upgrading room once on ship is this possible?

bklynfinest77

i was wondering can you upgrade rooms once onboard if there availability? would it be cheaper? and if so how do you go about it?

The ability to do this is extremely rare.

A cruise ship isn't Vegas where room occupancy is 60%.

Cruise ships sail at 99.9% at capacity.

There will be signs telling you that no upgrades are available.

i was wondering can you upgrade rooms once onboard if there availability? would it be cheaper? and if so how do you go about it?

Don't even bother trying. The days of upgrading once onboard are long gone.

Take care,

Mike

Those days are gone.

What they do now is if they have suites, balconies and ocean views available, they fill those with folks that have a insides for a price and moving up the cabin types until all are full. As the lower category is easier to sell than the higher one.

Its easier to move someone from a balcony to a suite, and then fill the empty balcony rather than trying to sell the suite.

I can say I've seen a sign EVERY CRUISE that states no rooms are available. I came to realize this is to simply keep people from asking. And never understood why, if someone wanted a different room, why didn't they just book it.

They are always a small number of empty rooms, starting with people that miss the ship or cancel at the last minute. People are moved to them all the time when things go wrong.

Shhhhh!

Those days are gone.

What they do now is if they have suites, balconies and ocean views available, they fill those with folks that have a insides for a price and moving up the cabin types until all are full. As the lower category is easier to sell than the higher one.

Its easier to move someone from a balcony to a suite, and then fill the empty balcony rather than trying to sell the suite.

when do they do that and how would you know if you can upgrade

when do they do that and how would you know if you can upgrade

It can be at anytime, usually around 6 weeks prior to the cruise and up until a couple of days before sailing. Most times it's and Upsell, which will have an additional cost to move but other times its an Upgrade at no cost.

They will call you or your travel agent.

If you check bookings these days almost every Carnival ship is sailing fully booked. Also, if you are booked in a lower priced cabin, a few weeks before sail date you will start getting calls asking if you would like to upgrade to a more expensive cabin. Carnival works very hard to make sure the pricier cabins are full prior to sailing.

Apparently people still try though, has anyone ever been successful?

• 2 weeks later...
Those days are gone.

Load is determined by the number of spots on lifeboats and rafts. It has nothing to do with if there are empty rooms or not. I would say there are almost always some empty rooms on all ships. However, they cannot be sold because the population of passengers in other rooms have filled the lifeboats and rafts. Therefore, they cannot sell another room just because it is empty. Selling an upgrade to someone does not reduce the number of passengers on the ship, so their old room probably cannot be sold to an additional passenger.

If you ask at the port, they will tell you to check with Guest Services.

When you check with Guest Services, they will tell you to come back after the ship has sailed.

By that time, you've already settled in your current cabin, had two drinks and can't be bothered anymore.

The ability to do this is extremely rare.

A cruise ship isn't Vegas where room occupancy is 60%.

Cruise ships sail at 99.9% at capacity.

Well, that's the official line, anyway.

In actual practice, not so much.

During one Behind the Fun tour on a ship that had "sailed full," the chef de cuisine told us the normal food budget for our 5-day cruise was $220,000 but, "because we're at 70% on this sailing it's less this time." The guy next to me grunted like he'd been punched in the belly and whispered to me "Wow. I offered to pay for an upgrade to a balcony when we boarded but they said they were sailing full!"

They are always a small number of empty rooms, starting with people that miss the ship or cancel at the last minute. People are moved to them all the time when things go wrong.

Shhhhh!

Yep, THIS does happen. Years ago on Liberty, our oceanview stateroom wasn't getting any real air-conditioning; the air was moist. I wasn't comfortable there, but moreover my sister has medical issues, so we had to take action.

After going back and forth to Guest Services several times (FttF saves the day!) I finally invoked Carnival's Vacation Guarantee to have them fly us back to Miami from the first non-U.S. port.

.....So THEN they found a room that we could move to -- a balcony.

THAT particular sailing was quite full, though: the people who had booked that balcony had canceled at the last minute, and it may well have been the ONLY available stateroom. (We weren't about to complain, though!)

Well, that's the official line, anyway.

In actual practice, not so much.

During one Behind the Fun tour on a ship that had "sailed full," the chef de cuisine told us the normal food budget for our 5-day cruise was $220,000 but, "because we're at 70% on this sailing it's less this time." The guy next to me grunted like he'd been punched in the belly and whispered to me "Wow. I offered to pay for an upgrade to a balcony when we boarded but they said they were sailing full!"

Yep, THIS does happen. Years ago on Liberty, our oceanview stateroom wasn't getting any real air-conditioning; the air was moist. I wasn't comfortable there, but moreover my sister has medical issues, so we had to take action.

After going back and forth to Guest Services several times (FttF saves the day!) I finally invoked Carnival's Vacation Guarantee to have them fly us back to Miami from the first non-U.S. port.

.....So THEN they found a room that we could move to -- a balcony.

THAT particular sailing was quite full, though: the people who had booked that balcony had canceled at the last minute, and it may well have been the ONLY available stateroom. (We weren't about to complain, though!)

Wow that was some luck but I agree they always have a few room available I think more for issue like that... I was actually told when they upgraded me that they might change my room again to equal or better room cause I'm in a room that has 5 beds and it only 2 of us

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

i was wondering can you upgrade rooms once onboard if there availability?

At this point, as far as the corporate office, revenue management and accounting departments are concerned, the sailing is "closed" and the booking revenue is what it is. There is no interest or incentive from the cruise lines or the ship's Guest Services department to increase booking revenue any further.

If you sail during a hurricane you might be able to upgrade. I went from an inside to a balcony for free on my last cruise. There was only 1000 passengers on the Pride. All I did was ask.

I would call this set of circumstances a rare exception.