Gratuity Question on New Alcohol Package

Can anyone help me? I found this in the fine print of the new alcohol package on RCCL's site:

Gratuity may be added to or included in the published price depending on itinerary.

Does this mean it will be added when I purchase it or will it be added on for each drink purchased?

Thanks to all of you!!

Can anyone help me? I found this in the fine print of the new alcohol package on RCCL's site:

Gratuity may be added to or included in the published price depending on itinerary.

Does this mean it will be added when I purchase it or will it be added on for each drink purchased?

Thanks to all of you!!

Gratuity is always included when you initially purchase the beverage package. No gratuity is added (unless you want to give more) at the time you order drinks.

Bob's response is correct. By the time you have your package the gratuities are included. What Royal is telling you is the $44 per day or whatever will, depending on the sale, have the 18% gratuity added when you pay for it at checkout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gratuity is always included when you initially purchase the beverage package. No gratuity is added (unless you want to give more) at the time you order drinks.

I had to re-read this a couple of times. You will pay 18% when you purchase a drink on board if you are paying as you go. If you buy the unlimited beverage package, the 18% gratuity will be added at the time you purchase the package. So once you're on the ship, you pay nothing. One of my and my wife's favorite things to do is to keep our receipts and tally up at the end of the day what we would have paid for the drinks had we bought them à la carte. It's fun to see how soon we get to the "break even" point!

One of my and my wife's favorite things to do is to keep our receipts and tally up at the end of the day what we would have paid for the drinks had we bought them à la carte. It's fun to see how soon we get to the "break even" point!

How do you do that? My receipts with the DP read $0. I did a ruff tally on the TV statement at $12 per drink, but even then some didn't get posted to my account.

How do you do that? My receipts with the DP read $0. I did a ruff tally on the TV statement at $12 per drink, but even then some didn't get posted to my account.

We usually take the receipt and write down the price of each drink we had from what the menu says it would've cost.

Thanks to all of you!!

It will added to the drink package when you purchase it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Previous posters are correct that the gratuity will be added at the time you purchase the beverage package - you do not get charged each time you get a drink. However, if you are on certain sailings (generally in the EU) the published price for the beverage package incules the gratuity, thus the wording in the original "fine print" quote.

Previous posters are correct that the gratuity will be added at the time you purchase the beverage package - you do not get charged each time you get a drink. However, if you are on certain sailings (generally in the EU) the published price for the beverage package incules the gratuity, thus the wording in the original "fine print" quote.

Mountains to sea is correct. We did a Greek Isle cruise and the gratuity was included in the published price of the drink. So no gratuity was added. I believe that this is done in Europe because it is not custom to tip in Europe like it is in the U.S. so RCCL simply adds the tip into the price of the drink.

Edited by papaflamingo

Thanks to all of you!!

Is nothing standard across the RCI fleet any more?

Is nothing standard across the RCI fleet any more?

Yes. It's standard that the 18% gratuity is paid. Sometimes I've bought it and grats was already folded into the price. Sometimes it's added at checkout. But the standard is that it gets paid.

Yes. It's standard that the 18% gratuity is paid. Sometimes I've bought it and grats was already folded into the price. Sometimes it's added at checkout. But the standard is that it gets paid.

Very true.

They add it when you buy the package

We are also taking a bunch of dollar bills to tip the bartenders individually.

We do the same thing as the gratuity per drink amounts to very little over the course of the day. If one drinks 10 drinks per day, it's less than $1 per drink, so whenever we have the package, we tip a buck extra per drink.

You buy a package for the Mediterranean cruises and not only is 18% added, they also add VAT. On our Med cruise that VAT is 10%. So 28% added.

On a med cruise you will be subject to spanish tax on all onboard spend while in a spanish port,so if you waited about 1 hour after ship sails you would have saved 10% on your package.

Well stated. :)