Sleeveless T Shirts allowed in MDR for Breakfast?

mikeysed

The same reason you would your hat off during the national anthem or pledge of allegiance. It is considered respectful. Customs rarely retain their original reasons for prompting the custom to start, however continued observance is generally considered respectful. That's why they call it a custom. Consequently, failure to observe custom is generally considered disrespectful

Best reasoning in answer to the question. Because there is no practical or logical reason.

If X does not object to wearing a tank top in the MDR then I say go for it. It's your vacation. There will always be someone on the ship not pleased with what someone is wearing. Can't make everyone happy.

Added note: I have found that X customers are are to fixated on what is worn on the ship. I guess I am so focused on having a great time, relaxing, and seeing the sights I don't have time to focus on what others are wearing.

I've seen many guys with sleevless t's and tank tops going to the pool and in the oceanview cafe. I've also seen many guys in TShirts at breakfast.

Tank tops are prohibited in the MDR, Blu, Luminea and any of the specialty restaurants. They are not prohibited in the pool area or in the buffet. However, I fail to see why it is easier to throw on a sleeveless shirt instead of a T-shirt. It;s disgusting when anyone with arm pit hair leans over the self-serve buffet.

How it came to be in the first place.......it was originally considered a sign of peace for a man to remove their hat. Also people wore hats outside to protect from the elements or stuff dropped from above landing on their heads. They took it off inside cause the crap would be on it and they put it back on when leaving. Not taking it off and wearing it inside indicated you had a better place to be. Not respectful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Etiquette, also says that a man stands up when a woman enters a room. How many men do that? Etiquette also says a man (husband or boyfriend, not the waiter) pulls out the seat for a woman. how often does does that happen? So why do those that want to live in the past want to pick and choose trivial things? Etiquette means women in corsets and beign subservient to their male partners? when does that happen. Why ick one thing and ignore all the others?

Etiquette, also says that a man stands up when a woman enters a room. How many men do that? Etiquette also says a man (husband or boyfriend, not the waiter) pulls out the seat for a woman. how often does does that happen? So why do those that want to live in the past want to pick and choose trivial things? Etiquette means women in corsets and beign subservient to their male partners? when does that happen. Why ick one thing and ignore all the others?

What you mention are cultural changes that have taken place. Wearing a baseball cap in the main dining room or any fine restaurant is still considered uncouth. Now. It is not living in the past to pick on that. That might change in the future but it hasn't yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Tank tops are prohibited in the MDR, Blu, Luminea and any of the specialty restaurants. They are not prohibited in the pool area or in the buffet. However, I fail to see why it is easier to throw on a sleeveless shirt instead of a T-shirt. It;s disgusting when anyone with arm pit hair leans over the self-serve buffet.

My comments were in reference to the poster stating that men should only wear tank tops in a gym or when working out. Also, do you really think every guy who wears a sleeveless t-shirt has hair sticking out?

What you mention are cultural changes that have taken place. Wearing a baseball cap in the main dining room or any fine restaurant is still considered uncouth. Now. It is not living in the past to pick on that. That might change in the future but it hasn't yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is considered uncouth to some people, and not uncouth to others. It is already changing.

wow,

we're considering choosing Celebrity for our next cruise but the fact that it must be EXPLAINED that men should not wear hats (of any kind) in a restaurant makes us thinking again :mad:

Don't put to much into some of these comments. Celebrity is an excellent cruise line!

If X does not object to wearing a tank top in the MDR then I say go for it. It's your vacation. There will always be someone on the ship not pleased with what someone is wearing. Can't make everyone happy.

X does object to it because they put it in their dress code that you can't. I don't think respecting the rules of a host is such a stretch. And if you didn't read the rules, then don't get huffy when you're asked to follow them like 99% of the rest of everyone on the same vacation is doing. This notion that you can ignore all rules of decorum because you're out of town is absurd.

I’m a nice guy, 50’s, affluent, sociable, classy. I have a hard time grasping that Celebrity is so stuffy that I would be frowned on for wearing a plain baseball cap to breakfast.

Bottom line is that if you wear it into the main dining room, you may be asked to remove it, and you shouldn't be surprised since they tell you in advance not to do it. If it's really that big of a deal, I'd suggest you eat in the buffet where it's still rude but not verboten.

I’m a nice guy, 50’s, affluent, sociable, classy. I have a hard time grasping that Celebrity is so stuffy that I would be frowned on for wearing a plain baseball cap to breakfast.

You are neither sociable nor classy if you would insist on wearing a baseball cap in the dining room at any meal. Further, do not lay that at Celebrity's doorstep. This is true of any cruise line, restaurant, etc. Its your fellow diners who would object.

wow,

we're considering choosing Celebrity for our next cruise but the fact that it must be EXPLAINED that men should not wear hats (of any kind) in a restaurant makes us thinking again :mad:

We just cruised on Solstice in company with 273 citizens from Deutschland! Great people and great fun......and not one of them wore a baseball cap in any dining venue!

Don't be discouraged Yoshi, most Americans understand what good manners are, like the Germans, and 99% don't wear baseball caps while eating. The other 1% just don't get it and are easy to ignore.

wow,

I have never heard it having to be explained before. This is a new one on me. Seriously, you might by some odd chance see someone uncouth enough to wear a hat or a wifebeater in the main restaurant, but Celebrity is the least likely mainsteam cruise line for that type of passenger. They are usually on Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean.

X does object to it because they put it in their dress code that you can't. I don't think respecting the rules of a host is such a stretch. And if you didn't read the rules, then don't get huffy when you're asked to follow them like 99% of the rest of everyone on the same vacation is doing. This notion that you can ignore all rules of decorum because you're out of town is absurd.

Some people have been ignoring the dress code for the 14 years we've been cruising. That's why it's been changed three times, because they never had the guts to enforce it. People say, "we're on vacation so we can dress the way we want".

There next dress code change will probably be "Please wear clothes". There will still be people who will defy it because the rules don't apply to them.