Formal wear Australia

While we probably come from what many of the younger cruisers would refer to as the older demographic we are pretty laid back and what others wear has had absolutely zero effect on our enjoyment.

As a matter of fact probably the only dress issue that has had any effect on me was the time a young (possibly late teens) girl was knocked back from entry to the MDR (possibly formal night but I cant remember) and was in tears as she left. I had seen her around the ship a few times and she obviously stood out because she was dressed "Goth ?" style. All black, some piercings etc. Never noticed her bothering anyone and so no skin off mine how she dressed.

Same with tats. Work with a lot of younger people who have plenty. Nice kids and treat me with respect. Who am I to judge their choice.

As long as people are not abusive or violent, don't push me out of the way, don't treat the staff poorly I am good to go. I have rarely seen this type of behaviour and when I have seen the very rude it hasn't been confined to dress or socioeconomics either.

We also love to spend as much time cruising as we can afford and the cut prices that are available enable us to spend around 6 weeks to 2 months on a ship each year. Of course I also understand that this will come with some corners cut and that's OK because I always have the choice to book cruises with different cruise lines at higher prices (probably in line with what cruises cost in the good old days) if I want the upper market treatment.

I for one just see a bunch of typical people having fun and being able to be comfortable in their own skin when we cruise. That's a good thing and I cant wait to get amongst it in 11 days.

While we probably come from what many of the younger cruisers would refer to as the older demographic we are pretty laid back and what others wear has had absolutely zero effect on our enjoyment.

As a matter of fact probably the only dress issue that has had any effect on me was the time a young (possibly late teens) girl was knocked back from entry to the MDR (possibly formal night but I cant remember) and was in tears as she left. I had seen her around the ship a few times and she obviously stood out because she was dressed "Goth ?" style. All black, some piercings etc. Never noticed her bothering anyone and so no skin off mine how she dressed.

Same with tats. Work with a lot of younger people who have plenty. Nice kids and treat me with respect. Who am I to judge their choice.

As long as people are not abusive or violent, don't push me out of the way, don't treat the staff poorly I am good to go. I have rarely seen this type of behaviour and when I have seen the very rude it hasn't been confined to dress or socioeconomics either.

We also love to spend as much time cruising as we can afford and the cut prices that are available enable us to spend around 6 weeks to 2 months on a ship each year. Of course I also understand that this will come with some corners cut and that's OK because I always have the choice to book cruises with different cruise lines at higher prices (probably in line with what cruises cost in the good old days) if I want the upper market treatment.

I for one just see a bunch of typical people having fun and being able to be comfortable in their own skin when we cruise. That's a good thing and I cant wait to get amongst it in 11 days.

I agree with you, I was, and now drop in and out of goth. Although when we dress for formal, one wouldn't know. We are very formal orientated (that's what we like).

Was interesting on last cruise, id be huddled,(it was cold) on the prom, having a chuffa. But to get there was an event, all black, top slouchy hat and a head full of piercings.

When id get into a lift, you would have thought someone had chucked in a w.m.d. People would recoil, curl their lips up, not even engage in a hello.

Was crazy like. Just crazy, mad-like. But boy did I meet some great people.

In the end I ditched the metal, was to hard to eat and speak.

But wow the judgement, just freakin wow.

It was tough, but goodness triumphed over evil as it should, but some aspects sure left a bitter taste.

Hope you have a good cruise.:)

I was in the Windjammer Buffet and there was a girl in her twenties walking to the buffet in bare feet. She was normally dressed otherwise. A crew member approached her and told her she could not walk around without shoes on and asked her to go back to her table and put her shoes on.

Formal nights, lots of people love to take the opportunity to dress up but if you turn up to the MDR in long pants and a collared shirt you will be fine. No jacket or tie required.

And yes, the majority of cruisers on the Explorer last week were tattooed. Young girls in their 20s/30s had multiple tattoos and theirs were usually bigger than the guys. Just a sign of the times really. Tattoo removal businesses are going to do a roaring trade in about 10 years time.

Edited by aussielozzie18

\

I wonder what the issue was with her dress. Black and piercings would not preclude her from the MDR. Lack of shoes and possibly ripped jeans/trousers etc would I think earn a few words from the Maitre d'. I hope that he or she explained to the passenger what the dress needed to be so that she could change if able to did not did not just refuse her entry. I have seen some pretty casually dressed/under dressed passengers in the MDR at dinner and it seems a pity if this young girl was refused entry for something minor.

I think the passengers I would really be down on were the group that VK3DO mentioned who were disrespectful and acting like louts.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I agree with you, I was, and now drop in and out of goth. Although when we dress for formal, one wouldn't know. We are very formal orientated (that's what we like).

Was interesting on last cruise, id be huddled,(it was cold) on the prom, having a chuffa. But to get there was an event, all black, top slouchy hat and a head full of piercings.

