Crown grill

Japanda

Thanks for all the great input everyone.

DH is a very good eater and I was curious if he would be able to order extra sides or even an extra steak if he wanted to, on our Ruby cruise in Feb. We have only been on Royal Caribbean so far and for our speciality dining they brought out many dishes for us to try, even though we hadn't ordered them.

I noticed the Curtis Stone's speciality restaurant only let's you order one item from each course, so I was curious if this was the Princess lines policy or just this restaurant.

In the CG you can order as mush as you want.

We plan to eat at the Crown Grill for 10 days... will tip extra 15%... originally the up charge was to cover tips... don't know if it still does but feel since we leave auto tip on, then tipping exta 15% is adequate in the Grill this is about $10 a day... hope to get same table, same server so will tip at the end of cruise.

We were just on the Ruby and went to the CG the first night. We each had one appetizer and the black and blue onion soup. Our favorite!!!

The boys got steak and lobster tails. I just got the lobster. We also got the garlic fries and asparagus. They came back several times and asked it we wanted more. No way since we still had to have the sweets at the end :eek:

We tipped an extra $15 cash since they did such a great job.

But, Yes, you can order something from the MDR when in Crown Grill. I was with family in the Crown Grill on an evening when I knew my absolute favorite sorbet was being served in the MDR. I asked if it would be possible to get the sorbet for dessert. They were happy to accommodate after warning me that it would take awhile as they had to go to a different galley. I was thrilled.

Jackie

We did the Crown Grill last June. I wanted a Ceaser salad and they told me no way. I told them I had one every night in th main dining room. Thay said sorry no can do so I asked for Blue cheese and was told no. Only house dressing. Didnt leave a big tip.

GOSH! If you think those are the best lamb chops in the world, maybe you'd better stick with them. We grill Lamb Chops at Home. Home raised, grass fed and you will never get anything that good aboard ship. We eat at a Kabob place owned by Afghans and they serve mean Chops as well. Lamb Chops should be Medium Rare and serve hot off a wood fired grill, not gas.

GOSH! If you think those are the best lamb chops in the world, maybe you'd better stick with them. We grill Lamb Chops at Home. Home raised, grass fed and you will never get anything that good aboard ship. We eat at a Kabob place owned by Afghans and they serve mean Chops as well. Lamb Chops should be Medium Rare and serve hot off a wood fired grill, not gas.

What time are you serving?

We did the Crown Grill last June. I wanted a Ceaser salad and they told me no way. I told them I had one every night in th main dining room. Thay said sorry no can do so I asked for Blue cheese and was told no. Only house dressing. Didnt leave a big tip.

What ship? I have more than once heard the waiters offer to make a Caesar salad, special, when asked.

I am surprised by your experience. Sorry.

I always like the goat cheese salad at CG.

Most recent was on Crown Princess according to another Poster. Medeterranean Lamb will be served when it is ready! How's that? :p Served with roasted sweet potatoes, salad, and Jello with little oranges in it! Or I may make a Peach Crumble. Be here on time or the dog gets it. You can always go over a waiters head with requests or questions.

Edited by WupperAV

What ship? I have more than once heard the waiters offer to make a Caesar salad' date=' special, when asked.

I am surprised by your experience. Sorry.

I always like the goat cheese salad at CG.[/quote']

We were on the Crown Princess. I was surprised at the answer. We were there just after 5PM so it wasn't that they were busy. :)

It is a little hard to cook the lamb chops on either of those on a cruise ship with no open flames allowed. :D It does sound good though. So when is dinner? :D

I'll be right over! :D

Yep. The only way to go with lamb chops, I always get disappointed with lamb on most cruises, sailing Aus and NZ, the best lamb on earth and they seem to fly 3rd class lamb half way round the world. Go figure.

I think it was in this thread that I reported having excellent Lamb Chops in the Crown Grill on the Ruby Princess.

For the record I like most of my red meat served rare--and by that I mean as rare as they can prepare it. I was very pleased that my chops were very rare. I am quite confident that if I had asked for them to be prepared well done, I would have been presented with well done lamb chops

I don't want to get into a conversation as to the "right" way or the "wrong" way to prepare meats, but I do want to make a comment on my meal--and, by the way, this will certainly establish me a a food snob.

When we have lamb at home, as often as not, I will reach into the refrigerator and grab the opened jar of mint jelly to have as a condiment with my lamb. In a fine dining restaurant, or a "finer" dining restaurant, if you prefer, I expect to see a kitchen prepared condiment, and, if I had my druthers, I would like a mint sauce with lamb.

Sadly, on my plate at the Crown Grill, next to my lamb, was a green glob of mint jelly right from a jar.

Now, I know this is the absolute epitome of first world problems, but I did notice it. Again, now, let me reiterate that my meal at the Crown Grill on the Ruby Princess was outstanding.

The other comment that I would like to make on my recent Ruby Princess Crown Grill experience is that we received excellent service that evening. I was very pleased with the attentiveness of our waiter. I will also mention that the room was quite busy. There were three parties of more than 10 diners, but the rooom was served efficiently and professionally.

I credit the service level excellence to the headwaiter, whose name was, I believe, Jose Luis. As you can imagine with a full room and multiple large parties, there was a lot of activity. Jose Luis was right there with his staff. He did not have time to come over to chat with us, and I was very OK with that. All night long I saw him on the floor monitoring the situation and offering his assistance when he saw that additional hands were needed.

Sadly, I must report that all too often the headwaiter has been completely AWOL when I have visited Crown Grill on other ships.

Bravo, Jose Luis.

A word about Jose Luis. I once encountered him in an elevator the day after I'd had my lamb chops in CG. He greeted me when I got on the elevator with "Did you enjoy your dinner last night?" I liked that little touch.

Since I'm not a mint jelly person, I always ask them to keep it in the kitchen. :)