Uneven distribution of travelers in cabins: Can we split?

NYCNomNom

Hi there! I just found this forum and you guys have been so helpful! I tried searching for this but had no luck:

We have an uneven distribution of travelers in our cabin. We are a couple with a 2-year-old baby (at sailing time) and we will also be sailing with my father, who is solo. I hate the idea of paying for both my son as an almost full person (since he won't be partaking in so much of what we pay for) AND my father to be solo in a cabin and paying for a FULL second person in that room.

Should I purchase as if my son is in my father's room so that satisfies the 2 people in there even if he sleeps in our room? (And chances are he may sleep in other family rooms on some nights depending on if they are babysitting while my husband and I have a night out).

I'm sure that's frowned upon by the cruise industry but I was curious if anyone else has done this and if it's common?

Which cruise line? Cruise lines have different rules as to how you can book. And how is the toddler (he's not a baby anymore) going to sleep? Can he sleep in a crib/pack-n-play? If you book him with you, you have to have a cabin that sleeps three. Many of those have an upper bunk for the third/fourth passenger. Some have a couch for the third. If you book him in with granddad but plan to have him sleep with you, you would have to have a bed for him. Not a problem if you have a packNplay, you can just move it around. But if the cabin only has an upper...would he sleep with you? And yes, he WILL be partaking of much of what you pay for. He uses sheets, towels, steward empties the trash of diapers...He WILL be eating food in the dining room or buffet, and making a typical toddler mess that wait staff have to clean up. And if you choose to eat in the dining room, the waiters will keep him entertained and supplied with the type of food he likes. EM

I've done this a few times when cruising with a friend along with my twin toddlers. Once on board, they don't care where your child sleeps. We've always had the two cabins close to each other with the same cabin attendant, so tipping wasn't an issue - he got the same amount no matter who slept where. It would be more complicated if you have different attendants (I wouldn't want the one taking care of your father to be tipped less than for 2, but want to tip extra for the child).

If he will sleep with you or in a pack n' play, you then don't have to worry about a cabin for 3, you can get two cabins for 2.

Best,

Mia

Edited by Kerry's Girls

One note - make sure the two cabins are as close to each other as possible, so you all get assigned to the same muster station. I know the likelihood of an emergency is quite rare but it is better to be safe than sorry. We just witnessed a family get quite upset that their children were assigned to a different lifeboat because they booked them into different cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check the prices. It might just be cheaper to pay the way you booked, as the 3rd person is often so cheap.

In this scenario - no. It would be paying for 3 in a room and then pay for the solo plus the imaginary person thus paying for 2 or 1. OR they can pay for two in one cabin and two in the other cabin. The solo would have to pay full price so it would be a winner doing it that way. That bars, of course, if the solo price in unusually cheap.

• 1 month later...
One note - make sure the two cabins are as close to each other as possible, so you all get assigned to the same muster station. I know the likelihood of an emergency is quite rare but it is better to be safe than sorry. We just witnessed a family get quite upset that their children were assigned to a different lifeboat because they booked them into different cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would book Mother and child in one room,and the 2 adult males in the other room to avoid this scenario.

I agree... Never had an issue shuffling people. I do try to book the child with at least one parent, for life boat issues and to avoid requiring any legal forms giving the adult permission to travel with the child. Might never be an issue, but this has always been our strategy. Grandma often travels with us and we often book someone in her room if there is no break for single travelers. Sometimes she does share, other times it is just on paper. Make sure the person is linked to your expense account so your father will not wind up paying extra tips.