Best Port Everglades Hotel For Photographing The Ships

DENNICH

I am looking for some advice for getting the hotel that gives me the best options for photographing the ships in Port Everglades. I currently have the Embassy Suites booked for one of the higher floors. I have read that you can see the ships from the higher rooms. I know that I will need to be situated in one of the east facing room to get a my shots. This hotel seems to be a touch far away to get a good shot though.

I am now reconsidering and I am tempted by one of the higher rooms at the Fort Lauderdale Marina hotel, or the Hyatt Pier 66. I have seen some of the shots from the Hyatt and they are gorgeous. Even the shots of the pool and the yachts at the Hyatt make it so tempting.

I guess another option is to stay at the Embassy Suites and then just walk to the 17th street bridge and take some images from there. The Embassy Suites seems to be more convenient for making a soda, water, and wine run before the cruise too. Decisions. Decisions. :)

I would appreciate some advice from any photographers that have stayed at these hotels. Thanks in advance for any information given.

Denise

We stayed at the Embassy Suites prior to our cruise a few years back. Loved the hotel. It was very close to a supermarket so we could get our last minute bits and pieces. Had a great breakfast there as well.

From our room we could see our ship. Please forgive the terrible photo. I'm not a photographer. Just thought Id share so you could see.

P1040698.jpg

The Hilton Marina definitely has the nicest angle to the port and the ships, and the best shooting views since it's shooting over the bridge and water...from the higher rooms and with a zoom lens you could get some lovely shots of the ships and great wide views of the entire cruise port area. Suites have large balconies too - so any south-facing room will give the nice views.

As mentioned, any of the hotels provides a simple walk to the bridge for the nicest views too. And depending on whether you'll be there more than the night of your cruise, if you're there for any of the ships departing the day before your cruise, you'll want to drive down to the south end of Ft. Lauderdale beach to access the jetty, or head around the port to the south side and John Lloyd Park, to get lovely shots of the ships leaving the channel (though in winter, Lloyd park will likely close too soon to catch them leaving - so the north jetty is your best access point).

Pier 66 will give you a better view because it's closer. We normally stay at the Embassy. In the morning I take the elevator to the top floor and you get a great view of the harbour, if you get up early you can see the ships coming in.

Allan

We stayed at the Embassy Suites prior to our cruise a few years back. Loved the hotel. It was very close to a supermarket so we could get our last minute bits and pieces. Had a great breakfast there as well.

From our room we could see our ship. Please forgive the terrible photo. I'm not a photographer. Just thought Id share so you could see.

P1040698.jpg

Thank you for posting this image. It really helps me to envision the views that I will see from the hotel. Thanks for the hotel information too.

Denise

The Marina is right on the corner and from southern rooms, you can see the port. The view is ok but any of those hotels and a brief walk to the bridge is a better view.

Dave

The Hilton Marina definitely has the nicest angle to the port and the ships, and the best shooting views since it's shooting over the bridge and water...from the higher rooms and with a zoom lens you could get some lovely shots of the ships and great wide views of the entire cruise port area. Suites have large balconies too - so any south-facing room will give the nice views.

As mentioned, any of the hotels provides a simple walk to the bridge for the nicest views too. And depending on whether you'll be there more than the night of your cruise, if you're there for any of the ships departing the day before your cruise, you'll want to drive down to the south end of Ft. Lauderdale beach to access the jetty, or head around the port to the south side and John Lloyd Park, to get lovely shots of the ships leaving the channel (though in winter, Lloyd park will likely close too soon to catch them leaving - so the north jetty is your best access point).

Thank you so much, Dave and Justin. I was hoping that the two of you would respond. I really respect your knowledge and appreciate your willingness to help out on these boards. I am still undecided but I am leaning towards staying at Embassy Suites and walking down to the bridge.

Denise

That should work fine. I haven't stayed at any of these, since I live down here - but I'm very familiar with each location and what they see of the port - the Pier 66 looks over land to most of the ships and Embassy over the port and oil tanks...the Hilton has the 'cleanest' view. But the bridge will be the best spot to get a view to most of the ships.

Embassy suites is closer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for your help. :)

Thanks to marysb and Allan of Ski WW too. Allan, thanks for your tip about the top floor views at Embassy Suites. Cruise Critic is such an awesome place for information sharing.