booking with German travel agent

Michidoeme

We usually book through an on-line US travel agent, although living in Europe. Now I wanted to try via a German agent, but have questions as we are so used to the US easy way of re-booking, cancelling outside of final payment, etc. These things are not clear from their Booking Terms and Conditions, therefore I would appreciate if someone with the German experience could comment.

1. Do they also let you make upgrades to a higher category if prices drop, or is it cancel and rebook with corresponding costs ?

2. I guess the 10 % down payment is lost if I make a cancellation, or can it be transferred to another cruises ?

3. If better located cabin in same category becomes available, will they make change as well ?

4. Can I take it that all Captain's Club benefits ; 1 cat upgrade, savings certificates, etc. will be granted when booking in Europe as well ?

You ask terrific questions to which we would also want to know if the agency assesses an additional cancellation penalty or other fees such as if there is a price drop and you want the newer price and/or promotion. But all these questions need to be directed to the specific travel/cruise agency....and it should be done in writing (via e-mail). If the agency refuses to quickly respond to your questions, then perhaps you should take the hint and look elsewhere for your cruise agency.

Hank

I trust the travel agents applies the standard booking conditions for Germany. In this case the answers would be:

1. Upgrade is possible if more expensive, price adjustments downwards not possible at any time.

2. If cancelt deposite is lost, if you change to another a lot more expensive cruise they might be generous....

3. Cabin change within same category is possible

4. One category upgrade if available and other benefits for Captains Club are the same but need to be requested when booking

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Book with a US Travel Agent. Back in 2009 I booked with that German TA because the price was lower, even though I had to pay in Euro. I ran into lots of issues, one being the Euro got stronger so it cost me more dollars. Additionally, I had trouble with them switching cabins, getting price adjustments when Celebrity discounted the cabins, and they definitely would not give me the Military Rate when it was offered. I had big problems servicing my reservation. Never again!!!!

I strongly urge you to book with a US Travel Agent.

You ask terrific questions to which we would also want to know if the agency assesses an additional cancellation penalty or other fees such as if there is a price drop and you want the newer price and/or promotion. But all these questions need to be directed to the specific travel/cruise agency....and it should be done in writing (via e-mail). If the agency refuses to quickly respond to your questions, then perhaps you should take the hint and look elsewhere for your cruise agency.

Hank

This is a very American answer. In Germany trustworthy travel agents do not implement individual and additional charges as this is already very well covered by the cruise lines with not much flexibility and always cancelation penalties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would like to recommend you a german TA only if you are 100% shure you are not willing to change anything.

Thats the good and bad of the german system - contract is binding in both direktions....

example: you are booked into a suite out of Rome for 10 days..

if the cruiseline has the idea: ha now we do charter the ship - here is your deposit back and thats it - not by german law - the have to give you a suite out of rome at the day you have booked it - even if its a different cruise line independent from cost...RCL learned that the hard way.... :)

other example: changing port of call without security needs give you the right to cancel or getting some money back (needs to be a so called "significant change")

Edited by MarkusToe

Hi Markus, thank you for that information. I really didn't know that. We are booked on the Equino next January, they changed port times - no information from my (German) travel agency. I guess, they even don't know....

But usually booking in Germany means you will loose your deposit, so you are bound to that booking.