At the risk of sounding like a maths problem....

Meamat

We are on Carnival Spirit departing Saturday evening Nov 5 bound for Noumea. Some friends of ours are on Voyager of the seas departing Noumea Saturday evening Nov 5 bound for Sydney. We are each due to arrive in the respective ports on the morning of the 8th, so I'd assume our travel speed is pretty similar.

I'd assume since we're traveling between the same two ports we'd pass relatively close to one another. What are the chances of us catching a glimpse of Voyager of the Seas on their way home and would we be looking for them at about 30 hours/halfway into the voyage (about midnight after day one at sea by my reckoning)?

We are on Carnival Spirit departing Saturday evening Nov 5 bound for Noumea. Some friends of ours are on Voyager of the seas departing Noumea Saturday evening Nov 5 bound for Sydney. We are each due to arrive in the respective ports on the morning of the 8th, so I'd assume our travel speed is pretty similar.

I'd assume since we're traveling between the same two ports we'd pass relatively close to one another. What are the chances of us catching a glimpse of Voyager of the Seas on their way home and would we be looking for them at about 30 hours/halfway into the voyage (about midnight after day one at sea by my reckoning)?

Very possible. I've done several cruises where I've seen other cruise ships on the reciprocal course between New Caledonia and Sydney.

Very likely.

With an approximate travel time of 6+24+24+6 (just assuming departure times, but that will give you a rough idea), half the time is at 30 hours. That puts the cross over time around midnight on the 6/7 November. You'll likely see each other's lights then.

We sailed south down the east coast of Queensland a couple of years ago and I knew from looking at Marine Traffic that we would pass QE2 heading north later that night. I contacted guest relations to see if they could give me an estimate of what time the ships would pass. They checked with the bridge and then let me know. So I sat up on our balcony until about 1.30am to watch her pass us (south of Cairns). She was only about 500 metres off our port beam. Admittedly the shipping channel isn't too wide so they were never going to be too far apart. I got a couple of photos of QE2 all lit up.

Given there are no real reef issues between Noumea and Sydney the ships may pass many km's apart. Anyway, do what I did and get some info from the officers on the bridge.

Good luck