Gratuity charge on platinum perk dinner

calmpets

Specialty Restaurant staff are covered by the 18% Gratuity charge..... they and several other groups of workers (youth programs, butlers, bar staff, spa, etc) are not covered by the DSC.

Here is the Gratuity FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Here is the DSC FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

NCL's thought (and I agree) is that those passengers who choose to partake in non-complimentary services should be required to contribute to those gratuities....... all complimentary services are open to everyone so everyone pays their equal share to DSC.

The waiter you had in Haven and then at OSheehan's is prorated based on hours worked at each place (maybe 48% gratuity pool and 52% DSC pool)

sent using Forums mobile app

NCL came out with that nonsense when the seasoned passengers started questioning the double dipping of tips for the wait staff. The MDR servers and the specialty servers were always in the same tip pool. Even after NCL added the double tip for the specialty restaurants, nothing was ever said until an uproar occurred here, on Facebook, and consumers calling NCL. Then, magically, the specialty staff were not part of the tip pool :rolleyes:

NCL came out with that nonsense when the seasoned passengers started questioning the double dipping of tips for the wait staff.

The MDR servers and the specialty servers were always in the same tip pool.

Even after NCL added the double tip for the specialty restaurants, nothing was ever said until an uproar occurred here,

on Facebook, and consumers calling NCL.

Then, magically, the specialty staff were not part of the tip pool :rolleyes:

Sissaaaaaa,

Thanks for your Quote, time and skill!:)

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape

We had stopped sailing NCL for around 10 years and in the past year or so decided to give them another try. So I missed out on all the changes and charges that had taken place. I didn't realize I and my husband had Platinum status until these last past 5 sailings.

I have to say out of the 10 visits to either LeBistro or LaCucina, we've never really had the best of service. I don't think they get much training or stick around in one restaurant enough to fully know the menu, not really sure. We still find ourselves doing almost all specialty dining. We just go in with the knowledge that we may or may not get a good server that knows what the heck they're doing. On the Getaway we had one girl in LeBistro that completely forgot everything from taking our order to bringing wine, etc. She ended up waiting on us the following week in the Haven. She didn't do too much better in there either!

NCL came out with that nonsense when the seasoned passengers started questioning the double dipping of tips for the wait staff. The MDR servers and the specialty servers were always in the same tip pool. Even after NCL added the double tip for the specialty restaurants, nothing was ever said until an uproar occurred here, on Facebook, and consumers calling NCL. Then, magically, the specialty staff were not part of the tip pool :rolleyes:

So...... are the Specialty Staff in the DSC pool? You seem to imply yes....

So...... are the Specialty Staff in the DSC pool? You seem to imply yes....

There is no DSC pool. There is no 18% gratuity pool. The staff is paid their contracted amount. DSC and 18% are service charges, not gratuities. The pool is NCL revenue used to reduce labour costs.

If I receive exceptional service, the only way to show my gratitude is with cash. If you think that the 18% goes directly to the staff it is time to quit the kool-aid.

You really think that a butler's base pay is less than that of a room steward?

That is exactly what happened. The wording changed after people started questioning the double dipping.

Sure they are.

whether they are or are not, I would never think of not tipping them. Normally they give outstanding service. Just because we get a free meal for our loyalty to the line doesn't excuse us from tipping. As has been said, would you go to a land restaurant with a 2 fer coupon or a free meal and not leave a gratuity? We sure wouldn't. I am a bit surprised anyone would be shocked at an additional 18%. I will add we tip in cash and if the service isn't great that is a different story, but 90% of the time the sevice in Le Bistro particularly has been outstanding. We had one bad experience our last cruise, complained, got another meal in Le Bistro and let me tell you: the service was above and beyond. Also let me add we complained and not until the next day. We didn't feel creating a scene was the way to gain friends.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We just got off the Spirit last week, had the Latitudes Platinum free meals in Le Bistro & Trattoria.

We gave them our comp dinner tickets when we arrive, and there is no bill when we are done. We were not charged the 18% NCL Bonus.

We received a free bottle of wine, it would cost $6-8 in the stores here, and that still $5 too much, it was bad. The 2nd nite we requested soft drinks instead of the free bottle of wine. A smart move.

We also received a comp dinner the final nite in Venice, our reservation was for 6:15PM, we were the only ones in there for an hour. But the time we left, there were 2 additional couples there.

Just putting a divider between the buffet, adding a little fancier chair and tablecloth, giving it a name of Trattoria, still seems like the buffet to me. Except the food is a little better.

Free is okay, I wouldn't pay to eat there.

:eek:

We just got off the Spirit last week, had the Latitudes Platinum free meals in Le Bistro & Trattoria.

We gave them our comp dinner tickets when we arrive, and there is no bill when we are done. We were not charged the 18% NCL Bonus.

We received a free bottle of wine, it would cost $6-8 in the stores here, and that still $5 too much, it was bad. The 2nd nite we requested soft drinks instead of the free bottle of wine. A smart move.

We also received a comp dinner the final nite in Venice, our reservation was for 6:15PM, we were the only ones in there for an hour. But the time we left, there were 2 additional couples there.

Just putting a divider between the buffet, adding a little fancier chair and tablecloth, giving it a name of Trattoria, still seems like the buffet to me. Except the food is a little better.

Free is okay, I wouldn't pay to eat there.

We ate in the Italian place on the Spirit in Dec. It was probably the best meal we had. Yes, they take a part of the buffet, it wasn't super busy when we went either, but the service and food was fantastic. Plus they cook most of it right there on the grill so the food was hot.

whether they are or are not, I would never think of not tipping them. Normally they give outstanding service. Just because we get a free meal for our loyalty to the line doesn't excuse us from tipping.

