Will I need our passports when getting off in Caribbean ports? (Canadian citizenship)

lucywestie

Only ever been to the Caribbean once and that was nearly 30 years ago and with the military.

This Xmas we are on the 5 night and 11 night Navigator cruise going to various islands. We have Canadian citizenship so we will require our passports in the various islands when disembarking? (Antigua, Aruba, Bonaire, St. Kitts, Nassau, San Juan)

We have never taken it off. We take the following - Ship cruise card, drivers license for gov't photo ID, credit card and some cash. We do have photos of our passports uploaded on google photos which we can access from my cell phone. If you miss the ship they will have your passport waiting shore side with the cruise line's port agent.

Only once over 30 cruises have we ever had to show more than our cruise card (our drivers license) and it was this past August in San Juan.

Edited by A&L_Ont

As a Canadian on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, when going on cruises in the Caribbean I only had to show my passport on boarding the first day and on disembarking in Florida on the final day.

You can get some info on the foreign affairs website in Canada and on the state department website for the US that gives info on boarder issues traveling from the US to the Caribbean

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will need your passport to board the ship, if you dont have one you won't get on the ship, once you are on you wont need to show any country you passport where you stop. the cruise line up loads you info to the immigration of all these countrys electronically and if there was a problem they would call you in your cabin to come and talk to them.

Happy sailing

Check with Canadian government website, not a bunch of strangers on a website.

But those "strangers" who have taken many cruises know the correct answer.

~

OP, my husband is Canadian and has never had to show his actual passport in port. We always take picture ID and our ship's card. That is all you need. The passengers have actually been "cleared" by local authorities before they even disembark the ship. NOW... do you want to take your passport off the ship and into port? That is a completely personal decision. Many passengers just keep it in the safe, and many take it into port with them. That one is up to you.

Have fun. :)

What do they have to do with any Caribbean requirement?

Good point. :)

The Compasses and Navigators (depending on cruise line) I've seen for the Caribbean cruises we've been on state to bring a photo ID with your keycard and that's it. And those are for everyone to read, and heed not just USA citizens.

I personally take my passport with me except to private islands like Coco or Castaway Cay (again depending on cruise line), because that's my comfort level. But all they say to bring is govt photo ID.

Check with Canadian government website, not a bunch of strangers on a website.

Yeah, that's the problem with strangers on a website, lots of bad advice...like your suggestion, for example.

To the OP, I've done 4 different Caribbean itineraries, no port stops I've been to have required any passenger to carry their passport. Only your sea pass card is needed to get off the ship and usually that is all you need to get back on too. Occasionally, port security will need to see an ID but any government issued picture ID has always been acceptable. I've even used my retired military ID.

Only ever been to the Caribbean once and that was nearly 30 years ago and with the military.

This Xmas we are on the 5 night and 11 night Navigator cruise going to various islands. We have Canadian citizenship so we will require our passports in the various islands when disembarking? (Antigua, Aruba, Bonaire, St. Kitts, Nassau, San Juan)

As I remember Nassau, the port authorities check for photo ID and your SeaPass card to re-enter the dock area.

It's just government bureaucracy. Some person sitting on a stool before you get to the dock. There is no way this person could possibly know if this photo ID is a forgery or not?

Once you get past this guy it's not as though the cruise ship is going to let you board.

We carry an ID for just that, identification, in the unlikely event we are injured or unconscious. RCI has always recommended you keep your passport in the safe.

It's just government bureaucracy. Some person sitting on a stool before you get to the dock. There is no way this person could possibly know if this photo ID is a forgery or not?

Once you get past this guy it's not as though the cruise ship is going to let you board.

We carry an ID for just that, identification, in the unlikely event we are injured or unconscious. RCI has always recommended you keep your passport in the safe.

I've never seen Royal recommend that you keep your passports in your safe.

In the cruise compass on port days it states, "Bring your picture identification or proof of citizenship and seapass card"

I've never seen Royal recommend that you keep your passports in your safe.

In the cruise compass on port days it states, "Bring your picture identification or proof of citizenship and seapass card"

Ken, it's not on every port and ship. It's there for Med cruises. What you quoted is not the same on every itinerary. If RCI is anything it's inconsistent! :cool:

Your right it doesn't say passport but what other document do you think that the majority of people would be travelling with that proves their citizenship?

Exactly, people need to keep in mind that a DL does not establish citizenship. A valid passport does.

You don't even need a passport on a closed loop Caribbean cruise