Blood donation after visiting Roatan FYI

jgh1204

Got a call this morning from my local blood bank asking me to come in and donate platelets. I asked about being deferred after visiting Honduras. The initial answer was yes, I would have to wait one year. After i explained I was only in Mahogany Bay she did some more checking. I was finally cleared to donate since I had only been in the country less than 24 hours.

I only post this because I found a lot of conflicting information in my Internet searches.

Edited by jgh1204

Got a call this morning from my local blood bank asking me to come in and donate platelets. I asked about being deferred after visiting Honduras. The initial answer was yes, I would have to wait one year. After i explained I was only in Mahogany Bay she did some more checking. I was finally cleared to donate since I had only been in the country less than 24 hours.

I only post this because I found a lot of conflicting information in my Internet searches.

The denial box is for mainland areas, but can be interpreted differently by different collection agencies or someone new or lacking a sense or knowledge of geography. I have donated blood after spending a week on Roatan.

A lot of people working at blood banks and bloodmobiles don't know this, but "Travel to a malaria-endemic area" is defined by the CDC as being there for more than 24 hours.

"Travel to a malaria-endemic area - Any travel to or through a malaria-endemic area or areas, as identified by CDC (see definition above). *The duration of travel to a malaria-endemic area is defined as more than 24 hours to less than 5 years. "

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/Blood/ucm365191.htm

On a cruise ship, your time in Mahogany Bay will generally be less than 24 hours, meaning that you did NOT travel to Honduras, as defined by the CDC for purposes of blood donation deferrals.