Your opinion, fair enough, but others have different opinions! Think Trump v Hillary, a nation divided by opinion and similar here in the UK with the Brexit vote!

My opinion, we have cruised countless times (and spent tens of thousands) with NCL who now take a "double dip" gratuity when we eat in specialty restaurants. I tolerate their sneaky practices, and have no problem accepting our free Platinum perk. So, for me, that "excuses us from tipping" in that specific case....although we have done so when our waiter went well beyond what we would have expected on one occasion.

The problem on these boards are the people who maintain that their way is the only way to go!:rolleyes:

Edited by hamrag

Actually, what NCL says is the only way to go. If they want to charge you 18% for your Platinum meal, your only choices are to use the voucher under those conditions or not to use the voucher under those conditions.

The problem is that they currently say they are going to charge 18%, but then they don't do it. And nobody here knows what the consequences are for the servers.

Just a word of advice for those who want to leave an extra tip in this situation. If you use a voucher, they don't bring you anything to sign at the end of the meal, so you can't write in an extra tip. You need to bring cash (or make a note of your server's name and figure out some way to get the money to them afterwards). Or maybe they can actually produce a slip for you to sign if you explain what you want it for.

Actually, what NCL says is the only way to go. If they want to charge you 18% for your Platinum meal, your only choices are to use the voucher under those conditions or not to use the voucher under those conditions....

I agree entirely, if NCL are now adding that little trick to existing sneaky practices.

My response was specifically to the side discussion about leaving cash tips!;)

Exactly, just as you think your way is the only way to go, others think their way is the only way to go:rolleyes:. It is just human nature.

You need to re-read my posts...I made it absolutely clear that I think the opposite of what you suggest!:rolleyes:

Your opinion, fair enough, but others have different opinions! Think Trump v Hillary, a nation divided by opinion and similar here in the UK with the Brexit vote!

My opinion, we have cruised countless times (and spent tens of thousands) with NCL who now take a "double dip" gratuity when we eat in specialty restaurants. I tolerate their sneaky practices, and have no problem accepting our free Platinum perk. So, for me, that "excuses us from tipping" in that specific case....although we have done so when our waiter went well beyond what we would have expected on one occasion.

The problem on these boards are the people who maintain that their way is the only way to go!:rolleyes:

I agree, and obviously so do many others, except the cheerleaders always telling us what to do.

When I have someone seat me, a different person pouring me water, a different person taking my order, a different person delivering my meal, etc., I am not going to worry about creating a spreadsheet, trying to leave money for each individual, and give a gratuity based upon all of this, nor is it expected of me to do so. I am informed that I will be charged 18% for my meal already. If I do not get charged for it from NCL, so be it.

Nor do I feel I am stiffing someone, the employees are paid via my daily charge from NCL, which I am informed of before hand.

Folks who state they leave cash tips for everyone, I have a hard time believing it. I do not see folks leave cash at the end of their meals, so quit trying to tell us how benevolent you are, and how much you pity the poor employees working on the ship. Its old, and just repeating it on every thread doesn't make us believe you, and feel like heathens if we do not do, what you tell us we are suppose to do.

whether they are or are not, I would never think of not tipping them. Normally they give outstanding service. Just because we get a free meal for our loyalty to the line doesn't excuse us from tipping. As has been said, would you go to a land restaurant with a 2 fer coupon or a free meal and not leave a gratuity? We sure wouldn't. I am a bit surprised anyone would be shocked at an additional 18%. I will add we tip in cash and if the service isn't great that is a different story, but 90% of the time the sevice in Le Bistro particularly has been outstanding. We had one bad experience our last cruise, complained, got another meal in Le Bistro and let me tell you: the service was above and beyond. Also let me add we complained and not until the next day. We didn't feel creating a scene was the way to gain friends.

Yeah, you need to keep your assumptions in check. No one said they shouldn't be tipped. A forced "gratuity" that goes directly to NCL is another matter. That is beyond tacky.

I agree, and obviously so do many others, except the cheerleaders always telling us what to do.

When I have someone seat me, a different person pouring me water, a different person taking my order, a different person delivering my meal, etc., I am not going to worry about creating a spreadsheet, trying to leave money for each individual, and give a gratuity based upon all of this, nor is it expected of me to do so. I am informed that I will be charged 18% for my meal already. If I do not get charged for it from NCL, so be it.

Nor do I feel I am stiffing someone, the employees are paid via my daily charge from NCL, which I am informed of before hand.

Folks who state they leave cash tips for everyone, I have a hard time believing it. I do not see folks leave cash at the end of their meals, so quit trying to tell us how benevolent you are, and how much you pity the poor employees working on the ship. Its old, and just repeating it on every thread doesn't make us believe you, and feel like heathens if we do not do, what you tell us we are suppose to do.

I agree with you. I've read numerous postings about cash tipping and I've looked for evidence of it happening on the ships and really haven't seen it.

I agree with you. I've read numerous postings about cash tipping and I've looked for evidence of it happening on the ships and really haven't seen it.

I always leave a small cash tip at the restaurants as well as every time I get a drink. You would be surprised at how Fast i get drinks after the first tip. I have had many friends in the service industry so I always tip well on land or sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always leave a small cash tip at the restaurants as well as every time I get a drink. You would be surprised at how Fast i get drinks after the first tip. I have had many friends in the service industry so I always tip well on land or sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do we.

But the servers who waited on you deserve to be tipped. They depend on those tips to support themselves and their families.

That being said, I was not charged a gratuity on my Platinum dinner on the Escape in September

Neither were we on the Jewel in October....but you never know with NCL! We DID always leave a tip on the bill.....regardless of whether or not it was already listed. And a couple of times left $10 - $20 depending on whether there were 2 0r 4 of us....