Callao/Lima Advice

fred 15

We will be arriving in Callao next year. Most flights depart Lima after midnight.

Since we have been there before, we do not plan on staying over, but will do our own air to SFO. Anyone have experience with this timing? How is the O program with transfers and day room? Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks

I've read complaints about Oceania and other cruise line day rooms. I would make independent arrangements.

We disembarked Marina this past April and had prearranged a day room at the airport Wyndham. We had booked a private guide for a tour transfer.

Our schedule changed due to an onboard medical situation and we arrived a day early. We changed our flight to go home a day early. We canceled the Wyndham so I cannot comment on how it was.

Lima/Callao were dirty and gritty. Lots of pickpockets. Do not wander around on your own. Pre book some kind of transfer.

The port is huge, it was a ten minute shuttle to the port gate. Hordes of taxi people descend upon you and surround you, offering rides and some want to pick your pocket.

Edited by sammiedawg

We debarked Callao in April of this year.If you debark the ship on your own, you have to physically take you luggage on the Port shuttle bus and find your ride at the port gate. The gate plaza is chaotic. You have to drag your luggage to your hired transport. The street is cobbled and there are many taxi drivers hustling for your business First time it's a bit startling. Whoever is your transport should know this and have a person with a sign at the gate. There is no parking for driverless cars and the police are strict. Don't be discouraged, we had no clue and Oceania had zero info. So this info makes you 10,000 percent more knowledgeable than we were. Per some pax on our cruise there are hotels in the vicinity of the airport that offer day beds. We stayed several days in Miraflores so we can't speak from experience.

Be aware Callao is a rough port town. Do not plan on roaming the streets. The police told us not to walk beyond the Gate Plaza.

When we were in Lima/Callao in 2014, we did a cooking demo with a local that was lots of fun. If you want something fun to do before you head to the airport, you might check it out. We did it in conjunction with a city tour, but it could easily be done as a half-day with just the cooking demo, or customized to fit your needds. Aaron was very personable, as was his mother, Denmar. I wrote about it in this blog post. Aaron's website is here.

Edited by h2so4

Thinking an O transfer might be the easiest. From the ship to the bus............... no hefting luggage or running the gauntlet.

We self disembarked with our luggage, the shuttle bus was by the gangway. The luggage was placed into the shuttle bus cargo area with driver assistance. We had hakutours waiting for us at the port entrance and our name was on their sign. They transferred us to the airport terminal. Originally they were going to give us a tour, then transfer to the Wyndham hotel where we had a room reserved.

If you have a full day to kill you might want to find a tour/transfer combination. Then book your own hotel room, at least you can rest and shower before your flight.

You can investigate what Oceania offers but from memory the available transfer was to a hotel and passengers were supposed to have the use of a conference room as a holding area to kill the day. Post cruise I read complaints but I don't remember the specifics.

In any event killing time waiting for a red eye flight is challenging.

We sailed into Callao in April 2015. I went on to Machu Picchu, wife didn't want to go, so she would be on her own for the day. She booked a half day tour of Lima through the ship, which turned out to be closer to a full day, ended about 4:30. She enjoyed it, said it was quite good. Since the flight was about midnight I booked her into a room at the Ramada Hotel at the airport, so at check-in time all she had to do was go across a skywalk and downstairs. She said the hotel was fine and she felt safe. It worked out fairly well, hotel wasn't that expensive.

We did this because we also learned ahead of time that most areas of Callao and Lima are not the best for touristas to be walking around in on their own.

Edited by Sopwith

We self disembarked with our luggage, the shuttle bus was by the gangway. The luggage was placed into the shuttle bus cargo area with driver assistance. We had hakutours waiting for us at the port entrance and our name was on their sign. They transferred us to the airport terminal. Originally they were going to give us a tour, then transfer to the Wyndham hotel where we had a room reserved.

If you have a full day to kill you might want to find a tour/transfer combination. Then book your own hotel room, at least you can rest and shower before your flight.

You can investigate what Oceania offers but from memory the available transfer was to a hotel and passengers were supposed to have the use of a conference room as a holding area to kill the day. Post cruise I read complaints but I don't remember the specifics.

In any event killing time waiting for a red eye flight is challenging.

Interesting, our experience was no assistance and the bus driver just dumped all the departing pax luggage on the sidewalk outside the gate and left back for the ship. Since there were no Oceania reps outside the port you were on your own. For clarity we had 4 big roller bags.

