Formal night on regal - sorry, new cruiser!

passy

I've read lots of threads on CC re formal nights!

Dad (77) and I (43) cruise on regal on Nov 13. Dad is regular princess cruiser, I've been on ocean village and P&O.

I love to dress up for formal night and will wear a long sparkly dress. Dad isn't so keen but is packing his tux so that he doesn't feel out of place.

We have anytime dining and I'd like to eat in mdr on for al nights.

Is Dad overdressing? Can he leave his tux at home?

We fly from U.K. So packing is an issue!

Thanks!

I cruise with my dad a lot too. We are similar in age to you and your dad. If you are wearing a fancy dress, I would tell your dad to wear his tux. He will be dressier than most, but doesn't a dark suit take up just as much room? If it will make him happier though, he could wear a dark suit and you two will still look great together.

If you have read many threads on the subject, you know how this one will turn out.

Thanks for taking the time to point that out.

I thought it was probably clear that the threads I have read didn't give a definitive answer to my particular question, which is why I asked it.

Your condescension is top-notch though, so thank you for your efforts. As a relative newbie to CC it's a pleasure to be made to feel so welcome.

I cruise with my dad a lot too. We are similar in age to you and your dad. If you are wearing a fancy dress, I would tell your dad to wear his tux. He will be dressier than most, but doesn't a dark suit take up just as much room? If it will make him happier though, he could wear a dark suit and you two will still look great together.

Thank you - good point re the packing space!

Dad (77) and I (43) cruise on regal on Nov 13. Dad is regular princess cruiser, I've been on ocean village and P&O.

I love to dress up for formal night and will wear a long sparkly dress. Dad isn't so keen but is packing his tux so that he doesn't feel out of place.

Thanks!

Dark suit will do fine.

Even trousers and a sports jacket.

Thanks!

My DH wears his tux. We are also on Regal this winter.

Your dad will look handsome in his tux. Enjoy your special time with him on board the ship.

• 1 month later...

First time Cruisers! lol My husband is not keen on packing a suit of any kind. If you choose to just eat at the buffet on formal night, do you still have to wear a suit or is the smart casual ok?

Edited by Oceansawayeh

First time Cruisers! lol My husband is not keen on packing a suit of any kind. If you choose to just eat at the buffet on formal night, do you still have to wear a suit or is the smart casual ok?

Horizon Court buffet is always casual. Shorts and golf shirt are no problem at dinner.

Re: MDR formal nights: Sport jacket, tie, and slacks are just fine. Many men even drop the tie. It's not a problem.

I'm not a suit or tux person either. Just have him wear a decent pair of pants with either a dress shirt -no tie required or guayabera shirt (very comfortable) and he'll be fine. Don't miss out on the better selections in the DR on formal nights just because people will quote you Princess's suggested dress code.

It's been years since they've really enforced it to any degree.

If you plan on eating at the buffet ANY type of dress is acceptable, short of a wet bathing suit.;)

Not many people actually like getting dressed up on a vacation especially when you have to pack extra clothing for a 1 or 2 nights on a cruise ship.