What to do when your stateroom mate bails on you?

chele670

You should always read the entire thread before posting. In this case you would have learned that "as I see it" is dead wrong.

The person who cancels after final payment is due a refund on port charges, but forfeits the cruise fare. The person left alone in the cabin is now liable for a single supplement payment, ...

O

I'll ask again: have you personal knowledge of this happening - or can you refer to anything in HAL's pubic information setting forth this policy?

I ask because I have personal knowledge of it NOT happening - admittedly back in 2003 - but still it seems that such an extraordinary procedure would be documented more definitively than by word of mouth on a chat room like this.

Either I was very lucky and slid under the radar, or HAL has changed things since July 2003. A friend and I were booked on Zuiderdam for 7 day Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale. A couple of weeks before sailing, a family emergency came up: he contacted the line and, while he was advised he could not get a fare refund, they did refund him the port charges --- but there was no mention of hitting me for a single supplement. As I recall I gave him a couple of hundred dollars to ease his pain -- and to sort of pay for the unexpected additional space I enjoyed.

I remain stunned by what seems to be the experience so many posters here report --- or could it be urban legend? Have posters here actually experienced first hand the absurd outcome of having to pay a single supplement after a roommate bails after making full final payment. I do not mean did they hear from their wife's cousin that it happened to the brother in law of someone they knew at work.

I wonder if PCC's simply try to avoid the uncompensated work involved in changing a booking, and suggest the passenger simply show up and play dumb on boarding day.

I still would like to hear if it has ever actually happened to someone that, after a roommate bailed, he had to pay a single supplement in addition to the line keeping the half of the cabin fare already paid by the bailing passenger.

I'll ask again: have you personal knowledge of this happening - or can you refer to anything in HAL's pubic information setting forth this policy?

I ask because I have personal knowledge of it NOT happening - admittedly back in 2003 - but still it seems that such an extraordinary procedure would be documented more definitively than by word of mouth on a chat room like this.

You seem to have a very low opinion of PCC's in general and mine in particular. For the record, my cruise was in October of 2008, so well after yours. When I was sure that my friend couldn't join me, I called to see how the pricing would change. Since I mostly sail solo, I was well aware of the single supplement. My PCC spent time with me going over the various options. I was given a dollar amount - from memory over $200 - that I would need to pay if I canceled him. I was also told that we could do him as a no show and not pay the extra. I chose not to pay, as would most people who were in the same situation.

If you would like, just so you could get first hand knowledge, I would be happy to book a cruise with you then cancel. Maybe your luck would be better than mine and the other two that have posted the same thing.

You seem to have a very low opinion of PCC's in general and mine in particular. For the record, my cruise was in October of 2008, so well after yours. When I was sure that my friend couldn't join me, I called to see how the pricing would change. Since I mostly sail solo, I was well aware of the single supplement. My PCC spent time with me going over the various options. I was given a dollar amount - from memory over $200 - that I would need to pay if I canceled him. I was also told that we could do him as a no show and not pay the extra. I chose not to pay, as would most people who were in the same situation.

If you would like, just so you could get first hand knowledge, I would be happy to book a cruise with you then cancel. Maybe your luck would be better than mine and the other two that have posted the same thing.

Thanks for your input - it does seem that the about $200 (which you mentioned) would be a very low single supplement - I assume you are talking about a three or four day cruise - probably in an inside for it to be in that range.

Actually, if PCC's regularly advise passengers how to evade cancellation/billing policies of their employer - perhaps a low opinion of them is warranted.

For the record, my cruise was in October of 2008, so well after yours. When I was sure that my friend couldn't join me, I called to see how the pricing would change. Since I mostly sail solo, I was well aware of the single supplement. My PCC spent time with me going over the various options. I was given a dollar amount -

The same with me and I believe my experience was in 2014. Like the above poster, my PCC went over it very carefully with me.

Susan

Thanks for your input - it does seem that the about $200 (which you mentioned) would be a very low single supplement - I assume you are talking about a three or four day cruise - probably in an inside for it to be in that range.

Actually, if PCC's regularly advise passengers how to evade cancellation/billing policies of their employer - perhaps a low opinion of them is warranted.

If you had read carefully, you would have understood that the $200 was on top of the full payment I had made for the booking of two people in the cabin. It was a seven day cruise in an outside cabin.