I've read complaints about Oceania and other cruise line day rooms. I would make independent arrangements.

We disembarked Marina this past April and had prearranged a day room at the airport Wyndham. We had booked a private guide for a tour transfer.

Our schedule changed due to an onboard medical situation and we arrived a day early. We changed our flight to go home a day early. We canceled the Wyndham so I cannot comment on how it was.

Lima/Callao were dirty and gritty. Lots of pickpockets. Do not wander around on your own. Pre book some kind of transfer.

The port is huge, it was a ten minute shuttle to the port gate. Hordes of taxi people descend upon you and surround you, offering rides and some want to pick your pocket.

That the way to do it I agree Lima/Callo is a nasty place to be out in..

I used the Marriott by the airport.

I too have spent 6 hour layovers in the airport which is beautiful.... if a club member they have a nice one and a one you can purchase a day membership...

That the way to do it I agree Lima/Callo is a nasty place to be out in..

I used the Marriott by the airport.

I too have spent 6 hour layovers in the airport which is beautiful.... if a club member they have a nice one and a one you can purchase a day membership...

We were just there on O last month. Lima is a hell hole. Be cautious as it is quite scary out there.

I think it's fair to say that Callao is a hellhole, but the "nice" parts of Lima are probably not. I'll find out in February.

We stayed at the Country Club Lima hotel and that was nice. Ventured out for a walk in the "nice area" and noticed all of the nice homes had armed guards standing in front of their gates. We realized we had better get out of there and took a taxi to Mira Flores and walked along the sea and park. Be very cautious..you will understand what I mean when you arrive ;-))

We stayed at the Country Club Lima hotel and that was nice. Ventured out for a walk in the "nice area" and noticed all of the nice homes had armed guards standing in front of their gates. We realized we had better get out of there and took a taxi to Mira Flores and walked along the sea and park. Be very cautious..you will understand what I mean when you arrive ;-))

We're staying in Miraflores. Not the first third world country we've ventured into. Except around the hotel, we'll use guides.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We did this in the opposite direction -- flew in to Lima, took a 6 day private tour to Machu Picchu and environs, then came back to board the ship. Our private tour included a city tour the morning we boarded the ship. We were in great hotels in easy areas, so I can't speak to the problems others have mentioned ... but I don't doubt them.

The main reason I'm chiming in is because our guide brought us right up to the ship in our van but there was an incredibly long line of people waiting to board. So I believe the reports that leaving the ship was incredibly difficult!

While normally we don't book ship transfers, I think if we were back in Lima (probably not likely), we would do so there. For the record, we didn't feel threatened at all when touring Lima. But then we were with a guide who knew where to take us!

Mura

We were just there on O last month. Lima is a hell hole. Be cautious as it is quite scary out there.

Lima, and frankly Buenos Aires, Rio,Montivedo, and almost every " so american port town" is pretty much third world nasty/dangerous. One visit 2 years ago was our first and last.... Once out of the big cities and coastal towns in the countryside its way better....but getting through the "danger zones" is.....an experience.. Be on high alert at all times.... you will see why... Callo is a baptism in reality

Lima, and frankly Buenos Aires, Rio,Montivedo, and almost every " so american port town" is pretty much third world nasty/dangerous. One visit 2 years ago was our first and last.... Once out of the big cities and coastal towns in the countryside its way better....but getting through the "danger zones" is.....an experience.. Be on high alert at all times.... you will see why... Callo is a baptism in reality

Exactly! We did love the Chilean Fjords, penguins, Ushuaia,Patagonia area, and loved that scary place called Rio. If you are cautious in Rio, it is one of the most beautiful ports we have ever been to.

For those just visiting Lima with Oceania (ie not starting/finishing the cruise, just visiting), what sort of free shuttle, if any, does Oceania run? My googling suggests other cruise lines run a shuttle from the port to a shopping center in Miraflores. Is this the case with Oceania?

We tend not to do guided tours (private or ship run) and just make our own way, but I would rather not run the gauntlet of the Calleo port by the sound of it.

I believe that there was a shuttle to Miraflores.

That said, there is not much historical there to see - just some shopping and nice houses. If that is what you want to do in Lima then you should be all set.