When id get into a lift, you would have thought someone had chucked in a w.m.d. People would recoil, curl their lips up, not even engage in a hello.

Was crazy like. Just crazy, mad-like. But boy did I meet some great people.

In the end I ditched the metal, was to hard to eat and speak.

But wow the judgement, just freakin wow.

It was tough, but goodness triumphed over evil as it should, but some aspects sure left a bitter taste.

Hope you have a good cruise.:)

Yeah, but some people judge over everything.

I had one woman look me up and down and say "You'll be a big boy when you finish growing won't you". Mrs Gut (God love her) was fuming and replied, "But I bet you're still rude if you ever grow up".

I've also been taken to task because I used a wheelchair to board but was later "Walking just fine".

So just let it be water off the ducks back, it let Mrs Gut loose on them, whatever works best.

Yeah, but some people judge over everything.

I had one woman look me up and down and say "You'll be a big boy when you finish growing won't you". Mrs Gut (God love her) was fuming and replied, "But I bet you're still rude if you ever grow up".

I've also been taken to task because I used a wheelchair to board but was later "Walking just fine".

So just let it be water off the ducks back, it let Mrs Gut loose on them, whatever works best.

yep, yep, we get it.

But we guess these groups that cluster together and judge are so pathetically weak.

Young, old, everyone should be able to cruise and respect each-other, if each other is doing no-harm.

Oh we have our ways, which we drive right up in their face, if we need to, quite innocent of course.

They back down like anything.

What I love is the ones that get ostracized by their original group, because they act like peanuts. Then they come snivelling around, they usually get the short shift outright, maybe with a "You didn't want to know us in the beginning, why now".

Again we learnt a lot from this cruise.:)

I really don't understand why people always want to break the rules or push the boundaries just because they are on holidays. I have seen people on cruises who seem to have split personalities compared to when they are not. At home they conform to the standards of work and play but when on leave, it gets left behind along with the manners and patience.

Some of it is a group mentality thing - have seen groups of Australians overseas that just make me cringe. Same thing on a cruise. Being in a mob seems to be an excuse for bad behaviour at times. I know it's not just Australians and not just those travelling in groups and there are many others out there who seem to lose all sense of good behaviour when they travel. One of the things we have to put up with at times.

Some of it is a group mentality thing - have seen groups of Australians overseas that just make me cringe. Same thing on a cruise. Being in a mob seems to be an excuse for bad behaviour at times. I know it's not just Australians and not just those travelling in groups and there are many others out there who seem to lose all sense of good behaviour when they travel. One of the things we have to put up with at times.

Agreed, it can be very embarrassing.:o

Agreed, it can be very embarrassing.:o

Hi Folks

Just smile and act as if your mother and father were watching you :D

Despite everything we had a wonderful cruise and had no issues , just observations..

It was a little upsetting to see the lack of respect shown in the church on the Isle of pines .

But the contrast in "Grooming" between the crew and passengers was quite apparent.

As I said if I was a prospective employer I would have to look twice at some of the passengers ......:cool:

We just smiled and enjoyed our cruise and were willing to pass the time of day with anyone on board who was willing to chat with us

Best regards

john

Edited by VK3DQ

Alarming to read the last page of this! Hope I'm not overdressed next week. [fortunately mine's quite long, probably a good chance this won't happen]

There is no such thing as over-dressed, IMHO. On all the cruises we have done so far we've always dressed up - tux for DH and a long dress for me plus some bling. We don't care what other people wear, we enjoy the glamour of dressing up. Of course, it is nicer if people around you are dressed well as it adds to the general ambience of the night but really all that's important is that they aren't grubby and smelly.

On our last two cruises I've been thrilled by people coming up to me and complimenting me on my outfits.

Actually on Carnival the constant presence of the photographers in the Lobby Bar every night did seem to encourage people to dress nicely in the evenings, although there were a few that seemed to want to stay in their shorts, tshirts with slogans (yes, there was a XXXX one), ballcaps, carrying stubby holders for their beers and, unfortunately, some of them didn't look as if they had showered before heading out for a drink and dinner. :rolleyes: Did that spoil our cruise? No way! :D

Some of you might remember the post I made a while ago about the guy who tried to razz DH about wearing "formal" clothes on our last Princess cruise on a smart casual night. He was actually wearing dark blue chinos, a white linen short sleeved shirt, and a dark blue linen jacket.

When we went up to book dinner in the Nouveau restaurant on Carnival, where the dress code is "cruise casual", the hostess looked at what we were wearing and, in a rather snooty manner, informed us that our outfits were perfectly suitable for dinner in the restaurant. DH was wearing off-white chinos, plus the same white shirt and jacket, and I had on one of my regular smart casual outfits of black dressy pants, black silky shell top, and a floaty loose open top over that (which, incidentally, someone had complimented me about on a Princess cruise). We were a bit taken aback initially by the hostess' comments but then saw the humour in it and were quite obviously laughing about it as we walked away. The hostess was much more polite when we returned for our meal. :rolleyes:

Some of you might remember the post I made a while ago about the guy who tried to razz DH about wearing "formal" clothes o

Yep remember that, if we had seen it, we would have been all over D.H, saying things to the other idiot like, mmmh, well we got him and you got, Oh an empty V.B stubbie. ENJOY. And isn't he so handsome and well dressed, and what a man. OMG we would have made such a fuss over him.