As to your second point, PCC's work to give passengers the best deal possible working within the rules they are given.

If you had read carefully, you would have understood that the $200 was on top of the full payment I had made for the booking of two people in the cabin. It was a seven day cruise in an outside cabin.

As to your second point, PCC's work to give passengers the best deal possible working within the rules they are given.

I did read carefully - that is why I expressed doubt about the notion that if one cancels his fare is not refunded and the other has to pay single supplement.

That does not seem to be what was presented to you when you were told you would have to pay just $200 or so more -- which is nowhere near what a single supplement on an outside cabin for seven days would come to.

Yes, PCC's are meant to assist passengers- but I hope you do not think that HAL pays them to help reduce HAL's potential income by evading "the rules they are given",

Once more - can anyone verify the notion that HAL's practice is to absorb the fare paid by a cancelling roommate and then to charge the remaining roommate the single supplement?

Several years ago I booked a Caribbean Cruise for myself and a friend. I knew for sure several weeks out that he would not be going. I contacted my PCC to check on options. There were several conversations involved, but the outcome of each was that if I notified HAL that he would not be sailing it would cost me more at the time of the notification. I was advised to let the reservation stand. When I boarded the ship I said I wasn't sure of his status but he didn't show. About a week after the cruise I got a refund of the port charges.

I did read carefully - that is why I expressed doubt about the notion that if one cancels his fare is not refunded and the other has to pay single supplement.

That does not seem to be what was presented to you when you were told you would have to pay just $200 or so more -- which is nowhere near what a single supplement on an outside cabin for seven days would come to.

Yes, PCC's are meant to assist passengers- but I hope you do not think that HAL pays them to help reduce HAL's potential income by evading "the rules they are given",

Once more - can anyone verify the notion that HAL's practice is to absorb the fare paid by a cancelling roommate and then to charge the remaining roommate the single supplement?

OK, my bad. When I stated above that I booked the cruise I thought it would be understood that I paid for the entire booking. If I had canceled the amount charged for the solo supplement was around $200 more than the refund of the second passenger. Does that make it easier to understand?

Edited by richwmn

OK, my bad. When I stated above that I booked the cruise I thought it would be understood that I paid for the entire booking. If I had canceled the amount charged for the solo supplement was around $200 more than the refund of the second passenger. Does that make it easier to understand?

Not really.

Since the PCC issue has reared its head....we would just point out that the PCC's work for HAL and have HAL's interests at heart. But a decent cruise agent/agency works for the cruiser (and can be a valuable advocate in dealing with issues at the cruise line). We also like that our cruise agent (we use several) can also propose alternatives on other cruise lines. In fact, we are currently looking at booking either a HAL or Celebrity cruise for a certain itinerary...and our cruise agent can quickly break-down the cost/benefit issues of each line. Although we tend to do that ourselves...it is great to have an experienced sounding board who also can get me additional OBCs (not offered by the cruise line).

Hank

Hmmm, you might want to consider that Aussies are not permitted to book HAL cruises via a North American agency. As a result, many have complained that Aussies are already paying a premium to cruise on HAL. Perhaps it is your consumer protection laws that spur on this policy,

Hank

I have cruised HAL. Even though we do book through local TA's, the " contract" stipulates US law applies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have cruised HAL. Even though we do book through local TA's, the " contract" stipulates US law applies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, but US prices are not available to Aussies. We have an Aussie mate (from Cairns) who cruises HAL on a regular basis. He now books with a Canadian address (which belongs to a friend) to get North America pricing and amenities.

Hank

Do you want to be in the same cabin or in separate cabins? If you want to be together, I suggest you have your travel agent try to transfer your daughter to your cabin and your mother to your daughter's cabin. That way you will both have the Neptune Suite benefits which I don't think they will give your daughter if she is registered in a different cabin. Also, this will avoid any issues of HAL trying to charge you both for a single supplement. I would definitely try to work it out before sailing. Of course, if you prefer to be in separate cabins and your daughter doesn't care about the suite benefits, then you could take your chances when you board.

I had a similar situation inside the final payment window. on Princess a few years ago. They switched my father's name for my spouse.

At the time the customer service rep seemed happy that the last names were the same (not certain why) and she processed the change with a minor $25. admin fee. It is probably $50 now. Good luck.

