Umbrellas for excursions?

okeytaco

Just learned it's rainy season for 2 of our ports. Many tour companies provide umbrellas or ponchos in case of rain. This time we booked our excursions through Carnival. Does anyone know if Carnival provides rain gear? While it wouldn't do much good for the beach excursion it might help for the ruins tour.

Where are you going? It really depends on the port! For example, in the Caribbean, there will be no umbrellas....it's hot, even in rain...and it doesn't last long! I wouldn't expect umbrellas for ruins, either...it won't be cold, at least!

Hi

If you are travelling in the Caribbean, most of the time when it is supposed to rain, it isn't likely to rain all day. More likely a passing downpour...1/2 - 1 hr. or so and then it is hot and humid just like before. An hour later you wouldn't even be able to tell that it had rained. (if it hits you at all)

They do sell the blue "carnival" ponchos on the ship, but you could buy some at Walmart for a few dollars if you are worried.

hope this helps...I wouldn't worry

have a great cruise

Back in 2012, we took the Altun Ha Mayan site & River Wallace excursion through Carnival at our stop in Belize. While on the river portion, it started to rain and the tour guides handed out those cheap, single use disposal rain ponchos to everyone. They stated that Carnival required them to do so. I don't know if this is still practiced.

That same trip, the next day we were at Roatan and took another Carnival excursion to Maya Key. It poured cats and dogs as soon as were loading the boat to go over to Maya Key and continued through the entire trip over. We were given nothing by the guides.

Basically I think it probably depends on the agreement between the tour operator and the cruise line. I would bring your own umbrella or get a few of those cheap disposal rain ponchos IMO.

Carnival sells ponchos by the gangway on rainy days so I doubt they would be provided, although it depends on the tour operator. We went ziplining on a rainy day in St. thomas and they had ponchos for those who wanted them. We usually pack our own cheap ones from the dollar store just in case, and a small umbrella. It rains frequently in the Caribbean and you never really know when a downpour will just show up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just learned it's rainy season for 2 of our ports. Many tour companies provide umbrellas or ponchos in case of rain. This time we booked our excursions through Carnival. Does anyone know if Carnival provides rain gear? While it wouldn't do much good for the beach excursion it might help for the ruins tour.

We take collapsible umbrellas on every cruise (they work as parasols in the sun and traditional during rain) and lightweight windbreaker type jackets that fold up into their own pockets (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019PU8UD4/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1479534650&sr=8-28&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=windbreaker+folds+into+pocket)