However, I would suggest that you make an exception to your "rules" and arrange for a guide in Lima (private or group). He/she will make the most of your time there, show you the most important sights and look after your safety (not to mention get you safely from place to place).

There is much history there to see and explore.

JMO

You really don't (should not) want to "make your own way" in Lima. Please make arrangements in advance with a reputable travel service that will pick you up at the port and take you to Miraflores or wherever you might want to go. I would be surprised if O offered a shuttle service but could be wrong and defer to Paulchili. Without traffic and by cab, it could take as little as 1/2 hour to get there but then again, with normal Lima traffic, could be 2 hours plus to get to Miraflores. Stunning coastal views/parks and many restaurants but not much else in that immediate area. We stayed in Miraflores and walked to several great restaurants (even at night) but had private guides to take us to historic areas that were afar.

This is what search for Miraflores revealed in the thread for port shuttles:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=95700569

And this (see post # 121):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37214390&highlight=Miraflores#post37214390

PS - this info is from 2013. Whether this is still the case I do not know.

Edited by Paulchili

This is what search for Miraflores revealed in the thread for port shuttles:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=95700569

And this (see post # 121):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37214390&highlight=Miraflores#post37214390

PS - this info is from 2013. Whether this is still the case I do not know.

Thanks! I guess I should have started there.

You really don't (should not) want to "make your own way" in Lima. Please make arrangements in advance with a reputable travel service that will pick you up at the port and take you to Miraflores or wherever you might want to go. I would be surprised if O offered a shuttle service but could be wrong and defer to Paulchili. Without traffic and by cab, it could take as little as 1/2 hour to get there but then again, with normal Lima traffic, could be 2 hours plus to get to Miraflores. Stunning coastal views/parks and many restaurants but not much else in that immediate area. We stayed in Miraflores and walked to several great restaurants (even at night) but had private guides to take us to historic areas that were afar.

Do more research. Get yourself a car and driver from one of the tour companies for the day. There are a lot of beautiful areas in LIma. For instance the "Olive District" is a dead ringer for the Garden District in New Orleans. Stately homes with restaurants interspersed throughout. (ie Astrid y Gaston past best restaurant in SA). Gold Museum is another. Miraflores is walkable during the day. The Larcomar Mall (on a cliff) is super safe.

On the other hand you can do limited Miraflores on the Oceania Bus.

The bus drops you off near the Larcomar Mall and you are on your own. If one gets through traffic(bad), one can walk west to the Indian Market, Kennedy Plaza. Eat some local food. We have had the best vegetarian meals in Lima. Lots of beans and legumes with great spices. Little known fact - Asians were brought into Peru to work the copper mines and there is a lot of fusion in Lima.

I believe that there was a shuttle to Miraflores.

That said, there is not much historical there to see - just some shopping and nice houses. If that is what you want to do in Lima then you should be all set.

However, I would suggest that you make an exception to your "rules" and arrange for a guide in Lima (private or group). He/she will make the most of your time there, show you the most important sights and look after your safety (not to mention get you safely from place to place).

There is much history there to see and explore.

JMO

In April we arrived one day early due to a medical emergency. Oceania ran shuttles to Miraflores, the Marriott was the drop off point. We stayed on board as we were disembarking that evening to fly home a day early. Several announcements were made stating the shuttle schedule was running way behind due to heavy traffic.

We spent 5 days in Lima in April prior to boarding Marina.

We noticed that there were Oceania shuttles dropping people off at the JW Marriott hotel which is right across the road from the Larcomar shopping centre.

However, I was wondering if they were only running shuttles due to the fact the ship arrived a day earlier due to the medical emergency? I wonder if they would run them on a turnaround day? Just a thought.

The Larcomar shopping centre is an open air centre built into the cliff face so there are fabulous views over the ocean and there is also a great restaurant there called Tanta.

We never had any problems walking around Miraflores although if we wanted to go anywhere else we arranged a taxi with the hotel concierge.

I can recommend a tour of the old part of Lima as the buildings are beautiful so it's well worth it. The downside is that the traffic anywhere around the port/airport is horrendous as is the traffic in the city so this eats into your time.

Callao is pretty chaotic although I think departing by ship is probably easier than arriving :eek:but definitely arrange for a private transfer if you are disembarking and staying in Miraflores with is around 25kms from the port.

We really enjoyed our time in Lima and would happily return but of course you do need to be aware of your surroundings.