Solution to hard mattress: back packers air mattress

Hi -- I read an earlier thread that said an air mattress made specifically for back packers was the answer to the rock-hard mattress issue on Royal ships. We just returned from a b2b on the Brilliance, for a total of 26 nights. We slept better than on any other ship, ever. This includes 30 cruises on various cruise lines. I bought the Klymit Static V air mattress. It weighs 18.1 oz and is 8 inches by 5 inches and inflates to 72 x 23 2.5 inches when inflated. It was very easy to blow up and did not leak air at all. It comes with it's own little pouch.

We bought ours from Academy Sports and Outdoors for about $60. A little expensive, but for the heavenly sleep, well worth it.

Margee

•  

Did you order the same one as the OP?

Yes. The price varied by color. I went with the green since it was cheapest. There were about 4 other colors to choose from including a camo and a pink camo. I think those were about $10 more.

Both of us struggled with the mattresses our last couple of cruises. The only one we really loved was on Freedom five years ago.

So, it's only 23 inches wide, right? Times 2 is 46 inches. The bed is 72 inches wide. That leaves 26 inches. So, you have some of the bed covered, but not all of it?

I'm just trying to figure out how that would be more comfortable, have only part of the bed.

Not discounting your results, just trying to figure out how I would like it that way.

I slept on one of those pads before and found it to be far too small. That's why I'm wondering. Granted, that was camping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Edited by shellunderwater

Thanks so much for this information! I have been looking for a solution to these hard mattresses for a long time. We just spent 45 days on the Ovation of the Seas earlier this year and the mattresses while being brand new were hard as rocks! :mad: I had a gift card and was able to score one of these from Amazon just now for a net cost, after gift card applied, of $20.00. :D can't wait to get it and try it out on my next cruise. Thanks again for the tip.

So, it's only 23 inches wide, right? Times 2 is 46 inches. The bed is 72 inches wide. That leaves 26 inches. So, you have some of the bed covered, but not all of it?

I'm just trying to figure out how that would be more comfortable, have only part of the bed.

Not discounting your results, just trying to figure out how I would like it that way.

I slept on one of those pads before and found it to be far too small. That's why I'm wondering. Granted, that was camping.

You can purchase an XL version of the same mattress (grey color). I think it's 8-10 inches wider. I got it for my upcoming cruise on FOS. Cheap insurance for a restful sleep...

I asked our cabin steward to put these on the bed under the sheet. No problem. We are large people and the width was fine. We aren't restless sleepers, really. We did not find the gap in the middle a problem at all.

These do make a "krinkly" sound, but we got used to it right away.

Margee

Edited by margeecruiser

Just returned from Serenade with that exact air mattress. Excellent! Blew it up and put under mattress pad. Put 2 flat pillows right next to it and slept great.

Not sure if all beds have a mattress pad. Emailed weeks before the cruise and was assured that an egg crate would be there. Haha... just two of the flattest mattress pads I've ever seen. Glad I took the air mattress!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is an XL version for a bit more money . I picked up the one The OP mentioned but when I got it home and blew it up I decided it wasn't quite wide enough for me. I tend to flop around a bit plus I'm not the tiniest of people and I sleep alone. I'm going to get the XL before my next cruise and put it right in the middle of the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is so sad that people are forced to bring camping gear comforts on an expensive cruise vacation. :rolleyes: I totally understand, our mattress on Liberty was like a board, and there was already a mattress pad on it. Which did not much of anything.

It is just really ridiculous.

Hi -- I read an earlier thread that said an air mattress made specifically for back packers was the answer to the rock-hard mattress issue on Royal ships. We just returned from a b2b on the Brilliance, for a total of 26 nights. We slept better than on any other ship, ever. This includes 30 cruises on various cruise lines. I bought the Klymit Static V air mattress. It weighs 18.1 oz and is 8 inches by 5 inches and inflates to 72 x 23 2.5 inches when inflated. It was very easy to blow up and did not leak air at all. It comes with it's own little pouch.

We bought ours from Academy Sports and Outdoors for about $60. A little expensive, but for the heavenly sleep, well worth it.

Margee

I am so glad that this worked for you! I am the one who originally posted (in a separate thread) about these air mattresses. I used mine for the first time in July on Adventure. I will be on Adventure again in January and plan on taking 2 this time. DH was miserable after a week on the hard-as-a-rock mattress even though he prefers a firm bed.

A good night's sleep is so important. I am so happy that others have benefited from my idea!

Thanks for the great information! While I love cruising and always ask, and receive, a mattress topper - I still come home with sore hips due to the hard mattress. I know it is a challenge to cater to all the various tastes so this is a great option for me! Would I love the mattress on the cruise to be to my liking - YES. But with this at least I know I will get a good night sleeps.

Thanks!

It's pretty appalling that people are resorting to buying blow up mattresses for what's is advertised as a luxury vacation experience.

I hope all of you buying these have voiced your concerns in writing to Royal Caribbean.

This topic has come up in other threads. I decided to query a few roll calls for ships we will be sailing on. Most people said they had no problem with their mattress, but a couple said they did hear a couple people on their cruise complaining.

The problem is that it comes down to personal preference and they will never make 100% of their passengers happy. We found the mattresses on our last two cruises to be much firmer than we are accustomed to, and suffered for it. I'm willing to give this a try, and if it works, carry it with me whenever I travel. I have the same problem in hotels, and I typically stay in nice hotels when I travel for business.

I don't think complaining would help, because I'm fairly certain for every person who complains, there is another who is relieved to have a firm bed....

Curious, like most air mattresses, do these not have a rubbery texture and that annoying squeak when turning..?

No, they don't squeak. It is a fabric-coated plastic. I put mine under the mattress pad. It really did not make any noise other than a slight crinkling occasionally. It made a world of difference for my comfort and sleep quality.