Annoying dietary question :)

love2traveljen

Good day everyone! I know some of these dietary questions can be annoying, but I need to ask [emoji6] I recently figured out I'm lactose intolerant, if I have it it will give me a bad headache which of course I'd love to be headache free during the cruise!

I'm still learning the tips and tricks on what I can and can not have, But I do love my coffee in the morning with milk. I now substitute it with lactose-free milk. I'm not expecting the cruise to have that but do you think I would be allowed to bring a small thermos with my milk on board? I only need a little bit each morning and a thermos full of it I believe will work. Just want to make sure I'm able to do that as it's a liquid. If so just bring it with my carry on?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't say about lactose-free milk, but they generally have almond and soy milks available. Food, particularly "potentially hazardous food" like dairy brought onboard in non-factory sealed packaging is not allowed (though sometimes gets past security). The fridges in the cabins are not designed to keep hazardous food like dairy at safe temperatures, and even with a thermos, I would be leery of any unsealed product after day 2. You may want to research lactose-free coffee creamers in individual packs.

You should contact Carnival's Special Needs department and ask them to include you on the list with dietary needs. They may also provide you with a list of what is available for you (not completely sure on this one). But the staff will work with you to get proper substitutes. You'll need to watch for dishes made with butter and containing milk or cheese. But as chengkp75 says, the "coolers" in the cabins are not refrigerators and do not keep dairy well.

Hey Jen!

I have some dietary issues myself and need to avoid lactose (among other things) as well. Here is my advice to you!

-Bring Lactaid supplements with you. There are many things that have lactose in them where it may not be obvious. You can take these prior to meals to help reduce or eliminate the effects.

-The Lido buffet carries little cartons of Almond and Soy milk. You can get these to add to your coffee.

-Contacting Carnival will help as well. They will get back to you stating they will make a notation on your booking. You will also need to meet with the Maitre 'd and head waiter of your table to confirm this with them. Some will already know/some will find it news to them, depending on how organized they are.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :cool:

Hey Jen!

I have some dietary issues myself and need to avoid lactose (among other things) as well. Here is my advice to you!

-Bring Lactaid supplements with you. There are many things that have lactose in them where it may not be obvious. You can take these prior to meals to help reduce or eliminate the effects.

-The Lido buffet carries little cartons of Almond and Soy milk. You can get these to add to your coffee.

-Contacting Carnival will help as well. They will get back to you stating they will make a notation on your booking. You will also need to meet with the Maitre 'd and head waiter of your table to confirm this with them. Some will already know/some will find it news to them, depending on how organized they are.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :cool:

Thank you. It's also overwhelming with the amount of dairy that is used in your daily food. The Lactaid supplement does help with my stomach issues but it does not help with the headache. I am glad to hear that the Lido carries little cartons of almond and soy milk, that will definitely help! Thank you very much

For coffee, bring individual packaged creamers. Those don't seem to have any issue with being brought on. My wife has issues with milk, too, and uses the international delights creamers without any problem. You are allowed to bring a small, softsided cooler and the room steward will bring you ice. That will work better than the mini-fridge if you have something that truly needs to be cool.

Look and see if they have small cartons of "shelf stable" lactose-free milk in your grocery....should be in the baking aisle. Bring a couple with you. They have no issues with bringing stuff like that on....

The mini fridge will cool enough to keep it for a week....just prop the cabinet door open, so the fridge gets some air-flow! Fridges in cabinets simply don't get enough air to function properly...so stick something in the cabinet door so it gets air!

Look and see if they have small cartons of "shelf stable" lactose-free milk in your grocery....should be in the baking aisle. Bring a couple with you. They have no issues with bringing stuff like that on....

The mini fridge will cool enough to keep it for a week....just prop the cabinet door open, so the fridge gets some air-flow! Fridges in cabinets simply don't get enough air to function properly...so stick something in the cabinet door so it gets air!

Thanks for the info on the location of the lactose free milk that doesn't need a fridge. I've only been looking in the dietary section of the grocery store and only can find ones that need to be refrigerated. I'll definitely look in the baking aisle next time I'm there.

There should be no problem getting almond, soy, or rice milk if you notify them in advance. This is not at all an uncommon request.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect. I didn't think so, but I have never paid attention in my past cruises as I never had to worry before. Thanks a bunch

Yes, the pills help with stomach issues, and they work great, but I still get a headache even if I take the pills.

I have lactose intolerance as well and never remember reading that it can cause a headache. It causes gas, bloating, cramps and the quick rush to the bathroom. But there is another issue with dairy that can cause headaches and that is dairy allergy. It can cause some of the same symptoms as lactose intolerance but can cause headaches, nausea, respiratory problems, skin and eye itching, along with other problems. Something to discuss with your doctor as some point. If it is a true lactose problem then the amount of milk you would put in your coffee should not be a problem as long as you stick with anything that says 2 grams or less of sugar PER SERVING on the label. You should be fine with 3 to 4 tsp. of 2% milk in your coffee (1 cup only). You can also have cheddar, havarti, longhorn and most of the firm cheeses since the majority of whey has been drained off of them during the aging process. But if this is a milk allergy then none of the lactose rules apply.

I have lactose intolerance as well and never remember reading that it can cause a headache. It causes gas, bloating, cramps and the quick rush to the bathroom. But there is another issue with dairy that can cause headaches and that is dairy allergy. It can cause some of the same symptoms as lactose intolerance but can cause headaches, nausea, respiratory problems, skin and eye itching, along with other problems. Something to discuss with your doctor as some point. If it is a true lactose problem then the amount of milk you would put in your coffee should not be a problem as long as you stick with anything that says 2 grams or less of sugar PER SERVING on the label. You should be fine with 3 to 4 tsp. of 2% milk in your coffee (1 cup only). You can also have cheddar, havarti, longhorn and most of the firm cheeses since the majority of whey has been drained off of them during the aging process. But if this is a milk allergy then none of the lactose rules apply.

Thank you for the info!

Good day everyone! I know some of these dietary questions can be annoying, but I need to ask [emoji6] I recently figured out I'm lactose intolerant, if I have it it will give me a bad headache which of course I'd love to be headache free during the cruise!

I'm still learning the tips and tricks on what I can and can not have, But I do love my coffee in the morning with milk. I now substitute it with lactose-free milk. I'm not expecting the cruise to have that but do you think I would be allowed to bring a small thermos with my milk on board? I only need a little bit each morning and a thermos full of it I believe will work. Just want to make sure I'm able to do that as it's a liquid. If so just bring it with my carry on?

Thanks.

My wife has dealt with this for years. Carnival is really good about it. Contact the Maitre 'd a week before your cruise and ask if they would give you a small carton of it to keep in your mini-fridge, we've had this done for us our last 3 cruises and it beats the heck out of asking a waiter for it all the time because the wait for it can be 1-2 minutes up to a half hour and this is from personal experience.

Also, after you board go to the dining room and let them know of your needs and they will actually take your order the night before so your meal can be ready for when you arrive at dinner, they also will do it for breakfast if you eat breakfast in the main dining room

This is my standard generic allergy/intolerance post. Carnival has been excellent at working with our allergies.

We travel with a group that combined has allergies to nuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

If you are only looking for to add to your hot drinks, might I suggest Coffee Mate. I don't know if you use sugar or not, but Coffee Mate is shelf stable and lactose free. So you don't have to chill it. They sell them in boxes of singles.