Carry on luggage

chrislo

Not to sound "snarky" but why would you want to. It is so much nicer to turn it over to the porters at curbside.

You don't have to worry about hauling it up stairs, ramps and escalators, not to mention the crowded conditions encountered in the waiting lounge.

If lost luggage was a big problem, CC would be lit up with complaints.

I don't have as many cruises under my belt as most folks on here, but have never had a problem.

Now delivery to your stateroom may not always be the fastest, but it eventually arrives.

Not to sound "snarky" but why would you want to. It is so much nicer to turn it over to the porters at curbside.

You don't have to worry about hauling it up stairs, ramps and escalators, not to mention the crowded conditions encountered in the waiting lounge.

I don't have as many cruises under my belt as most folks on here, but have never had a problem.

Now delivery to your stateroom may not always be the fastest, but it eventually arrives.

If someone has necessary medications, they should always do a carry on. I agree though, losing the luggage boarding isn't too common.

Is there a maximum size to the luggage we carry on the Escape? We would prefer to carry on our 2 pieces as my husband is always afraid it will get lost.

Strongly recommend that you just leave your bags with the porters.

There are too many people encumbered by luggage. Hauling it through security, then the check-in line, then up to the waiting area. Then hauling bags up the gangway and dragging it everywhere you want to go on the ship. Sometimes waiting a couple of elevators until there is space for you and your bags. Hauling your bags down the buffet line or through the narrow aisles in the restaurant.

You're on vacation. Let the porters and ship's crew worry about getting your bags to you.

We take a half dozen cruises a year and have never had any bags go missing.

Make sure that you have a name tag on your bag.

Make sure the right cabin number is on your luggage tag.

We always stick a tag on the side and top handle of the suitcase, just in case one gets ripped off.

Do you need to tip when handing the luggage over to be checked (ie, to the porters at curbside)?

not required but I think it is just common curtesy as a thank you. If you can't afford to tip those who provide a service for you, then you shouldn't be traveling.

My wife and I always take a carry on. We put at least half our clothes in it, meds, personal stuff etc...Its not big deal, has wheels and its no problem at all. We get on the ship around 11:30, go eat in the main dining room and by 1:00pm cabins are normally ready

Unlike airport's gate dragons, there are no sizer or scale at the terminal check-in area for cruises - I've seen 24" and 25" expandable carry-on (soft sides) going thru the x-ray scanner and nobody blinked, as long as you can physically handle it yourself - those can easily weight as much as 20 kg or 44 lbs. - as you are on your own. Unlike disembarkation, there are no porter assistance and don't even think any crew members will be available nor allowed to assist.

Easiest is to check the luggage & keep a personal or carry-on bag of essentials, as 99% of the times, your baggage will be delivered ... might sometimes get delayed due to mix-ups or diverted to the "naughty room" if possible banned items were suspected/spotted during security screening behind the scene.

We always cross-pack our items (that's where packing cubes come in really handy, especially with the newer *Away class ships & their open shelves - half of mine in her's and vice versa. Plus, always a set of clothes including swimwear, sleeping ones with the personal bag for boarding - amazing what one can pack in a small/mid-size backpack with planning & experience, along with gadgets & medications, etc.

The only time we learned that 3 pax on our NCL cruise this year (Breakaway) never got their baggage delivered - there's an out all effort to locate 3 bags by day 2, never found - up until the last evening before disembarkation (spoke to our Room Steward) as flyers were distributed to all the staterooms asking fellow guests for assistance to locate, search & return them, no questions asked. Keep in mind ship's gift shops typically don't carry underwears, socks & pantyhoses, etc. - hopefully, Guest Services went above & beyond to provide them with something as the island stop was day 4.

Boarding ramps for the *Away ships are long & sometimes steep on the incline, depending on the pier/terminal facilities. Enjoy your cruise & exercise - make sure those spinners or rollers have sturdy wheels to ride over the bumps. :D

Do you need to tip when handing the luggage over to be checked (ie, to the porters at curbside)?

We give a tip, similar to curbside porters at airport terminal. Only difference is that airport porters require it, while port terminal porters simply appreciate.

Edited by easyboy

On our last cruise, we kept looking for the porters when we arrived, but just plain overlooked them. When we entered the terminal, I was told that I could drop off my luggage after registering, but we kept getting funneled toward the ship, so we just gave up and kept our luggage. I had a large, large suitcase, but it wasn't a problem running it through security. It also wasn't a big deal rolling it up the ramp. The only minor inconvenience was having to leave one of us with the luggage while the other went through the buffet for lunch. That was overwhelmingly outweighed by the wonderful feeling of being completely unpacked 15 minutes after the cabins were opened, long before other luggage had been delivered.

We already carry our luggage off the ship because I've never liked the idea of our luggage sitting almost totally unsecured in the port. It also allows us to disembark at whatever time we want and saves time (even though it's just a few minutes) not having to hunt for the luggage in the terminal. Now, I may start bringing my luggage on board as well.

If someone has necessary medications, they should always do a carry on. I agree though, losing the luggage boarding isn't too common.

Medications can be carried on in a large woman's purse or a small carry on. It seems like the OP's husband is paranoid regarding the possibility of checked luggage being lost. As was already posted, if this happened in epidemic proportions, the boards would be lit up even more so than topics such as booze smuggling or smoking on balconies. [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Medications can be carried on in a large woman's purse or a small carry on. It seems like the OP's husband is paranoid regarding the possibility of checked luggage being lost. As was already posted, if this happened in epidemic proportions, the boards would be lit up even more so than topics such as booze smuggling or smoking on balconies. [emoji3]

That's nice. As stated, meds should always be carried on - whether it's in a purse or a carry on :rolleyes: As for being "paranoid", that is a little harsh. It only takes one lost bag to ruin a trip. If he wishes to carry it on, what's the big deal?!

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

That's nice. As stated, meds should always be carried on - whether it's in a purse or a carry on :rolleyes: As for being "paranoid", that is a little harsh. It only takes one lost bag to ruin a trip. If he wishes to carry it on, what's the big deal?!

Was it harsh for you to imply that your bag will be "misplaced" if you do not tip your Porter as you stated back in post #11?

Edited by SNJCruisers