British Isles-which lines do this?

CasaM

We are celebrating our 50th anniv in 2017 and we'd like to do a cruise of the British Isles. Our heritage is Scottish and Irish, so hitting those ports would be especially important to us. Which cruise lines should we look at?

I did a 12 day British Isles cruise earlier this year with Princess, and it was great. We visited the following ports:

Liverpool

Southampton

St Peter Port, Guernsey

Cork

Dublin

Belfast

Glasgow

Orkney Islands

Invergordon

Edinburgh

Le Havre

We sailed the Silhouette in August for a 14 night British Isles cruise r/t from Amsterdam that included an overnight in Edinburgh for the Tattoo. The ports-of-call included Guernsey Is., Cobh, Dublin, Liverpool, Belfast, Shetland Is., Inverness, Edinburgh and Bruges with a minimum of 8 hours in each.

We had full days every day with private tours in nearly every port so I felt we experienced more than a taste of Ireland, Scotland & Wales (from Liverpool).

We'd previously spent 7 weeks in the British Isles on land trips using timeshare trades, vacation rentals and hotels and loved those holidays, too!

For a first taste, a cruise is a good start. Be sure that whatever line you choose gives you extended days in port, research thoroughly so you can select the most important sights you want to see, and join your sailing's roll call for ideas and to possibly sign on with a private tour organized by a roll call cruise mate!

We did a British Isles cruise on Celebrity Infinity in May 2013 and an NCL cruise out of Copenhagen that included three ports in the BI.

Both were excellent, but I give the edge to Celebrity.

Here are my reviews.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264272

Thank you all for your comments and reviews. We are also considering doing a few days in Glasgow before or after a cruise. DH has some walking issues so a pure land trip is not on our agenda at this point.

My DW has mobility problems too. When in Glasgow, you could consider hiring an electric wheelchair for the day: http://www.mobilityequipmenthiredirect.com/mobility-equipment-hire/c1012-wheelchair-hire-in-glasgow-scotland/

Thanks to the EU, the UK is pretty wheelchair friendly these days - dropped kerbs, easy access shops and public transport, and disabled-friendly toilets.

Edited by Bob++

We will be on the Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise in late May. I grew up in England and spent summers south of Glasgow. If you would let us know what heritage places are important to you we can help to make sure you see them.

50th anniversary calls for something really good. I'd suggest Oceania. They are fantastic, and while prices seem a little high, keep in mind that airfare is usually included, plus they do not nickel and dime you. We did a British Isles/Norway cruise a few years ago which was fabulous.