Need 2nd cruise advise

Lizard930

Took 1st ever cruise on PG in Oct. Now want to plan longer cruise in 2017. Need advise on whether to do 10 night Tuomotus or 11 night Cook and what time of year. Welcome your input. Thanks

Jill

Budget , budget and budget. I look at cruises with what the budget can stand.

After our 1st 7 day PG cruise we decided to always take the longest PG cruise we could afford either due to finances or time. We will be taking our 8th or 9th PG cruise and it will be 17 days (Bali to Fiji).

Either of those cruises are nice. Are you a diver or big into water sports? Fiji and Tonga have wonderful diving opportunities. The Marquesas have the least.

Another 7-day is an option. Or if time and budget permit, the 10-day which includes the Tuamotos is also nice. Or, if time and budget permit, a somewhat longer cruise to the Cooks. Or, if time and budget permit, back-to-back 7-day cruises is an option. Or, if time and budget permit, a 14-day cruise up to the Marquesas is lovely. Or, if time and budget permit, ...

Perhaps you're noticing a pattern in the above.

And I'm not even talking about how if time and budget permit, a few days' pre-cruise on Moorea is spectacular. Of if time and budget permit ...

What is nice about the 10, 11 or 14 day cruises on the PG is you get some new you have not experienced as well as getting something familar, the Society Islands. We like new adventures but also returning to areas we love so much, each time we go through the Society Islands we learn more and make local friends who we love to see again and again. As you become the 'expert' you get to share your knowledge with other people who are experiencing it for the first time, sort of like going to Disneyland taking a kid for the first time, you get to Watch and relive your first memory is a French Polynesia.

Best time to go to French Polynesia? Well there's never a bad time to go to French Polynesia, I often say a bad day in French Polynesia is often better than a good day back home. There are trade-offs depending on which time here you go. Eagle in the winter time which is their summertime it can be a little bit more warm and humid but you get a better price. You go in the summertime which is their winter time and the weather is nice but the crowds can be a little larger annual usually pay a little bit more. I love April and May, and September and October, considered the shoulder season. Weathers good crowds are there as if there are ever crouching French Polynesia by let's say Hawaiian standards, aha ha and The prices are typically a little better.

Hope this helps, this will be trip 21 to the South Pacific ;-)

Well Lizard, it's a tough one. I haven't done the Cooks yet, doing that next fall. Keep in mind that it has two seadays, which may make a difference. The Tuamotus has one, plus a half day at sea.

For just intense experiences and beauty, you can't lose with the 7-day, imho, extended appropriately with a pre-cruise stay somewhere nice.

Probably better snorkeling opportunities on the Tuamotus than the Societies, not sure about the Cooks (yet). But other than the water, not much to see in the Tuamotus, whereas the high island scenery is spectacular.

My favourite was still the Marquesas, but it's a long, expensive trip. No snorkeling while you're in the islands, although you pass through the Tuamotus and Societies too, but incredible scenery.

They're all good.

French Polynesia gets in one year the same number of visitors that Hawaii gets in one month per my understanding. Crowds are not a problem.

In part because FP is a French protectorate, they have by far the highest standard of living in the South Pacific. That coupled with the fact that the culture, although amazing and friendly, really aren't into the service industry, means that although we are welcome to visit, it is not really a big deal for them. One nice corollary to this is that, except for the big city of Papete, there are hardly any theme-park overtones.

I've never been to Hawaii, but from what I've heard is "something else" in a fairly negative sense.

The atolls are nice and there are a few good snorkeling spots. The Cooks's, been there 5 times has some nice areas for snorkeling primarily on Atutaki. Fun areas indeed but as I said before you always get th Society Islands tossed in for the incredible scenery.

Never been to the Marqueses, need to some day ......