Edited by iancal

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think the "single supplement" is an additional fare.

All it means is that anyone cruising solo is going to pay the price of 2 less the port fees and taxes. There isn't an extra fee on top of that.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think the "single supplement" is an additional fare.

All it means is that anyone cruising solo is going to pay the price of 2 less the port fees and taxes. There isn't an extra fee on top of that.

As I understand it from earlier posts, if you book as two people, and one cancels, the passenger who sails ( and who paid for half of the cabin) becomes a single and must pay the single supplement. HAL does not credit the fare paid by the no-show to cover the single supplement. That money is lost unless the no-show had insurance. See Ruth's explanation from earlier in this thread:

That's not quite how it works. A solo is likely to pay the same amount as two people; the single supplement is (up to) 100%.

If HAL is notified in advance that one sister is not coming, if it's after final payment, her fare would be forfeited. The fact that the sister who is sailing paid that fare, and the fact that the amount is the same as the single supplement, does not matter. The fare is for the canceling sister, and is non-refundable. Now, the sister who is going to sail has to pay a single supplement.

HAL would get the equivalent of three fares for the two beds.

Absolutely not. There is no extra supplement. If you book a double cabin you will pay a fare for 2 people. If one of the passengers is unable to go, their fees and taxes are refunded but the single person still pays the base fare for 2 people and only the fees and taxes for the single.

Edited to add: If a travel agent tells you otherwise, it's time to find another travel agent.

Edited by santanna

Absolutely not. There is no extra supplement. If you book a double cabin you will pay a fare for 2 people. If one of the passengers is unable to go, their fees and taxes are refunded but the single person still pays the base fare for 2 people and only the fees and taxes for the single.

Edited to add: If a travel agent tells you otherwise, it's time to find another travel agent.

Finally - a voice of reason (whose reason also happened to jibe with my actual experience).

Cruise fares are advertised as "Per Person / Double Occupancy".

For Verandah and above cabins, a single will generally pay the same as two people less the port charges and taxes.

For Inside and Outside Cabins (and occasionally higher), the Solo Cruiser may pay between 150% and 200% of the per person rate - that is what is referred to as the single supplement.

Per HAL rules, when a second person cancels after final payment his fare is forfeit based on a percentage listed in the contract. The remaining passenger is then re-fared at the single rate. The result may come out to be more than the double would have been, particularly if the passenger that does sail is the one that paid the entire double fare.

There are the 'fare rules' and then there is what actually transpires. Not sure what was the case with my Princess cruise. Rules were never really discussed. After explaining the situation, getting some feedback that it was an unfortunate situation, and then offering a resolution, the agent immediately said hold on a minute. She came back about thirty seconds later, apologized, and said she sorry but would have to charge me a $25 admin fee to substitute DW for my father.

Not certain what the fare rule was, whether she got an override from her supervisor, or if she had the authority to make the change. But she did. It was a common sense resolution that took no longer than a ten minute call from the time she answered to the time I confirmed my cc number for the admin fee. I would hope that HAL or any other cruise line would treat this challenge in the same manner. Why try to rip off a customer...soon to be ex customer?

Edited by iancal

Cruise fares are advertised as "Per Person / Double Occupancy".

For Verandah and above cabins, a single will generally pay the same as two people less the port charges and taxes.

For Inside and Outside Cabins (and occasionally higher), the Solo Cruiser may pay between 150% and 200% of the per person rate - that is what is referred to as the single supplement.

Per HAL rules, when a second person cancels after final payment his fare is forfeit based on a percentage listed in the contract. The remaining passenger is then re-fared at the single rate. The result may come out to be more than the double would have been, particularly if the passenger that does sail is the one that paid the entire double fare.

Can you provide a source for the above cited "HAL rules"?

I was fortunate enough to spend my career with a great multi national company. We had lots of rules and policies. Out the ying yang as a matter of fact.

But there was an unwritten rule when we had a customer challenge. At the end of the discussion we asked ourselves a simple question...'what is the right thing to do for this customer'. The answer dictated how we interpreted, bent, and made exceptions to the rules and policies.

It was a good policy. It built customer loyalty and satisfaction. It made employees proud to be part of the organization.

I believe that it had a huge payback.

And no, it was definately not a bank or financial institution!

Edited by iancal