Do Any Ships Still Have the Redundant Generator Up on Deck?

Je Souhaite

Why do you consider it an eyesore? It's placed in a low volume space, and most cruisers won't even recognize what it's there for. I was actually happy to see it after watching news vids of ships without power.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't share it with you. Happy cruising!

Why do you consider it an eyesore? It's placed in a low volume space, and most cruisers won't even recognize what it's there for. I was actually happy to see it after watching news vids of ships without power.

Agree. Now that they don't have the big "CAT" signs on them (or they are covered up) they don't even elicit a second glance.

Yeah. Actually they are just small shipping containers that look like generators with CAT signs on them.:rolleyes:

No CAT signs any longer. Painted a nice shade of green with Carnival sign on it. Use to see big cables running out from them but last two didn't. So I guess they have to connect when needed.

I had a friend who use to service them and helped with installing them. It was great duty. I think they do it in house now.

No CAT signs any longer. Painted a nice shade of green with Carnival sign on it. Use to see big cables running out from them but last two didn't. So I guess they have to connect when needed.

I had a friend who use to service them and helped with installing them. It was great duty. I think they do it in house now.

While I am not sure and am sure I will be corrected by my friends here, while on the Splendor a couple of years back we saw them working on the backup generator. They removed those lines and I think "direct connected" it during the week. This was done during our sailing throughout the week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They actually lifted the box off?

Sent from my iPhone

The plan was that these were always going to be temporary. This kind of installation cannot be considered a permanent solution. Carnival's original statement was that they were either going to have a permanent additional generator, or were going to reconfigure the power distribution so that there would be less likelihood of total hotel power failure. Given the mandated loads on the existing emergency generator, and the limitations on what can and cannot be connected to the emergency generator, I don't see that this was an option. I also doubted that they would find space for another designated standby generator the size of the emergency. I believe they feel they have met their proposal by the rerouting of the main generator cables from the forward engine room to outside the engine rooms, rather than through the aft engine room, which is what caused the problem on both the Splendor and Triumph. This more genuinely segregates the two engine rooms, so that a fire in one will not take out the other, so total loss of power is less likely. This is more in line with what other lines have in their older ships that do not meet the Safe Return to Port requirements.

The plan was that these were always going to be temporary. This kind of installation cannot be considered a permanent solution. Carnival's original statement was that they were either going to have a permanent additional generator, or were going to reconfigure the power distribution so that there would be less likelihood of total hotel power failure. Given the mandated loads on the existing emergency generator, and the limitations on what can and cannot be connected to the emergency generator, I don't see that this was an option. I also doubted that they would find space for another designated standby generator the size of the emergency. I believe they feel they have met their proposal by the rerouting of the main generator cables from the forward engine room to outside the engine rooms, rather than through the aft engine room, which is what caused the problem on both the Splendor and Triumph. This more genuinely segregates the two engine rooms, so that a fire in one will not take out the other, so total loss of power is less likely. This is more in line with what other lines have in their older ships that do not meet the Safe Return to Port requirements.

Thanks......as always.

Life jackets are ugly. They should get rid of those too :-p

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No. It's just that 3 years later, you'd think that they would have a permanent solution in place.

The permanent solution requires a drydocking, so as those ships become due for drydocking, the work is done.

Edit; I'm getting too CC, using "drydock" too freely. It doesn't require a drydocking, but it does require a couple of weeks out of service, so it is scheduled for the statutory drydock.

Edited by chengkp75

The permanent solution requires a drydocking, so as those ships become due for drydocking, the work is done.

Edit; I'm getting too CC, using "drydock" too freely. It doesn't require a drydocking, but it does require a couple of weeks out of service, so it is scheduled for the statutory drydock.

Most of these ships are old enough that they should have cycled through their scheduled maintenance period by now, no?