Sail and Sign cards left in your amil box

Cruisin 4 Ever

I'm not worried so much about somebody breaking into my cabin as I am about somebody charging something on my card. I realize they are supposed to be safe because of your picture or whatever, but as somebody upthread mentioned, often the folio number is just written down. And on our cruise last month somehow my husband and managed to switch our cards, I used his all day long and he used mine, it wasn't until dinner when I ordered a glass of wine that our waiter noticed it. So clearly nobody paid attention to the pictures. Also, on the Vista at least you can use a kiosk to buy movie tickets and buy beer at the Red Frog Pub, without anybody checking your card. I just feel there needs to be a layer of security. As I said earlier, I will avoid the ships using this method until I feel comfortable that the risks have been worked out. I don't go on vacation to have to deal with an issue that shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, the envelopes are sealed. How is someone going to know what your folio numbers are without it being obvious that the envelope was tampered with?

On another note, as someone who wears my card on a lanyard where it is visible to everyone (please no discussion on people's opinions on lanyard wearers here), and I have yet to have someone write down my folio number and start charging things to it. This isn't a challenge, people ;). However, should I observe an error on my account, I would go to GS and have it removed.

Although I agree there is possibly some potential security issue that hasn't been figured out yet by all of us on cruise critic (remember thieves are usually one step ahead of non-thieves) the real thing for me is I just love getting my card. As soon as I get it while in the terminal it feels like the vacation real and I'm ready to go; it's almost like a ritual for me. Just a minor thing of course, I just prefer to get the card at check-in.

On my early cruises in 2003 -06, I remember finding excursion tickets left in an unsealed envelope in the outside mailbox. I never had a problem, and one time when I received someone else's tickets by mistake, I just returned them to the excursion desk.

As a Diamond, I'm not concerned that my S&S card will be left outside the cabin. But unless I was a brand new cruiser, I wouldn't have any questions about this tactic. It's only a stop gap measure anyway, as the future will be totally keyless doors.

There will be an app for that! In the news part of CC, Carnival CEO is quoted: Arnold Donald, Carnival Corporation's visionary chief executive officer, will be the keynote speaker at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas on January 5. Donald will be delivering a speech on "Connected Experience," a radically innovative new Carnival Corporation effort to create new passenger experiences based on entirely new technology. Donald is the first travel executive to snag the keynote slot in the conference's 50 year history, following in the footsteps of visionary leaders from companies like Netflix, Microsoft, Sony and Ford.

Get ready, the future will be here whether you are prepared for it or not!

What I have read about the room keys are, they are in a envelope that states something g like if envelope has been tampered please go to guest services. I'm sure at that point they will reissue a new card so there would be a new code with it.

Do you need to open the envelope to be able to clone the cards?

If somebody takes my envelope - I assume it's easier to pick up than a magnet off the door - do I really need that additional stress of finding guest service desk, standing in the long line on day 1, worrying about a thief hiding in the cabin, waiting for me?

If somebody takes my envelope - I assume it's easier to pick up than a magnet off the door - do I really need that additional stress of finding guest service desk, standing in the long line on day 1, worrying about a thief hiding in the cabin, waiting for me?

I just about choked on my lunch! A thief hiding in the cabin waiting for me? Just when you think you have heard it all!! As someone who cruises alone, this isn't even the slightest bit of a concern to me. Perhaps IF your cabin keys are missing you can find the RS to walk you to your cabin and check under the bed for the boogeyman. Once he eradicates them, you don't have anything else to worry about because the cards that he has will be deactivated.

As far as standing in line at GS, it could be an inconvenience unless you have status or FTTF. But I'm willing to bet it won't happen.

Oh I needed that laugh today. Seriously I did.

On my early cruises in 2003 -06, I remember finding excursion tickets left in an unsealed envelope in the outside mailbox. I never had a problem, and one time when I received someone else's tickets by mistake, I just returned them to the excursion desk.

As a Diamond, I'm not concerned that my S&S card will be left outside the cabin. But unless I was a brand new cruiser, I wouldn't have any questions about this tactic. It's only a stop gap measure anyway, as the future will be totally keyless doors.

