep. I was in room 63XX, a PR. Loved my room....

I had one of these on Oasis about a year ago and loved it so much wanted to buy a version at home. I took the bed apart a bit to gather any details and it was definately all foam and didn't look expensive to make. My back did BETTER on this mattress than at home.

No one could tell me who made it, pointed to the RCCL website bedding to buy that was not the same type, had coils and such.

There may still be "old" mattresses around constructed like this. Would love if they went back to them. Sound dramatically different than current new mattress reviews.

I guess I'm one of those people who has no issues with the beds. I read this all the time but always sleep well on a cruise.

Well you will. Because we have always slept very, very well on cruises. Until the one day and cruise that you don't.

I didn't believe it either until we experienced one of the new cement mattresses.

Edited by Coralc

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for something. When we were on the Anthem, absolutely the worst mattress I have ever been on. It was like sleeping on a piece of plywood.

It is a shame that people have to resort to these measures.

On another note has anyone been successful complaining to Royal when onboard. When I mean successful, was anything done?

The thing is for every complaint that the mattress is too hard will come an complaint that the mattress is too soft.

I have always gotten a mattress topper when I asked for one - but decided to buy this since it only weighs a pound and will be super easy to take with me.

The thing is for every complaint that the mattress is too hard will come an complaint that the mattress is too soft.

I'm not sure I've seen a lot of "too soft" complaints. Mainly posts are equating the softer mattresses to being better for them or being fine with the firmer mattresses. I have issues with either too hard or too soft beds.

I ordered the inflatable. It's much easier to pack and not use than the foam twin topper I brought last time but did not need. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

It's pretty appalling that people are resorting to buying blow up mattresses for what's is advertised as a luxury vacation experience.

I hope all of you buying these have voiced your concerns in writing to Royal Caribbean.

Have never not had a comfortable mattress - is it that there is one postings then everyone gets on the "band wagon" - same as bringing your own pillow?

Have never not had a comfortable mattress - is it that there is one postings then everyone gets on the "band wagon" - same as bringing your own pillow?

I don't think it's a bandwagon issue. Seems to have stemmed from RC replacing some mattresses which are very firm. Some people like them, some not so much. A friend who sailed on Liberty in October was sleeping on the couch by the end of the cruise. My husband and I don't sleep well on firm mattresses so we will be bringing the inflatable ones.

Thanks OP for the tip. I just bought the XL on Amazon. It's 30" wide and will be perfect. I was on the Legend for a 15 day Panama Canal in 2015 and I dreaded having to go to bed each night. Worst bed I've ever slept in and I like a hard mattress. There were no toppers available, even though I pre-ordered one from special needs. The cabin steward put a duvet on the mattress for me but it wasn't any help.

I haven't heard anything about the mattresses on the Harmony, but I'm going to be prepared!