P/S O.K.J, via the first actions, D.H would have been very safe, lol.

But seriously we like making a fuss over the great men we meet.

And we meet a few .Quite a few, good men out there.:):)

Yep remember that, if we had seen it, we would have been all over D.H, saying things to the other idiot like, mmmh, well we got him and you got, Oh an empty V.B stubbie. ENJOY. And isn't he so handsome and well dressed, and what a man. OMG we would have made such a fuss over him.

P/S O.K.J, via the first actions, D.H would have been very safe, lol.

But seriously we like making a fuss over the great men we meet.

And we meet a few .Quite a few, good men out there.:):)

I'm sure he would have enjoyed the attention and no worries on my behalf. ;)

But it was so funny that he seemed to get the opposite reaction from the Carnival hostess, yet he was wearing almost the same clothes - just different coloured chinos. And, again, he was better dressed than 75% (or more) of the men on that ship that night.

January, RCCL, my whole family will be formally dressed on formal night. ladies with formal dresses and heels and the lads with jackets and ties.

Dressing up and having a bit of class is fun sometimes for us.

Smart casual is easy for me. I just won't wear a jacket.

I saw Carnival turn away from the MDR a gentleman who had gone to the trouble of wearing his best (i.e. no slogan) singlet, a nice pair of not recently wet board shorts and a smart pair of fairly new Woolworths thongs (aka flip-flops). He seemed puzzled.

Hi Folks

We returned yesterday from our Explorer of the seas cruise.

Here is what we saw

A large number of young adult males say 18--30 in the dining room with shorts and singlets many of them Heavily tattooed on arms legs and in a number of cases on the face.

This happened on both formal and casual nights.

A large number of them also constantly wore baseball caps at all times

There were a number of "Gangs" roaming the ship and to some people they would appear quite aggressive and frightening

Theres were the same people to ran through the church on the Isle of Pines without removing their hats while the priest was conducting communion.

When I looked at some of these "guests" and then at the immaculately groomed crew I knew who I would offer a job to if I was an employer

Food for thought

Best regards

John

See it in my home city too. Let me guess... In a nice restaurant the blokes will be wearing black tee shirts, have steroid issues and their female companions (if present) will be dressed more formally. Total disrespect for social values. Lots of bikes will be parked haphazardly outside. Got the picture?

Edited by ChrisOz

January, RCCL, my whole family will be formally dressed on formal night. ladies with formal dresses and heels and the lads with jackets and ties.

Smart casual is easy for me. I just won't wear a jacket.

I saw Carnival turn away from the MDR a gentleman who had gone to the trouble of wearing his best (i.e. no slogan) singlet, a nice pair of not recently wet board shorts and a smart pair of fairly new Woolworths thongs (aka flip-flops). He seemed puzzled.

See it in my home city too. Let me guess... In a nice restaurant the blokes will be wearing black tee shirts, have steroid issues and their female companions (if present) will be dressed more formally. Total disrespect for social values. Lots of bikes will be parked haphazardly outside. Got the picture?

On Explorer I saw no one turned away from the dining room , including a couple of very scruffy men ....

We always insist on our own table for a number of reasons one being that I am rather deaf and people do find conversation we me in a noisy place to be an issue so I prefer to dine "en famalie" . However this does make for great people watching which I must say me enjoy :p

Its quite true that some men looked as if they had not washed or changed any clothes all day when coming to the dining room .

Most of the ladies looked as if they had made an effort but there were a few noticable exceptions IE one very long legged lady with short riped denim shorts and very little else was admitted for dinner with not a glance.

It would appear on our cruise at least that there we no attempt made to "enforce" the dress code in any way ,,,,

Regards

John

Tell your ladies to be careful of the height of the heels - high heels and rocking ships don't alwyas go well together. I wear low heeled dressy sandals in the evenings.

It is a challenge, we find these help.

When one falls, one wont graze ones calfs, or knees

I dunno! :confused: If you fell the wrong way all those buckles could do some serious damage. :eek:

I did notice a couple of young things carefully walking in bare feet, carrying their very high heels, on one of the rougher nights of the Carnival cruise. :D

Personal experience has shown that most cruise lines no longer enforce the rules.

Sometimes they may suggest to a passenger or group that they are not dressed as per code. Most of these will go and get changed but some if challenge the suggestion and cause a fuss, then the staff member quickly backs down and they let it slide.