There will be an app for that! In the news part of CC, Carnival CEO is quoted: Arnold Donald, Carnival Corporation's visionary chief executive officer, will be the keynote speaker at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas on January 5. Donald will be delivering a speech on "Connected Experience," a radically innovative new Carnival Corporation effort to create new passenger experiences based on entirely new technology. Donald is the first travel executive to snag the keynote slot in the conference's 50 year history, following in the footsteps of visionary leaders from companies like Netflix, Microsoft, Sony and Ford.

Get ready, the future will be here whether you are prepared for it or not!

I'm going to guess that it will be like the Disney bracelets.

Here's how I picture it: you'll take care of all your online check in and bring in your boarding pass. They'll have unassigned bracelets that are activated upon scanning. All the information that was handled online will be synced to the ID in the bracelet when it is issued. It will open doors and charge your account for drinks and other charges.

My guess is the splendor test arrangement will be the intermediary until they can launch the new system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here's how I picture it: you'll take care of all your online check in and bring in your boarding pass. They'll have unassigned bracelets that are activated upon scanning. All the information that was handled online will be synced to the ID in the bracelet when it is issued. It will open doors and charge your account for drinks and other charges.

My guess is the splendor test arrangement will be the intermediary until they can launch the new system.

Hmmm, opposed on general principles to wearing a bracelet for 7 days so I hope that you are wrong.

Or maybe your cell phone will open your cabin door like Hilton hotels have.

As long as it's an option and not mandatory I'm good with it. I'll take the old fashioned card, thank you:).

Me too. Besides the fact that I don't want to take my phone everywhere, I like to keep my cards to remember my cruises by.

But it would be nice if they gave you the card and the capability to use your phone so that in case your card malfunctions (which has happened to us before) at least you could get into your cabin without having to go directly to GS. I could see them making it a part of the Hub App.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Me too. Besides the fact that I don't want to take my phone everywhere, I like to keep my cards to remember my cruises by.

But it would be nice if they gave you the card and the capability to use your phone so that in case your card malfunctions (which has happened to us before) at least you could get into your cabin without having to go directly to GS. I could see them making it a part of the Hub App.

This reminded me that I once burned through three cards which quit working before I realized it was the magnetic latch on my tablet cover that was wiping out the mag stripe on the cards. GS was getting really, really tired of seeing me. DOH! :o

Yes, I glue a piece of magnet on the back of the card and put it on my workstation at work underneath a magnet replica of the ship we were on. Having the option as you outline it wouldn't help me because if the card didn't work I wouldn't be able to use my phone because it would be in the safe in the cabin:o.

Heck, why don't they just lay all the S&S cards on the floor of the gang way and let us pick them up on the way to the ship. That works for me. Kind of like a free excursion- Scavenger hunt for your room.

Seriously, putting the cards in the mailbox should not be a problem. There is nothing in the room to steal before you get there. You grab the cards, check the room and then put your "stuff" in there and lock it up.

If the envelope the S&S cards are in has been tampered with, simply get new cards for GS and the lock is reset.

As for a charge on your card if someone else used your folio number, you simply dispute it as it shouldn't have your signature on the receipt.

There, that should take care of it. Move along, nothing more to see here.

Heck, why don't they just lay all the S&S cards on the floor of the gang way and let us pick them up on the way to the ship. That works for me. Kind of like a free excursion- Scavenger hunt for your room.

Seriously, putting the cards in the mailbox should not be a problem. There is nothing in the room to steal before you get there. You grab the cards, check the room and then put your "stuff" in there and lock it up.

If the envelope the S&S cards are in has been tampered with, simply get new cards for GS and the lock is reset.

As for a charge on your card if someone else used your folio number, you simply dispute it as it shouldn't have your signature on the receipt.

There, that should take care of it. Move along, nothing more to see here.

Except why should I spend my first day onboard in the guest services line because they didn't keep my S&S card secure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll play the odds of 100% not having to stand in the 2nd line before waiting to board the ship vs the very small percentage of a chance of having to go to GS. Doesn't seem to be an issue on ships that are actually doing it this way.

It helps to be Diamond/Platinum/FTTF for GS line if needed. I'm surprised no one has labeled this as a conspiracy theory to sell more FTTF although it seems like it's sold out on every cruise anyway. Or maybe as a justification to raise the price again.

I'm surprised no one has labeled this as a conspiracy theory to sell more FTTF although it seems like it's sold out on every cruise anyway. Or maybe as a justification to raise the price again.

Shhhhhhh.......... Now, that will be the next 15 topics started on here.